Author Topic: Guy Fawkes Night  (Read 11868 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
Guy Fawkes Night
« on: November 05, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Hi everyone....Just wondering if they still have Bonfire Night on Nov. 5th nowadays in the UK?  No-one has mentioned it and that's why I ask.    I don't even think it's known about over here.   I remember all the preparations, etc. beforehand when I was young, and the lovely warmth of the bonfire as we all stood around once it got dark and then, of course, the fireworks and rip-raps!  We were only allowed sparklers, but there was always something good to eat as well.  Perhaps long gone days now or perhaps too dangerous from the sparks with the new housing, etc.   ??? :D

KENNETHO

• View Profile
Re: Guy Fawkes Night
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:15 PM »
oh bunty plot a penny for the guy parkin treacle toffy dandelion and burdock..happy bunty plot to all cheers kennetho

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Great memories of Gun Powder Plot, Joyce. Making the Guy and then all the kids went around and sang at the doors "Gun Powder Plot, Will never be forgot whilst old England stands upon a rock!!!" We were often given pennies and threepenny bits. I think we bought extra fireworks with the monies collected. The collecting of old furniture and guarding it just in case the kids from the next row decided to sabotage it when every one was having their tea. Mums making Treacle Taffy and Parkin. Hot potatoes that had been put into the embers of the fire along with Black Peas. Fireworks, Rip-Raps, Sky Rockets, Catherine Wheels, Bangers and Golden Fountains along with Sparklers. I never hear of anyone having this event any more. I know it was cancelled here in Oz about 31 years back. To many people getting burnt etc through not being responsible with the fireworks. Of course it is also our Bush Fire Season here in the West. These days to have a Fireworks Display it needs to be done by an organisation and all sorts of safety precautions put into place before hand. Our biggest Fireworks Displays are organised along the Swan River on News Years Eve and again on Australia Day. No excitement about helping to stack the wood and watching Guy Fawkes burn. I think another one of those things that has gone into the archives. Maybe to many accidents these days. Ah well. Glad you remember it well also KennO Good memories.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43 PM »
also you would get some guys from another group would pop over to see how we were doing and as they were leaving toss a couple offireworks in your fire..silly sods

sooty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 06:23 PM »
Used to love bonfire night fireworks homemade treacle toffee ,Parkin then when the fire had died down throw a potato in the embers ,not any more you won't has to be a organised event which I suppose a lot safer
Hard work never killed anyone-but it made some funny shapes.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 09:04 PM »
We still celebrate a 400 year old terrorist and "the last man to enter Parliament with honest intentions" here in NZ. Link

Sales of fireworks are only allowed for the 4 days before the 5th and we usually grab a big box of them and put them away for Xmas or New Year instead  :)
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Yes Bonfire night is being celebrated in England there are lots of loud bangs going of all around and if you look out lots of lovely coloured balls and stars shooting high in the sky been going of since last week I don't know how they can afford them now some can cost you £50 for one. No one comes round now with the Guy as know one wants there children out on the Streets anymore. We use to go round on pay day and stand out side the pubs collecting for our Guy. And stay out till about 9pm which to us was very late stopping other gangs from stealing our wood that we had been logging for. Fudge

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44 AM »
KennyO -- Over in the field on Queens Rd in front was all the big bunnties  & lots of fireworks & then a very foggy morning the day after until all the smoke had cleared. Used to find a few untried fireworks the following morning before going to Stamford school.-- Jayess

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:38 AM »
It certainly seems to be true about today's children no longer collecting for the 'guy' - I can't remember when anyone last came round nor have I seen anyone collecting for the 'guy' in the street. Yet another of the pleasures our generation enjoyed that is denied to today's children.

When I was in Oxford last August I visited The Ashmolean Museum and in there I saw the actual metal lantern that Guy Fawkes was carrying when he was arrested. It's a bit battered now but if it could talk what a tale it could tell.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Well....I'm certainly happy to know that my asking brought about such great memories for many of you and to know that Ashton is still carrying on traditions, Fudge!   ;D    Your description of all the "goodies" we had made my mouth water, Danny!  Treacle Toffee in particular.   :)   I think perhaps the way a lot of our back yards were placed around a central stone-flagged area where we made the bonfire helped a lot in making street groups vie against each other.   We had a terrific space behind the shops on Ashton Old Road, Hr. Openshaw, and there was nothing like a roasted potato to end the night.   
I realize there would be danger re setting off fireworks and perhaps injuries nowadays, not to mention the cost, but I also think today's kids will never know the wonderful excitement of such things as Guy Fawkes night, May Day, Maypole dancing, etc., and all the other games we made up to play each day with bits of this and that, especially skipping ropes, and group games.  They miss great times that even without so much as a penny, we were never without something to do and had no fear (as far as I know) since we spent hours until it was dark just playing around the street lamps, swinging around from the arms at the top.  There's a beautifully equipped playground just across the road and down the walk from my house, and yet you never see anyone playing there unless it's a toddler with an adult to watch over them.   So sad that times have come to such a pass.   :'(     But wonderful to be able to remember what we all had no matter how poor we were.
 ;D ;D ;D   And I still think we had the best of childhoods without all of today's "supervised" activities with parents having to drive hither and yon to take or pick up their kids.   
Oh, dear - I think I'm sounding like an old lady again!   ;)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:59 PM »
jayess we used the spare ground facing the paper shop next to coffies the bookies and at the entrance to the lane that went upto Stamford school was it called carrs lane??cheers kennetho

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Well....I'm certainly happy to know that my asking brought about such great memories for many of you and to know that Ashton is still carrying on traditions, Fudge!   

I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick with this one, Joyce. I think it's fairly safe to say that the tradition of Bonfire Night (and everything associated with it) has now largely disappeared - certainly in the way that we would have remembered it from our childhoods in the immediate post war period. Yes, there are still bonfires but they aren't up every back alley in the way that we might have remembered them. There are some large bonfires that are regularly produced by those public houses/crickert clubs/scout groups etc. who happen to have sufficient land available at the side of their properties but, a sign of the times now is that, even local authorities seem to have abandoned them as a way of cutting unnecessary expenditure. There seem to be less and less fireworks about although the anti social types who seem to like letting them off here, there and everywhere still seem to want to make a show of it. I'd put money on it that, ten years from now, Bonfire Night will have been assigned to the back of most people's memories. Shame really as it  was (mostly) a fun time and not just for the children.

PS I rather think that if I asked my (junior school) grandson what a guy was he wouldn't have any idea. Ain't that sad?

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 11:06 PM »
    "We come a Cob-coaling for Bonfire time,
    Your coal and your money we hope to enjoy."
    "If you give us nowt, we'll steal nowt and bid you good night."
Martin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Hi
 We used to have our bunty on the field between Park Parade and the bottom road (Lower Wharf st) Great nights for all the kids and a few adults, and memories. Burnt spuds  Parking and the fireworks from Lumb's and Gibson's in the Avenue. Happy Days .Lest we forget it's Armistice day on the 11 of the 11.                   herby

mercian

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 03:25 AM »
    "We come a Cob-coaling for Bonfire time,
    Your coal and your money we hope to enjoy."
    "If you give us nowt, we'll steal nowt and bid you good night."

I recall this little chant. "Christmas is coming , the pigs are getting fat, please put a penny in the old mans hat,
if you haven't got a penny a hap'ney will do if you haven't got a hap'ney then god bless you."