Author Topic: Solicitors on King Street Dukinfield  (Read 10301 times)

mikep56

• View Profile
Solicitors on King Street Dukinfield
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone remember the name of the solicitors who used to be on King Street and, if known, are they still going and where they moved to?

Thanks
When you become senile, you won't know it.
- Bill Cosby

Albert

• View Profile
Re: Solicitors on King Street Dukinfield
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Ken Pickup was on King st and Underwoods before that,after Ken died a Miss Smith came then she went in the the group in the Old fire station in Ashton.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 10:28 AM »
The Old Fire Station is Bromley, Hyde and Robinsons Solicitors. Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Ken Pickup was on King st and Underwoods before that,after Ken died a Miss Smith came then she went in the the group in the Old fire station in Ashton.

I remember their offices (Underwoods) on King Street when I was a boy. Presumably it was one of the family firm (James?) who was a member of the commitee set up to obtain borough status for the town (1898?). I found evidence of a will in the 1930s which Underwoods were handling and the address given was 111, King Street. Not uncommon in those days to have streets named after prominent councillors, mayors and aldermen and we have evidence in Dukinfield with Underwood Street, Brice Street, Blocksagages Street etc. Born in the wrong side of town with very little earning capacity or rights to property, my parents and grandparents would have had very little use for a solicitor in those bygone years so we merrily walked past those offices every day of the week with hardly a clue as to what kind of business was transacted inside. Same for you Albert?

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Hi Too shy we went to Ken Pickup when we bought our first four room cottage on Astley st (another name from the past) that
would be early 1950 from Eric Bourne the hairdresser on King st .Pickups was then lower down King st passed the traffic lights and still trading as Underwoods.later he moved up passed the lights on the other side of King st. We do have an avenue with the same name but cant find a link Albert 

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 01:18 AM »
Hi Too shy we went to Ken Pickup when we bought our first four room cottage on Astley st (another name from the past) that
would be early 1950 from Eric Bourne the hairdresser on King st .Pickups was then lower down King st passed the traffic lights and still trading as Underwoods.later he moved up passed the lights on the other side of King st. We do have an avenue with the same name but cant find a link Albert

Eric Bourne, that name takes us back a bit, doesn't it, Albert? It would also put the fear of God into the hearts of little boys from the immediate post war era as Eric had no time, at all, for the little blighters and made it quite clear that they weren't welcome in his salon. I can picture him now, clipping away round the back of some bloke's head, fag tightly gripped in his clenched lips yet still able to puff, blow (fag ash, mostly, which cascaded all over the unsuspecting customer), whilst keeping up an incessant stream of nattering, chattering, moaning and groaning (he was a grumpy so and so). Not the most enjoyable of experiences. Better was a trip to either Norton's (?) on Wharf Street or the Polish chap (known locally as "the jam roll")  who was also down King Street but closer to Dooley's School of Dancing. He always finished off by singeing the hair at the back of your head with a lighted taper. Not sure what that was for but it gave off a dreadful smell, but the haircut was always superb.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:08 PM »
That reminds me of when my Dad would get a haircut - he said they singed the ends but he never said what good it did, or why it was done!   Anyone know?   Interesting - although probably shouldn't be asked on this topic!   :-\

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:10 AM »
Joyce. "Singeing" was used a century ago. Barbers believed it prevented the hair follicles from Bleeding. and stopped it by sealing. it was  unfounded of course, so the use of tapers etc, ended.
Brian

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 01:20 PM »
Thanks, Brian!   ;D   I knew I was getting pretty old, but I hadn't realized I was witness to a "century old" practice!   :o  ;D ;D  I wonder what else I remember that's been put to rest!!  Joyce

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Window shopping!!Especially on Stamford St.
Shutterbug in the flesh.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Any one remember the monkey walk on Stamford St at weekends ??

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45 PM »
oh yes I do does that make me one of the monkeys?? cheers kennetho

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Gee Albert,  You are certainly  bringing back some very old memories form the Sunday afternoon walk. Boys one way & girls the other.  Quite a lot of the guys & gals got together there & I know of a couple of them that married later. It was a very rare to see any trouble there but there was always a copper not too far away --usually on the other side od Stamford street in some shop doorway.  --Jayess

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 01:31 PM »
My Mum and Dad used to reminisce about the 'Monkey Run' on Stamford Street and about walking up one side and down the other trying to"click". (When did you last hear that word?)

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 04:33 AM »
It must have been in the early forties that it changed  whether it was the Stamford St  run first, and around the Market Hall second, maybe vice-versa. I know I trooped up and down and around and around in my teens during the War Years  till I joined up in Dec 44. Lots of pretty lassies in Ashton. All the girls I've loved before. Know that song>>