Author Topic: Clocks  (Read 16881 times)

ayess

• View Profile
Re: Clocks
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 05:55 AM »
I think you will find that 'fall' is a medieval word for the terminal part of the year. It was taken over to the American colonies by some of the early settlers and died out in England. It is similar to the the word 'program' that was the English spelling until 'posh' people wanted to 'Frenchify' the word. All the same with lunch poshed up to luncheon. Language is a living thing, it never stands still. Stay well, Ayess.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Hi

Happy Easter every body. Unfortunately a very wet one here and two more days of it to come   herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 10:47 AM »
Hope you all have a Happy Easter and lots of easter eggs. Trying to ignore the weather Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 01:03 PM »
hi happy easter to you all , i wont be going to daisy nook to wet ,

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 01:13 PM »
Happy and blessed Easter to everyone. Wet, dark and miserable here in Hampshire. Bit of a wash-out for our Annual Passion play on the High St. Poor lads in loin cloths hoisted up on 3 crosses were shivering & wet! Promising to buck up for Sunday, can only hope! Lent finished yesterday too, I gave up all sweet things, so lead me to those choccy eggs!!
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 01:47 PM »
So Network Rail are shutting part of the West Coast Main Line down for Easter - isn't it great! My son is coming up from London on Saturday for Easter. I just hope he has managed to book a coach; even if he has, the roads will be choc-a-block. I don't remember the LMS shutting major routes down at holiday time apart from accidents.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Victoria Station in Manchester closed over Easter also Fudge

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2015, 04:20 AM »
a happy easter to everyone weather not too bad here so far.. cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2015, 02:37 PM »
Took our dog for a walk around Fairhaven Lake, Lytham this morning and the place was busy even at 11.30am. Weather absolutley georgous - I'll bet Blackpool just up the coast will be busy this Easter though it wouldn't tempt me to go .

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 04:13 PM »
We seem to have been debating this topic for a week or two now but with no clear outcome other than it confuses us a bit. None of this is new. During the war years (I was a babe in arms at the time, so don't have any recollection) we had Double British Summer Time between 1939-45. The clocks were put forward one hour in winter and two hours ahead in summer. I assume that this was to give farmers as much daylight as possible to work on the land. The funny thing is, none of this actually increases the amount of daylight available to us, it merely presents the daylight at the time of the working day when we can use it best (for example, from after we have had breakfast rather than two hours before breakfast etc).

A surprise to me was discovering that we had a peculiar three years (1968-71) experiment where, in the March of 1968, the clocks went one hour forward but, in the autumn, did not return. This scheme was referred to as Permanent Summer or British Standard Time. I just don't recall any of this at all - which I find rather odd. However, the upshot of it all, apparently, was that we went back to "how we were." Anybody out there remember this at all?

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Just letting you all know that the clocks fall back this weekend Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Yes Fudge - I can't believe how quickly it has come round again - seems like only 5 minutes ago that it was summer.

A surprise to me was discovering that we had a peculiar three years (1968-71) experiment where, in the March of 1968, the clocks went one hour forward but, in the autumn, did not return. This scheme was referred to as Permanent Summer or British Standard Time. I just don't recall any of this at all - which I find rather odd. However, the upshot of it all, apparently, was that we went back to "how we were." Anybody out there remember this at all?

I vaguely remember that experiment. Every time there is a proposed change to the current system, there would be people complaining about children having to go to school in the darkness and Scottish farmers being up in arms. 

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 11:48 PM »
I am a 63 Yr old white male, all my life there has been two constants:
1. Africa needs money
2. Israelis and Palestinians hate each other
Apparently nowadays I'm responsible for both.​

Fudge

• View Profile