Author Topic: SCOTLAND  (Read 11133 times)

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTLAND
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Hi All, If you read the following:  http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/09/former-nhs-carers-intensify-strike-over-pay   does it not make you ashamed to be British?

Consecutive British Governments have sold Britain, willy nilly, till there is not much left for them to sell. Britain will soon be a nation of slaves, that have to keep fighting for a living wages, While our erstwhile Governments are laughing all the way to the proverbial bank. Yet Nero fiddles while Rome burns, why???

As to the Royal family, according to history, if Scotland became ( and I hope it will) Independent, The queen would become Queen of the Scots, through her direct line to James the 1st of England & VI of Scotland's Daughter, Elizabeth, (the Winter Queen) who married Fredrick the V. Their Grandson, became George the 1 of England.

As to the Monetary argument, I don't care if we have the pound, or a new currency, just so long as it is SCOTS.

I really cannot understand why English people want to be involved in a purely Scottish matter!!  It is a simple Question to the Scottish Electorate, do you, or do you not, want to be a part of Britain, and the answer, should, and will be, Scottish.

Just a thought........

Daftjack  ;D ;D ;D

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 10:45 AM »
65% saying Yes, after recent Salmond v Darling TV debate.  If they'd been joined by Bliar and Brown, the English would have joined you in cheering for Scottish Independence!!
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 11:03 AM »
If Scotland vote yes we will need a new flag as the Union Jack Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 11:59 AM »
If nothing else, this issue has proved that it only takes half a dozen misguided folk to stir up the water and, before you know it, all the rest are at it. Where's the logic in saying that division will improve a faltering economy? The underlying factor here is that many Scots feel that they have been living under a non-Scottish jackboot for three centuries. Where this belief comes from, heaven only knows as the evidence suggests that we've been getting on very well indeed. The remainder have seen the benefit in being part of a united island where its people have stuck together through thick and thin (not to mention standing shoulder to shoulder at times of conflict) and built a nation that is held in high regard throughout the rest of the world (people are still coming here in droves aren't they?) Sadly, Alex Salmond and his cohort want to dismantle everything that has been created between Scotland and the rest of us for what would appear to be nothing more that selfish greed. Do they really think that running off with their rights to offshore oil supplies will solve all their financial problems? I would be saddened if the Scottish independence vote went in favour of separation as I believe that, collectively, we have so much to gain from being as we are. However, if the separation does come about, I think the Scots might expect a certain amount of backdraught from south of the border - and not all of it will smell sweet.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2014, 12:14 PM »
Well said Too Shy. Alex Salmond and his lieutenant Nicola Sturgeon - fishy by name, fishy by policy.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Hi All,
and built a nation that is held in high regard throughout the rest of the world
The only people who actually believe this, are the ones who live in England.

Everyone OUTSIDE the UK knows that England is the 51st state of the USA. to prove this point, name me a time in the last 50 years where Britain has been at odds with it's masters? I think you would be hard pushed to find one.

If England want Scotland to stay a part of the UK, let them devolve all matter's Scottish to Holyrood, as opposed to Westminster. let the Scots make their own rules, concerning anything Scottish. Then we could have a True Partnership. But I doubt very much that the English would allow that.

Just a thought.........

Daftjack  ::) ::) ::)

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Hi All,
and built a nation that is held in high regard throughout the rest of the world
The only people who actually believe this, are the ones who live in England.

Everyone OUTSIDE the UK knows that England is the 51st state of the USA. to prove this point, name me a time in the last 50 years where Britain has been at odds with it's masters? I think you would be hard pushed to find one.

If England want Scotland to stay a part of the UK, let them devolve all matter's Scottish to Holyrood, as opposed to Westminster. let the Scots make their own rules, concerning anything Scottish. Then we could have a True Partnership. But I doubt very much that the English would allow that.

Just a thought.........

Daftjack  ::) ::) ::)

Get real, Jack. The Westminster Parliament is the British Parliament (ie it embraces and serves the whole of the United Kingdom). While we're on the subject, England does not have its own Parliament and nowhere has it attempted to do so. Neither do the English make "all their own rules". You are reading something into this that just isn't there.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Hi All, No Offence, But I think it is you who should 'get real'. Of course the Parliament is English, it could'nt be anything else.  Currently the United Kingdom is divided into 650 constituencies, with 533 in England, 40 in Wales, 59 in Scotland, and 18 in Northern Ireland. A little one sided, would'nt you say.

How could a population of around 5 million, ever have any real say against a population of around 55 million. It is, and always will be, an ENGLISH Parliament, irrespective of what you might call it, the British Parliament or otherwise, it will ALWAY's put England's needs first, (Maggie Thatcher was a good example of that) numbers don't lie.

As an example, If we had a vote on leaving the European union, and everyone in Scotland voted to stay in, but all those in England voted to leave, everyone in Scotland would just have to lump it. Please don't tell me that is democracy at work, when you have 55 million voting against 5 million, where is the democracy.

Just a thought.....

Daftjack.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Hi All, No Offence, But I think it is you who should 'get real'. Of course the Parliament is English, it could'nt be anything else.  Currently the United Kingdom is divided into 650 constituencies, with 533 in England, 40 in Wales, 59 in Scotland, and 18 in Northern Ireland. A little one sided, would'nt you say.

How could a population of around 5 million, ever have any real say against a population of around 55 million. It is, and always will be, an ENGLISH Parliament, irrespective of what you might call it, the British Parliament or otherwise, it will ALWAY's put England's needs first, (Maggie Thatcher was a good example of that) numbers don't lie.

As an example, If we had a vote on leaving the European union, and everyone in Scotland voted to stay in, but all those in England voted to leave, everyone in Scotland would just have to lump it. Please don't tell me that is democracy at work, when you have 55 million voting against 5 million, where is the democracy.

Just a thought.....

Daftjack.

At the risk of sounding like a cracked record

1. The fact of the matter is that it is a British Parliament and not an English Parliament - with no quibble from the English electorate.

2. As England has no Parliament, Members of Parliament from Scottish constituencies (and Welsh and Irish) are involved in determining the outcomes of "English" matters - with no quibble from the English electorate.

3. Many MPs from English constituencies are not English (ie. they are Scottish, Welsh or Irish in origin) - with no quibble from the English electorate.

4. What Margaret Thatcher has to do with this debate, heaven only knows.

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Hi All, You talk about 'no quibble' from the English electorate. They have a majority of ten to one, in regard to what goes on in parliament, so logically, there never will be any quibble. If Scotland, Wales and Ireland voted together against anything happening in the UK they did not agree with, it would make no difference to the vote, the MAJORITY would still be English.

As to Maggie Thatcher, I use her as an example of someone who did not care what happened North of the Border, because England came first. When she was in power, we had a referendum in Scotland, concerning devolution, What did Maggie and her English cohorts do, come up with the rule, that if you DID'NT vote, it would be entered as a NO vote. Rules made in England, not Scotland.

Please, allow Scotland to Vote it's own future, without all the negative rhetoric coming out of England.

Just a thought......

Daftjack.  :o :o :o

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 10:38 AM »
If you start to look around lots of us have Scotish blood in us. I have always been proud of the fact I have scotish ancesters. And now we can live in peace after years of the Scots and English fighting. hope what ever the outcome is we don't go back to our old ways. And remain civil to each other Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 11:25 AM »
You'll be happy when the votes have been cast then, Jack. Scotland is being allowed to vote for its own future, so you'll be happy with that. But there is no negative rhetoric coming out of the remainder of the United Kingdom (which you mistakenly refer to as England). However, there may be comments, either supportive or critical, about separation, coming out of the remainder of the United Kingdom. Surely, that would be expected.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 05:44 PM »
65% saying Yes, after recent Salmond v Darling TV debate.

I don't know where you got 65% from, Denise. There has never been a majority of Scots in favour of independence.

The most recent YouGov poll (7th Aug) according to the BBC website shows
No - 55%
Yes - 35%
Don't know - 11%

(rounded up to nearest whole numbers)
Martin

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 08:13 PM »
To daftjack I don't think we went in with the Yanks in Vietnam ??? Albert

daftjack

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 08:07 AM »
Hi All, Hi Albert, You are 100% right, we did not go into Vietnam, nor did we oppose it, We only had 'observers' there. I find it strange that Tony Abbot (Australian PM) has talks with Philip hammond, then a couple of day's later comes out with the following paragraph:
"I think that the people who would like to see the break-up of the United Kingdom are not the friends of justice, the friends of freedom, and the countries that would cheer at the prospect... are not the countries whose company one would like to keep."

What Countries do you think he would be talking of? Ireland? Bosnia? Ukraine?

Just a thought.......

Daftjack  :o :o :o