Author Topic: old Photographs  (Read 5321 times)

Owd Fella

• View Profile
old Photographs
« on: November 07, 2014, 06:55 PM »
In the late 1940s and early 50s  we lived in Wilshaw Grove Waterloo. There was a farmer who delivered milk in a 2 wheeled horse drawn milk float. he used a gill can to pour milk from a large churn into a jug provided by his customers  Does anybody have a photograph of the float or any idea of the farmers name. Was it Ollerenshaw by any chance? Thanks for any help

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Re: old Photographs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 12:59 PM »
From the 1940s, my parents lived on Newmarket Road and I can remember just such a farmer delivering milk to them as well. He lived just a bit further down from the clock shop on Newmarket Road and he may have well been called Ollerenshaw. I went to his farmhouse once, probably to pay a bill, and was fascinated. In the 1940s and 1950s my Aunt and Uncle lived at No. 46 Wilshaw Grove.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:51 PM »
There are two farms in Littlemoss just past were the gun site was during the war and they are both called
Ollerenshaw,

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I used to deliver papers from Oldham rd down Ney st  at the end of the forties.I think Willshaw Grove if it was on the right along Ney St, down Newmarket rd as far as the last house on the right
Kevin.Faricy

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 01:53 AM »
I used to deliver papers from Oldham rd down Ney st  at the end of the forties. I think Willshaw Grove if it was on the right along Ney St,

That will have been Harmol Grove, Kevin. Wilshaw Grove is off Wood Lane.
Martin

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Thank you Martin.For correcting me it was so long ago
Kevin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 03:19 PM »
Just going off subject a bit but when I used to visit my aunt and uncle on Wilshaw Grove as a boy I could hear the trains chuffing past along the Ashton to Oldham via Park Bridge line as it was quite close.

seabe443

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 05:12 AM »
I believe my father in law, Jim Holt, delivered milk for the Ollerenshaws just after the war.
He lived in the farm hand cottage at buckley hill
Colin