Author Topic: LOST FOR EVER  (Read 10857 times)

greeny

• View Profile
LOST FOR EVER
« on: February 15, 2015, 01:00 PM »
hi i heard on the tv the other week we could loose all the pictures we have put on computer and all other details we have put on the pc , the were saying that in 20 years time the computers could face a memory black out loosing part of our photography history pictures lost for ever , thats why sometimes you cant beat the old fashion ways by taking pictures and having copies done and keep photographs , but saying that in 20 years time i think computers will be a thing of the past with somthing taking its place , :)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
Re: LOST FOR EVER
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 03:32 PM »
I'm not sure if I'll be around in 20 years time, Greeny, as by then I'd be going on 108 yrs. old and I'd hate to see myself in a mirror  :o -  and anyway, all my photos on my p.c., and especially anything else in the way of emails, won't matter to anyone else.....most of the pictures are of my lovely garden which has had to be downsized because of the work I can manage and are just lovely nostalgic times of my own.  I've about 15 rather large albums of old actual snapshots for posterity, of people and places, and special family albums too.     Whatever technical "something" takes the place of p.c.'s is more than inevitable - although as far as I'm concerned, anything that nowadays says "new and improved", always turns out to be a dud!   ;D ;D 

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:25 PM »
maybe people will go back to writing letters then the pen will be mightier than the board .. cheers kennetho

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:35 AM »
I was looking at a programme ont'telly the other week, they showed the rows and rows of punched cards, punched paper tape, magnetic tape, floppy and hard disks in store in the basement of the Congress Building in Washington. There was countless shelves of the stuff. The commentator said that they do not know what is on it but they know it is 'archive material'. They have neither the machines nor the programmes to decipher the stuff but it has been decreed that it must be kept in the hope that sometime someone with be able to read the stuff. Now that really is progress, I don't think. Keep well.  Ayess

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32 AM »
I have lots of Video tapes but since having my free view box with my computer I can't use the video recorder and would love to watch some when there is rubbish on tele. A relative got a neighbour to put 4 on to dvds but it is very expensive to have them done proper. Luckily I know what is on them and they will probably become antiques. Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:42 AM »
I have digitised all my family photos, old and new, and backed them up on an external hard drive and also on USB memory sticks after restoring them in a graphics programme. I canít imagine anything replacing current digital systems but you never know. I have also transferred many of my analogue camcorder tapes to DVD using various DVD recorders. However even this facility is fast disappearing. Ten years ago there were a number of well-known companies making DVD recorders but I was shocked recently to find only two still make them.   

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 09:26 PM »
I also have quite a few videos. so what I did was set it up in the bedroom on a smaller t.v. works out fine for us cheers kennetho

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Hi All, When I saw the heading 'Lost for ever' I thought the forum was discussing politician's and the fact that there integrity was 'Lost for ever'
sorry, my mistake.

Just a thought.......

8) 8) 8) Daftjack.

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Hello Jack,

How are you? hope all goes well with you and yours. Are you still working away from Cape Town? Nice to hear from you and often have a chat about you. (All nice of course)!!!!! My son coming into Africa later this year. He will be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. It was Mount Everest last year.  Sorry to say that all the politicians are still about both in England and Australia. What is to be done with some of ours out here I do not know...............You wonder which childish mouthful they will through at the other side for starters then break all their promises. All in the name of what I have no idea!!!! The mining boom has finished here in the West, of course the politicians are blaming the Ore producers for over producing ??????? I think we will go bust here in the West. Nothing put away for a rainy day. Big spender our Premier Colin Barnett.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 04:12 AM »
Hello Jack,

How are you? hope all goes well with you and yours. Are you still working away from Cape Town? Nice to hear from you and often have a chat about you. (All nice of course)!!!!! My son coming into Africa later this year. He will be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. It was Mount Everest last year.  Sorry to say that all the politicians are still about both in England and Australia. What is to be done with some of ours out here I do not know...............You wonder which childish mouthful they will through at the other side for starters then break all their promises. All in the name of what I have no idea!!!! The mining boom has finished here in the West, of course the politicians are blaming the Ore producers for over producing ??????? I think we will go bust here in the West. Nothing put away for a rainy day. Big spender our Premier Colin Barnett.

That's interesting.  Only recently it sounded  like the boom would last forever.  It's trace elements that are the key to the future. A lot of our electronices depend on them.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Hi All, When I saw the heading 'Lost for ever' I thought the forum was discussing politician's and the fact that there integrity was 'Lost for ever'
sorry, my mistake.

Just a thought.......

8) 8) 8) Daftjack.
Hi Jack         You cant lose something you never had     herby               

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 11:56 PM »
That's interesting.  Only recently it sounded  like the boom would last forever.  It's trace elements that are the key to the future. A lot of our electronices depend on them.

Selling rocks to China wasn't really joined up thinking, it was just a fill in till Chinese production got established and once their dairy and forestry gets into gear NZ will be heading the same way  ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 06:48 AM »

Selling rocks to China wasn't really joined up thinking, it was just a fill in till Chinese production got established and once their dairy and forestry gets into gear NZ will be heading the same way  ;)
Hi
 Australia has always been only interested in the quick quid. The Iron ore should of been smelted here and sold more jobs more money.      herby