Author Topic: HOARDERS  (Read 14427 times)

greeny

• View Profile
HOARDERS
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:55 PM »
have we become a nation of hoarders ,or do you believe if not used in twelve months get rid ? i tend to keep things  might find use for it like old kettles irons, i have a shed with old door cupboard handles even plugs old taps , i have just decluttered my wardrobe which half the stuff i never worn for years , soon as the better weather comes i will start on the shed , and may be the loft ,how do you deal with hoarding , if i went to a car boot sale i probably come back with more then i took  :)

Ashtonian54

Re: HOARDERS
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52 PM »
The word evokes pictures from those extremely popular TV programmes where every episode they visit a different 'hoarder' who try as they might, cannot let go of anything, even when the 'team' comes along to help family and friends on a clean out. Same answer to the question "What about this? " always 'keep it' comes the reply even though it might be complete 'junk'.

As for the rest of us? Well me and the mr,s when we moved 4 years ago, decided we had to be  'brutal' and not keep anything we hadn't used in a year. Yet even I have kept numerous cables and power adapters that connect to who know what.

As a whole though, we have become quite minimalistic in our lifestyle with very few things 'kept. The main reason being because we don't keep stuff that our kids will toss after we pop our clogs!

Ian

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 06:54 PM »
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i412/colthepol/IMG_3035_zps48a1b072.jpg

I haven't made a model plane in 50 years but I still have the plans.I also found my Platinum pen with a sack for the ink,still operational.I upgraded to a Parker 51 with capillary ink fill which must have been the worlds worst rubbish design.I seem to think it may be around somewhere.
Much to my wife's chagrin I have been known to get stuff out of the garbage which I had,after long deliberation dumped.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Just wished my oldies would share Ian's philosophy  ;) my father in law won't chuck anything out, no kidding he's even kept the cardboard boxes for just about everything they've bought in the last 40 odd years and he's got about a dozen clapped out old telly's littering the joint and you simply can't even get your foot in the garden shed or the garage for cr@p ::) I pity my bro's and sis coz when the oldies pop their clogs they're gonna need at least 4 industrial size skips to clear the place out, I'm just coming over for the wake and then hopping back onto a big white bird  :)

Mrs Kiwi and me are pretty ruthless when it comes to having clear outs which comes from moving about 10 times in the first 8 years we were together, the local RSPCA do really well out of us   ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:31 AM »
I do have things that were wedding presents for my mum and dad. But try to keep on top of other things especially paper work and bills only keep them one year then shread them. My mum use to drive me mad she would save all the foil trays of pies and I think we had more than Hollands,also paper bags, we also had enough candles to keep ashton lit. Got rid of bags foils and just kept a few candles in case of a power cut. I think it was drilled in to them in the war to save things. Fudge

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:17 PM »
 :-[ :-[   Oh, dear!  I'm "guilty-guilty-guilty"!!   Although not the TV programme kind of hoarder you mentioned Ian,  I've recently been trying very hard to get rid of stuff that's been hanging around for years in drawers, cupboards, the basement, on shelves and in the garage, anywhere where you can't see it out in the open area of my everyday living space  (which I love to keep tidy and well-organized)  "just in case I might need it some day"!!  It's especially difficult to get rid of cans of left-over paint because of the waste regulations here, and you have to take it to special depots yourself.   I'm also guilty of keeping original boxes!   I have got a pile of stuff though gathered and ready for a rather big Spring garage sale, and hope to get to the waste depot when the weather eases up, but I don't seem to have lessened very much all the things that could also probably be "gone"!   As for paper - I can't believe all the stuff you have to keep so that you can refer to it later.   Tax Returns and banking, etc. we're told we must keep for 7 years.   I've been trying to catch up but now my shredder has gone bust so I have to wait until I can get out and buy a new one, and then of course get rid of the old one.   Waking up in the middle of the night conjures up all kinds of nightmare situations for whoever has to deal with things after I'm gone!   But how do you part with your beautiful presents and mementos of your life?    Some say take pictures and then you'll be able to look at them, but how can you replace picking up a beautiful hand-made ceramic/pottery gift, or a lovely oil painting someone worked hours on just for you?    Even putting away my Christmas tree ornaments took several hours and I have seven boxes of Christmas decorations for the whole inside and outside of the house!  I'm really hoping I can find a solution soon, as at my age.........who knows?    ???

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Oh! Dear! Why did I ever find eBay?  I have more pottery than I could ever hope to use. I can't throw any old cards and pictures my children made at school and my loft is rammed. I've got at least one skipful of empty boxes. My husband used to do window display, so many props of the trade are up there, plus wigs and the odd legs and arms. We later did record promotions so have masses of promotional poster up there from the 80s including a life size Madonna and some Kylie Minogue wallpaper, lots of both our parents stuff because we cleared their houses. Lots of broken stereos, a shopper bike, two scale trip, two garages about two hundred dinky cares, books, an Indian Brass table.

I can't get up there any more so would love someone to help me get it sorted into some sort of order.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:56 PM »
my wife sorts us out now and then she gets the urge and starts do you need this or that then we go through nic knacks and clothes then finish up taking stuff to the sally ann  or call the diabetic they do a pickup from our apartments at certain times many a time I start looking for something I thought I had but we must of donated it we don't have a lot of storage room in the apartment so you tend to get rid of stuff. I sorted out a lot of large tools a few weeks ago and give some larger tools I wont use again in a large tool box to a good friend of ours  who can use them . I only keep small tools that I might use but doing some jobs are too much for me these days ..cheers kennetho

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 01:17 AM »
Hi Gay, you do know that you can actually sell stuff on eBay don't you ?  ;) I reckon you've got a potential gold mine there
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Would be great if I could actually get up there. I do have a plan to get a proper loft ladder and to pay someone to get a skip for the majority's which is rubbish and then to concentrate on what's left. Trouble is I'm always working.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 01:56 PM »
And I have been led to believe(my family) that I'm a 1 off.
Seems to be a National Trait!!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 12:01 AM »
Hi
         My daughter in law has a saying to my grand kids about their broken toys . Quick throw it in the bin before your grand dad fixes it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47 AM »
That made me laugh Herby. My youngest grandson always brought me his broken toys to fix and it was my daugther who pulled her face as they would last ages after. Fudge

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 04:01 PM »
It's great to have a mass clean out. We moved from the family home and moved into a Unit. No room for anything really, well not the stuff that I hoarded. (Always thought I kept everything under raps) Lucky enough to find people who said they would take most of the stuff of my hands. Then it fell on all the diving equipment, wet suits, flippers and all the attachments for diving that had accumulated over a period of time. I have been trying for ages to be able to pass these on to some divers but all seemed to have equiped themselves to the hilt. Then how fortunate that I met a guy who had opened an organisation for homeless boys!!! terrific, he is a diver, he thought he had won the lotto when I asked him around and told him to take all he could see and lay his hands on. He has now fixed quite a number of these young fellows up with equipment along with him teaching them and taking them for their PADI Licences. Your right Jaywit, keep it long enough and you are sure to find good use for it!! I am happy that these young fellows will be off the street. Hope no Great Whites are attracted to them though!!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:52 PM »
hi i agree with what you say when you pop your clogs, it will be a skip job for most of your treasured values  and any thing of value will be sold  :)