Author Topic: Snipe Transport Cafe and Cheethams Transport  (Read 4455 times)

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Snipe Transport Cafe and Cheethams Transport
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:35 AM »
Now the site of the retail park, but can anybody remember where the transport cafe was ?, I'm pretty sure it was directly opposite the Snipe Inn but the general area has changed so much in the last 50 years it's almost beyond recognition. Cheethams Transport had a yard behind the cafe but they're also long gone, can vaguely remember somebody telling me Reyners had taken them over but can't be sure, anybody got any info or photos ?, Cheers in advance.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Snipe Transport Cafe and Cheethams Transport
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16 AM »
I can only remember the allotments down that area. remember transport cafe in Trafalger Sq. Fudge

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Hi Kiwi I think you are right it was a red brick building and the yard behind was later a car sales lot called Bardsleys I had a Rover SD1 V8 from them, and next to the Snipe pub was another cafe only the size of a garden shed on the lane going on the Moss

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I used to get petrol  at Blue Star.The cafe was next door, set well back from the road.Big glass windows either side of the doorway.The car park was an unmade up shambles especially when wet.
Still using SS cutlery freebies from gas purchases, 50 years old!!

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:34 AM »
Many thanks for the replies, my girlfriend (don't tell Mrs Kiwi  ;) ) used to deliver newspapers there, she'd suck in a lungful of fresh air, dash inside, chuck the paper on the counter and dash out before inhaling any of the fug inside the place  :)
Albert, I remember seeing a SD 1 with a bumper sticker that said "Own the car, still paying for the petrol"  ;) Nice motor, the cops used them as 'jam butty' cars when I worked for them.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:31 AM »
Hi Albert
                Thanks you just knocked the brain box. I remember that little wooden shop at the side of the pub. I used to go weeding just up from there. The pay was sixpence a drill. I wonder what they are paying now  hertby

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Hi Kiwi I know you are in N/Z but in the passed you have had Land Rovers. There are some Ex Australian Army land Rover (Perentie)
with 3.9 litre engine on EBay for 10.000 low mileage have you any idea what kind of price they are going for in Aus if they can come over here and make a profit Thanks Albert 

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 12:25 AM »
Albert, they seem to go for anything from $A8000 or around 4500 upwards depending on specs, mileage etc, here's a link to a dealership that seems to know about them http://www.landybitz.com.au/products/series-parts-2  ;)

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 08:38 PM »
Hi Kiwi Thanks for your info and can see were the profit is being made thanks again Albert