Author Topic: Healthy Eating  (Read 44815 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Healthy Eating
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:06 AM »
Yesterday at school they had a Healthy Eating day at 10 45 children of all ages mixed in different groups to different things the group I went to help with were tasting different fruits. Pomegranate,Blueberries,three different types of Melon,Pineapple,Mango and Kiwi, You should have seen some of the children's faces they said we do not like any of them. The teacher blindfolded the children in turns to try and guess what fruit it was and then each child tried a piece. Some of the children had never tried some of them who were saying they did not like them at the end of the lesson most children had tried everything and were surprised that the really enjoyed them. The Melon and Pomegranate were the favorite after the Kiwi. It is strange what people say they don't like but have never tried it what do you say you don't like but have never tried Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Healthy Eating
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:47 PM »
I'll bet many of the teachers hadn't tried some of those fruits!

Three different kinds of melon?
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21 PM »
The one taking the children I was with had not tried Pomegranate. I have tried them all but I don't like Melon or Mango Fudge

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:48 PM »
I have never tried or ever fancied oysters.kennetho

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:48 PM »
I'm pretty rubbish with any seafood. What I am fed up with is my addiction to sugar.  This Christmas particularly Christmas Cake, Shortbread and peppermint creams. I have to stop, but really crave after a meal.

Granddaughter aged two is very picky unles I can make her food into a face and persuade her to eat the eyes the ears the nose the mouth etc.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 01:49 AM »
I like prawns but with onions and no sauce and I like Scampi but none of the other shell fish never tried Oysters But love Christmas cake must admit I like a bit of sweet stuff after a meal Fudge

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 05:48 AM »
oh yes sweet stuff after a meal is a must for me and of course a chocolate bar now and then. yum yum cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Milk chocolate is my weakness, particularly Cadburys. Just before Christmas, Asda had a special offer of 3 boxes of Milk Tray for 10 (normal price 5 per box). I bought three boxes, smuggled them into the house and hid them, knowing I would get a lot of flak from Mrs SoN if she saw them. In addition my son bought me a large box of Thorntons chocolates (yum yum,) and my elderly next door neighbour gave me a box of Black Magic. By New Years day I had devoured them all.
Death By Chocolate anyone?

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 04:02 PM »
cadburys milk chocolate top of my list when I was in my teens and played football I always had a bar in my kit bag and when we were kids first thing I went for on Christmas day was the selection boxes that was always there cheers kennetho

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 05:44 AM »
When I was growing up we ate what was put in front of us, knowing full well if we didn't we'd get a lecture from Mum or Dad.  There wasn't much I didn't like (would rather eat raw rather than cooked carrots though) but mostly we were served all the usual meat, fish and veggie dishes and stews, including tripe and all things like that.  Love liver and onions.  Mum swore by oysters on the shell to make her feel better when we went to Blackpool for the day. but I've never been able to slide them down myself!    One thing I absolutely hate and that's garlic served or incorporated in any form.  Ugh!   Now, in my old age, my digestive system lets me know it doesn't like dairy foods and complains miserably!   Milk and cheese were my favourites.    However, I now try to eat "healthy", like lots of raw veggies (with a little nice Ranch dip), and eat as much fresh fruits as I can (no exceptions), but I'm afraid I've developed a really strong passion for desserts!!   I call them "comfort foods"!   I love rice pudding, fruit pies of all kinds (especially rhubarb, cherry and apple. except the pastry give me terrible indigestion), as well as dark Christmas cake filled with fruit and nuts.   I'd eat any dessert offered with whipping cream piled on top but that too is a no-no!.      As for chocolate!!!  Just don't leave any near me or it will disappear in no time flat.   I can never eat just one or two or part of a bar, and I have to hide it from my own eyes so it won't all disappear at one go.   I, too, received boxes of chocolates as Christmas gifts besides the box of Pot of Gold I bought for myself, and I sure wish I had some will-power to ignore those delicious goodies!   One was a box of 48 Connoisseur Chocolate Brandy Beans (imported from Germany) which are definitely addictive!   I'm trying to save the last six or so in case I have a chocolate panic attack, because all the rest are now gone and the snowstorms are still preventing me from getting out to the shops!    However, they do say that chocolate is good for you - especially dark chocolate!   ;) ;D ;D

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Joyce Chocolate is from a coco bean that grows so it must be healthy ha ha I love Garlic and now I am older like more spicy food but like you some foods like pastry,kippers and hot cross buns repeat for ages Fudge

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11 PM »
It's a funny thing about garlic. My parents were very traditional in their food tastes and when me and Mrs SoN lived in Diggle we had my parents to Christmas dinner. Mrs SoN put some garlic into one of the ingredients and they both liked it (though we didn't tell them what it was). If they had known before the meal they would not have eaten it ('foreign muck').

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:35 PM »
I am 51, but only really only noticed Garlic about 10 years ago, and I love it ! Never enough garlic or onions in any dish, I could eat onions for ever, i love them raw and cooked !
I love prawns too, but only small ones, I can't eat big tiger prawns, they make me squirm !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Hi Joyce Son, I just had a little smile! Like your mum saying Oysters made her well, Joyce. My father used to say the oyster 'settled his tummy' he had dudeanal ulcers. Well it seemed to work, so maybe he was right. I remember the times when he used to 'slurp' the oysters down. I think I take after him as of all the many sea foods, I can eat oysters nearly any time. Your parents Son, anything out of the ordinary like Garlic and it was 'foreign muck'. Father would not have fruit on his main meal or salad, he used to say that was for 'Pudding" strange at the end of his life though, he took to eating Italian Ravioli - garlic though was a no no! Like all of you we were brought up on the basic foods, Sunday Joints, Fish and three veggies. If you did not eat what was presented to you, you just went without until the next meal! Fudge, I love all Melons and particularly Honey Dew Melon. I cut it in half, scoop out the pips, chop some of the flesh up and mix it with Fresh Salmon and garlic along with a bit of Basil, pour over a little sea food cream and finish it off with prawns on top - don't forget the rings of red onion to put on top of the prawn!! It does my heart good to discover chocoholics like myself. Like you SoN I had many chocs bought for Christmas and have to admit that I have eventually worked my way through the lot!! I should be sick but I am not! Living in an orchard environment, I have the pleasure of enjoying all the fresh fruits, berries and many other tropical fruits. My son was a disaster growing up and a trial at the dinner table. He would not try anything that he did not like the look of, sometimes I felt that he should 'wear it' however as he has grown into man hood and has children of his own now, he bends over backwards so that the girls try everything. I have discoverd that The British Shop which has opened in our village - they sell Barratts Dolly Mixtures, yummmmmmm it is like eating memories. I deserve to be ill once I start in on the D/mixtures but find I cannot give them up LOL What is it they say everything in moderation etc etc.....well, I do at the dinner table and then let myself down in the choc boxes ha ha ha. Fudge what an excellent idea the teachers at your school had by blindfolding the little ones to test their taste buds out. It is amazing what you like once you have tried it. Chris you are a lad after my own heart, garlic and onions, life would be dull with out them don't you think?? Good Eating Everyone.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:59 PM »
hi we try to eat healthy , i think if you have a balanced diet and not eat to much, you cant go wrong  even junk food now and again wont do you any harm  :)