Author Topic: Methodist Church in Waterloo  (Read 3134 times)

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
Methodist Church in Waterloo
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I recently bought a reproduction of a 1933 Ordnance Survey map of Daisy Nook and Limehurst. I was surprised to see that there used to be a Methodist Church at the end of Worthington Street next to Waterloo Council School (later Waterloo County Primary School). It had been demolished by the time I started at the school in the mid-1940s but I always thought the ground where it must have stood looked different from the rest of the school field.
There are 2 photos on Tameside Image Archive of a Waterloo Methodist Church but I don't think they relate to this church. Does anyone know when it was demolished and if there are any photos of it? See map below.

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Methodist Church in Waterloo
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I think some one put on about that Church before Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Thanks Fudge - I've done searches on this and the previous forum but nothing came up under 'methodist church'. I guess I'll never know.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 04:14 PM »
Will try and find out for you Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Waterloo Worthington Street United Methodist Chapel, Ashton-under-Lyne, has church records between 1924 and 1943.

That would appear to be the period of its existence as it does not appear on the 1922 map:

It does appear on the 1954 map but may have been out of use at that time. The site has been cleared by the time of the 1962 map.
Martin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Thanks Martin - there are a couple of brief references to it on other sites but it certainly was not there in 1946. There are probably no photos of it though the Ashton Reporter could have something. One wonders why it was built and when and why it closed after such a brief period. Curious.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I see the Genuki family history site is also looking for a photograph of the church.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 11:28 AM »
This is the info I have found. About 23 young men walked away from Waterloo Meths as there teacher who I think was called Mr Perkins who preaching on the young men was frowned upon and was asked to leave the young men followed. They then had the Church on Worthington Street built it was made of wood and corrigated iron while it was built the young men stood and guarded the materials. The 1st Christening took place in 1924,The last Service took place on 2nd Jan 1944. services twice on sundays 1030am and 6pm. It closed as people had started to return to Waterloo Methodist Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Fudge, thank you so much for your research - that is really interesting information and quite a strange story. It's remarkable that it lasted 20 years. I wonder how they heated it in winter if it was made only of wood and corrugated iron. If it had survived a few more years it is possible I might have seen it but I was born too late! Thank you again.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Still trying to find out were the old register is kept also they relied on lay Preachers to take the services Fudge