Author Topic: Thinking about moving to OZ ?.  (Read 28057 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about moving to OZ ?.
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 01:24 PM »
I think a lot of UK migrants came here with the idea that they were coming to show the Aussie what to do but it didn`t turn out that way.

But isn't Australia a land made up almost exclusively of migrants, Jayess? The only exceptions would be the convicts who were shipped out to serve their time there and the government officials who were sent out to set up the country in the first place. Surely, one set of migrants hardly have any right to turn round and look down on the next lot who arrive a year or two later.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 03:12 PM »
In Canada finding employment was categorized on "Canadian experience"usually from an employer who forebears were immigrants.It is all a matter of seniority.I had a bit of the run around the first couple of months.I tended to have a "slight" attitude prob. when logic is not involved.
I ended up having to explain that in UK people were using sophisticated furniture when Canadians were sat on log ends,which most times seemed to be over their heads.I had mostly forgotten more than the future employers knew.
All in all I didn't do too bad,but I was in my prime when I came here(40)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Surely, one set of migrants hardly have any right to turn round and look down on the next lot who arrive a year or two later.

Exactly. Although this is what has been happening in England for the last couple of thousand years...

Herby - what's a fibro house and a rumpus room?
Martin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 05:54 AM »
Hi Martin
                 Sorry I've been here too long. I think every body know what I'm talking about. A rumpus room is usually a large room where you can do what you like in, a play room. in mine all the grand kids toys are in two big boxes a three piece suite that they that they jump about on and a dart board. I was going to buy a pool table but the kids would probably wreck it. They are too young yet 7 6 4  2.
 A fibro house is a wooden framed house with Fibro cladding.  The old ones were made of asbestos sheeting but they were banned a long while ago because they caused lung cancer.There were quite a few of them in Newport people used them as weekenders. herby

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 12:31 AM »
The answer to Too Shy is that the convicts came to Aus in the early 1800's & so  yes they were human & had children being there was a fair number of children born who are not classed as migrants. These people were very hard working people long before I came to Aus  so although a lot are migrants there are a lot of True Aussies who were born & bred here. --Jayess

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 03:15 AM »
Hi
      Yes I think Jayess is right.When I came here I asked the person in Manchester if i would have to become an Australian. He said no we are more interested in your children and he was right I had two boys born in Australia and now have four grand kids three boys one girl up to now. So it gees. So I think I've done my bit   herby

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 03:56 AM »
Herby - what's a fibro house and a rumpus room?

Had to laugh at that question  ;) I knew exactly what Herby was talking about but we tend to take our colloquialisms for granted, there's a whole range of things that can be misconstrued depending on where you live, fer eggzample last week a mate of mine helped me with my fencing technique  ;) now I'm betting all the town dwellers are thinking epee's and sabres while the country bumpkins are thinking strainers and posts  :)
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Hi Kiwi Yes we still have fencing clubs and in Duky we have the man that trained the Olympic team,also we lost a professor of fencing recently both from this quiet back water.

Hi Herby What did you line your rumpus room not plaster board I hope like the rest of the house.  Albert 

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Obviously no country bumpkins on this forum, Kiwi, we're thinking epees and foils every time!!!!!  ;-)
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 03:49 AM »
Reading through some of the posts I get the impression that you can either arrive in a new country with an open mind and are prepared to accept new things and blend in or alternatively you can get the hump and decide that the grass isn't always greener  :)
Funny thing, there's a nice family from England who moved over here a couple of years ago, they rented a house just up the road from us while they built a luvly new home in another part of town, nice house with a pool and all the trimmings, anyhoo I had a reason to call round there yesterday, it was a balmy 32 in the shade and I sort of expected them to be giving the pool a workout ................. wrong!! .................. they were all inside watching Sky with the air-conditioning on overdrive  :o apparently it was "Too damn hot to be outside and the water was too warm" :)
Different strokes I guess coz Mrs Kiwi won't go in the pool unless the water temperature is above 28  ;)
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Makes you sick doesn't it!!

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Hi Kiwi - was just wondering, because I've never been to Oz .... was it a rather humid day when you visited and everyone was inside?,  as even though I can take quite a lot of nice hot dry weather and love the sun, the minute it gets to be humid,  I just wilt.   When I first came to Canada, it took me several years to acclimatize to hot summer days (have even been known to fall asleep while typing at my workplace desk - no air conditioning in those days  :-[), and could take the freezing cold much better, although now that I'm pretty long in the tooth, even that makes me cringe!   ;D

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Hi Joyce, the humidity was probably less than 10%  :) One of the things that even bronzed Aussies notice when they encounter a sunny NZ day is that the sun here has a real 'bite' to it which scientists put down to the hole in the ozone layer above the country, consequently we also have one of highest skin cancer rates in the world  :-\

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I learn something every day!!!

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 03:42 AM »
Very funny Kiwi really enjoyed that rant.
Moved to Aussie twice but came back as quick as we could, have now been here for 47 years and love it. Stella