Author Topic: Thinking about moving to OZ ?.  (Read 27458 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
Re: Thinking about moving to OZ ?.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 01:08 PM »
My uncle was a skilled man, he worked at Gorton tank, they hoped for a better life and found the reverse even now my aunt curses if you mention Oz. They certainly weren't expecting a holiday.  :)

Martin, I've tried Facebook with no luck

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2013, 01:20 AM »
Dannyx6 I've sent you a PM, thank you

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2013, 03:25 AM »
Hi
           Not for one minute have I regretted coming to Oz I came in 65 and have loved every minute of it. Its different from Ashton what do people expect when they move to a different country.   It's not like moving to Dukinfield.   herby

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 12:19 PM »
Hi
           Not for one minute have I regretted coming to Oz I came in 65 and have loved every minute of it. Its different from Ashton what do people expect when they move to a different country.   It's not like moving to Dukinfield.   herby

Hey up, Herby. I hope yer not nockin' Duki or you'll have bother on yer 'ands.

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2013, 01:16 PM »
I don't know if Oz has lightened up these days, but my friends daughter married an Ozzie in the late 1970's, she met him in Malta on holiday, bit of a holiday romance, she wanted to move to Oz, he told her she wouldn't like it and wanted to live in the UK, anyway they moved to Oz, that's when the problems started, you see her husband was Maltese and she couldn't believe the racism she was met with. She stuck it out for a few years, their 2 children were born there, but she became afraid of what they would have to put up with so they came back to the UK and are still here. My friend was working in the middle east at the time and would visit her daughter, she said it would have been ok if it wasn't for "all the bloody flies and spiders" lol.
I have another friend who lives in Oz and is quite happy.
So is Oz still as rascist or has it lightened up?

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2013, 05:27 PM »
What a set of 'dorks'....... I don't know where your family or friends hung out in Oz, but it most certainly sounds like they must have found a spot all of their own. Flies and Spiders are really nearly quite a myth. Yes, we do have flies in Oz, just the same as England has Blue Bottles, we are not over laiden with them and usually they only descend if you are eating 'salmon butties' or the likes at a bush picnic!. As for Spiders, I don't think I have seen more than a couple of Hunters, this year. Some people have vivid imaginations. I am surprised they were not "carried off by a crocodile walking down the street". Plenty of Harry Long Legs this year and probably a few garden spiders - ( probably more of an invasion of Spanish Millipedes that don't do you any harm ) Plenty of Mozzies though! I was brought up on a farm in England, probably say more spiders there than I have in all my years here. As for racism, well, I am sure that you have your problems in England and probably more so than here. 50' s years ago, we might have been called POMs in an illiterate way, Ities, and the likes. That went out with the ark about 40 years back. The Aussies are so laid back that if they bent any further they would fall down flat. Your friends may have had a different outlook to most people and particularly English who come here to live. The English I have met here and I have lived in three different states would most certainly not go back to England to live. Of course they visit their families and friends. A lot of these people have their families visit here heaps of times in a year. Most are waiting to get their papers cleared to get out here. Of course there are always the few who for some reason think they should be entitled to something they only imagined was here before they came. You think about the ones who came here with greater expectation than they were worth - they returned to England but could not possible explain why because there is NO comparison between Australia and England. Just because it was not their cup of tea does not mean that there was something wrong with Australia. To many people came and stayed and others are waiting to get in. To
 the whingers I would have been one of the first people to tell them to get on the first plane back to whence they came and stop giving their own country men a bad name. Most people who have come here have made good, made friends, worked hard and achieved, that is unless they were lazy and wanted things for nothing. We have lazy Aussies too, so it is no different from England. -  There are more people stay in this country than return/. As for having to wait three years to get back to England as you say your family did. They could have returned anytime they liked. The would have just had to pay the full fare the government had paid for them to come out in the first place then the fare back home. All immigrants were told before they left England that if they returned before their two years were up they would have to reimburse the government. After that it would have been a one way ticket back to where they should have probably stayed in the first place. So much has been written and recorded about people who have caused rows and stuff because they thought the streets were paved with gold and that everything should have been given them is beyond belief. In the 50's people were getting a months holiday with pay plus 10 sickies a year. If they put themselves about a bit, they would have made friends and probably settled. It is only when you get people who consistently complain or go on about 'missing mi mam or auntie Ethel or mi sister/brother. Most of those people had never left their towns or villages before they embarked on a 12,000 mile trip into the unknown. Most had a six week cruise before landing. They also had jobs to come to. I have been here for over 50 years and have hardly ever had anything to complain about. Most Aussies are good sorts just like the English, yes there have been one or two racial happenings. Only now, we have the same problem as England with some races.  I suppose the whole world has. It's no good quoting hear say, its best to comment and complain it you have had experience yourself, not just repeat what others and their opinions have had to say, they are usually in the minority anyway. Lots of English lads and Ashton lads married  Aussie girls and v-v, some moved on to New Zealand to try that area out if they did not like any of the states in Oz, but, at least they tried all these places before returning and probably used their complaining to cover their mistake. As for Slave Labour! well, the only places I have found that was from ladies who worked from home and used sewing machines. Most of those ladies did not speak English, so had no one to stand up for them. We marched through Sydney for them some 30 years back so that their plight would be brought to the notice of the Minister.Nothing like that left now, all manufacturing has been taken off shore. So the poor third rate countries pick up all that sort of work and glad of it. I hate to think of people working for nothing, but we cant all put everything right now can we? I might also mention the immigrants who had babies here. They went back to England for a year or two and then applied again for immigration, believe it or not, they got back into Australia on another cheap scheme, the whole family able to return because the had an "Aussie" child for the grand sum of eighty pounds, another six week cruise. All sorts of lurks and purks were plundered, yet they still kept coming back and eventually remained here. Now, have a nice Christmas and look after England which obviously matters very much to you.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Hi
       Well said Maureen. Ditto to all of it. There are racists in every country in the world mostly a minority. I've been called a pommy bastard hundreds of times, it's not what is said it is how it is said that counts. If Duki was like oz they would have to put a wall across Alma bridge to keep people out    herby

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Why is it that whenever I put forward my honest opinion I get shouted down. I was talking from personal experience of family and friends, they were neither whingers nor work shy and I resent the insinuation that they were. I don't need a lecture. Well I'm fed up of it now. If you want to see me, find me on Facebook. Dannyx6 thanks for you offer of help, but I'll do it myself now. I don't need this grief. Seems to me Ozzies are far too defensive when you mention racism and anything that makes the country less than perfect.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Hi Vanessa you are not alone thinking that Aussie is racist, the man that was swimming in the Thames tried to upset the boat race
was an Aussie and was going to be sent back, but he said because he was married to an Indian woman he would not enjoy his humane rights in Aussie and he won his appeal.
As for flies we were driving to Adelaile from Melbourne and got halted at a fruit fly inspection point and the police and inspectors all had nets on there hats down to the shoulders,and my friend always as a fly spray in her car to sort the mossies out.

Hi Dannyx6 I am pleased its gone well with you

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 11:30 AM »

[/quote

Hi Too Shy
                       Never in a million years. The love of my life lived when I was 21 lived in Duki    herby

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2013, 12:26 PM »

[/quote

Hi Too Shy
                       Never in a million years. The love of my life lived when I was 21 lived in Duki    herby

Thanks for your reply, Herby. I was raised in Duki and have nothing but happy memories of the town and its people. Some years after I left, my work colleagues would tease me about driving through and seeing the Christmas lights outside the town hall - all twelve of them! I retorted with, "It's the only town you drive through because you're going somewhere else." Happy days either on Blocksages, down on the cut or up Matley Lane. We hadn't got much but we were the most contented kids you could meet.

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 12:22 PM »
Hi All. "There will always be an England.
(as long as Scotland's free)
there will always be a Scotland,
(as long as they have me)"

Racism, What dat den????

From the unracist salt mines of Africa, where if it gets below 44C's, it MUST be winter.

Just a thought, (and a happy, safe, NEW YEAR to one and all)

Daftjack.  8) 8) 8)

Ashtonian54

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30 PM »
I think it's somewhat disingenuous to dismiss the racism claim by saying "every country has racists"  The racism claim has been made before and often. I get the feeling that the general consensus is that the country is to some extent racist.

Australia is a massive continent so there are bound to be differences where people choose to live. From the west to the tropical north east. We've all watched those "down under" programmes where families "try out" living there for a while. Most decide to go and live there. Even after realising that they are not going to swap their Dukinfirld terrace for a three bedroom detached house 100 yards from the beach! 

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 12:53 AM »
Hi   
      HI don't think I was disingenuous ( I had to look that one up) of course every country has racists. On the other part  I landed in Sydney in 65 with forty quid in my pocket. I started work the day after I landed and not looked back since. I lived in Newport  New south Wales,one of the nicest places in Sydney, after fifteen years I put a deposit on an old fibro house not a hundred metres from Pittwater and ten minutes walk from the south pacific ocean and two minutes from the pub I had to retire early and sold my old fibro house and moved to Caboolture  in Queensland in  bought my three bed room house and added another bedroom and en suite and a rumpus room Queens land, which is fourteen miles from the ocean about half an hour from home depending on the traffic  and one step to the golf course where I was a member. I reckon if you cant make it in oz you won't make it any where. It's always up to the individual what you do with your life. I now have two sons and four of the most lovely grand kids in the world. What else could you want   herby     

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48 AM »
I think a lot of UK migrants came here with the idea that they were coming to show the Aussie what to do but it didn`t turn out that way. The Aussie would take the Mickie out of the Poms & if you gave it to them back they would turn out to be quite friendly & you were OK.  You had to be able to take a ribbing & give just has much back at them & you were made. If you were on the road & the vehicle broke down there would always be someone who would stop to help you. It didn`t matter who you was they would always be someone who would want to help you. Times have changed these things. I am afraid that over the years a lot of people from other countries have come here & thought that everything was free & then when they had to work for their money they didn`t like it & so Aus was a terrible place.  - Jayess