Author Topic: Tanks after ww2  (Read 8317 times)

herby

• View Profile
Re: Tanks after ww2
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 03:23 AM »
Hi
        I was in Egypt from May 50 to December 51. I was in the Canal Zone. I got my medal last year    herby

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 04:25 AM »
after 60 years we got our vets medal for being drafted as bevin boys down the old coal hole..cheers kennetho

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 05:21 AM »
I mentioned in another topic a week or so ago about going to Park Parade railway (not train) station to see the unloading of tanks and bren gun carriers. We kids also so saw a lot of them down in Portland Place (as it used to be), we played on the loading bays of the canal warehouse and the soldiers would bring the vehicles down to test them turning them in skidding turns. My great aunt Bertha reckons one chased her all around Trafalgar Square when she was going up to Hicklings, the green grocers. Ayess

Owd Fella

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Oh my goodness far more interest than I hoped for thanks to you all I will read and inwardly digest. Owd Fella

Artmak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Hi owd fella
I lived on Oldham Road in the late 1940's early 1950's and remember tanks going past our house in the direction of Oldham, they used to shake the house as they went past.  I think they were going from Robinson Kershaw engineers in Dukinfield to Oldham tank garage, on Oldham edge at the top of Henshaw Street in OLdham.
Artmak

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 02:38 PM »
I remember them at Cavendish St. and Oldham road past the library and towards Oldham