Author Topic: wakes week  (Read 7334 times)

greeny

• View Profile
wakes week
« on: August 06, 2009, 06:10 PM »
hi passing market street today ,i see the fair is there noticed that all rides are 1 they make it sound cheap not a patch on when they had it on the market ,i think it was 6d a ride then  :D

Nan

• View Profile
Re: wakes week
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 07:27 PM »
I would have thought they would have had the fair somewhere else now that the market has been rebuilt.
Mind you, as is the norm with Tameside Council, they get something looking nice i.e new paving stones, trees etc, and then let fairground wagons go on it and break it all up. If they keep doing this it isn`t going to last very long. Is This what we pay our Council Tax for?

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Wakes is not like it use to be lots of Trains at Charlestown Station and Oldham Rd Station taking people on there hols every were closed down for the annual 2 weeks but like every think else you have to move with the times . Some things are better some are worse but give me a good fair anytime Fudge

Ashtonian54

Wakes week
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:27 AM »
I remember too!
Especially the year the fair was where the bus station is
and behind Ashton Baths before the by pass was built, where on the waltzers the guy took my half crown for the 6d ride and disappeared. The robbin' b*****d!

oh those halcyon days!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:01 AM »
It was also in the railway goods yrd were Ikeea is now Fudge

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:53 PM »
It would be much better all round if the fair could be sited in a park somewhere. King George`s playing fields would be ideal as it has plenty of space and is close to Ashton town centre. Plus, you would get a much bigger fair and it could be opened in the evenings too.

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33 PM »
I can remember Billy Smarts circus being held on King Georges playing fields.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 02:51 PM »
I don't remember whose circus it was but I remember a parade going under the railway bridge at Charlestown station. I was quite young and had never seen an elephant in the flesh and was very disapointed at how ordinary they looked.  I suppose all the pictures I'd seen had shown them in sparkly costumes and these were just being led in a procession and (worst of all for me *G*) dropping dung as they went.
Since getting older I've learnt to appreciate them but disappointments early in life feel so hard.  *S*

Ashtonian54

Sights & sounds
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Nice one Fudge.
I remember that goods yard and the sounds of steams engines very early in the morning chuffing away!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:54 PM »
hi been by the fair on  market street , not much going on no atmosphere , not the smells and sounds like the old ashton wakes, toffee apples ,  candy floss ,loud  music and the smell of diesel  :D

Ashtonian54

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:30 PM »
hi been by the fair on  market street , not much going on no atmosphere , not the smells and sounds like the old ashton wakes, toffee apples ,  candy floss ,loud  music and the smell of diesel  :D

I can tell, because not a single picture from any of the bloggers that feature Ashton!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:49 AM »
When was this "fair" there? I haven't noticed it on any of my wanders in the area.
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52 AM »
It was still there on Tuesday back of Market Hall Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Wow, Jan. That revived a memory which I had thought might have been a dream- of elephants parading up Turner Lane to King George's Playing Fields, holding on to each other's tails.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Nan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 02:04 PM »
The fair was on from Thursday last week and closed Tuesday teatime this week. Everything had gone when I passed on Wednesday morning. It was due to start in Denton some time Wednesday.