Author Topic: Clocks  (Read 17905 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Clocks
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Just letting you know that the clocks spring forward this weekend Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
Re: Clocks
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:20 PM »
Thanks, Fudge, start of British Summertime - we lose an hour's sleep 😉
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 10:43 AM »
.... and it's much nicer to take our dog for its evening walk in daylight.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 04:25 PM »
hi our body clocks messed up again, was there some talk that the clocks would remain the same all year  round , :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Think that went out of the door Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:55 PM »
hi our body clocks messed up again, was there some talk that the clocks would remain the same all year  round , :)

That old chestnut comes round every year -  some are for it and some against but the status quo always prevails.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 05:09 AM »
Hi
          They don't move the clocks here in Queensland. I think its the only state that doesn't. Its winter now but you can't tell it is 33 here in Caboolture hotter still in the sun. I will  be glad when the cold weather gets here.   herby

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 05:55 AM »
Hi Herby.........we don't change the clocks here in Western Australia either. Been having mid to high 30's and looking forward to Autumn and Winter for a bit cooler weather. Cyclone Alwyn hit the Northern Territories and wiped out the Banana's, we got a few puffs of wind off that but nothing to write home about.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:40 PM »

At the risk of showing my ignorance of physics/nature/the sciences, I am left wondering which is the "correct" way of establishing the (British) time here. Is it the time we have before we put the clocks forward or the time we have before we put the clocks back? Any experts out there?

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 02:29 PM »
hi d s t invented by g v hudson proposing it in 1895 , i think it took off in april 1916 so it would be before they put the hour on, should remain the same  :)

will e reckit

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:57 PM »
Hi Too shy,
I am definitely no expert but here's my thoughts on the subject.  We are currently in Greenwich Mean Time - which is generally regarded as the international  time reference. By way of an example, aeroplane take off and landing times will usually be logged as GMT in a pilot's logbook.

This weekend we change to BST or British Summer Time which is GMT  + 1 hour.  Europe, currently on GMT +1, will change to GMT + 2 hours.

Hope that answers your question

John

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 01:16 AM »
Hi Too shy,
I am definitely no expert but here's my thoughts on the subject.  We are currently in Greenwich Mean Time - which is generally regarded as the international  time reference. By way of an example, aeroplane take off and landing times will usually be logged as GMT in a pilot's logbook.

This weekend we change to BST or British Summer Time which is GMT  + 1 hour.  Europe, currently on GMT +1, will change to GMT + 2 hours.

Hope that answers your question

John

So, do we stay with GMT and not make any changes at all - ever?

will e reckit

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 12:23 PM »
For as long as I can remember, it has always been the case that clocks go forward 1 hour in Spring and back 1 hour in Autumn.

It must be far more confusing in a very large country like the USA, which has several different time zones across its width.

John

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 03:40 AM »
Here in Southern Ontario we've been on Daylight Saving (Summer) Time since March 9th, when we "sprang forward" that one hour, which is a pain in the neck!   I'm still not used to the time change.  When you put your clocks forward this weekend in Ashton then we'll once again be back to being exactly 5 hours in difference between your time and mine.   For example, when it's 7a.m. here it's already your Noon hour of the same day so I have breakfast while you have lunch!.   In the Fall though, we "Fall back" again that hour, just as you do to your GMT, and except for that couple of weeks when we change times and we're only 4 hours apart, it's back to what I call "normal" with always 5 hrs. difference. 
That's only here in Southern Ontario though, because we have several time zones East to West across Canada and I always have to stop and think what time it is out in Alberta where my niece lives (2 hrs difference) , and it's 3 hours difference beween here and the West Coast where its Pacific Standard Time and where a nephew lives.   As I said - it's a pain in the neck!   :D   
Can't remember exactly where now, but I know there's a couple of places in Canada where they don't change the clocks at all and keep whatever the number of hours they are from Greenwich Mean Time all year round.   Confusing, isn't it?     ::)   

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Confusing, Joyce? You're not kidding. And then we get that other peculiarity, whereby some parts of the globe function on some kind of half hour difference rather than the full hour. So rather than being, for example, three hours in front of GMT, they're three and a half hours in front. Such locations as New Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kabul fall into this category. It isn't just an Asian sub-continent think as it applies to our Australian chums in Darwin and Adelaide also.