Author Topic: Ashton Market Ground  (Read 7077 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Ashton Market Ground
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:01 AM »
I got a leaflet last week about the changes to Ashton Market If it goes a head there will be alot less stalls a lawn area a Childrens play area the civic square updated. Also more Pop up stalls it won't look like a traditional market any more. The building that is the council offices is coming down and the new one with part or the 6th form Collage is being built on Camp Street car park. If you want to access the new council offices go on the Tameside site there front cover say Vision of tameside click on it and it tells you all about it Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Market Ground
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Thank you, Fudge.  Depressing news for every old Ashtonian, I'm sure.  Generations have flocked to that market place.  I've viewed the proposed plans on Facebook and it appears that the Wellington Rd block housing  Cordingley's etc. will be included in the changes.   I left Ashton over 13 years ago and haven't visited since, but now definitely have no desire to see it's needless 'improvements'.   Stamford Street would benefit greatly from some of this money the Council is frittering away!!
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 06:58 PM »
The new college building will be part of Tameside College, Fudge, not the Sixth Form College.

There is a lot of misinformation being spread on Facebook about these plans. The new college building will NOT affect the block with the old Fire Station / Cordingleys on it or the block with the Ladysmith pub on it.

Images of the proposals can be seen at http://www.visiontameside.com/
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I still think all the charactor will be taken away I don't like faulty towers and as the new lay out of the Market ground with play area and lawn section how long will they stay like that Fudge

gina44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:53 AM »
I think we all are the same.We know that changes have to be made and can't stay the same. But we want the old Ashton Character to stay as it is part of our past and our memories. It is sad but we all know that it will eventually happen. There are lots of changes that have been made,but I am sure that lots of places will stay the same and remain untouched.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Hi
       I left Ashton in 65. The now Ashton looks a bloody site better than when I left. Its a lot cleaner for one thing and all of the buildings that were black in colour have magically disappeared and are all naturally colured now. Trees where there never was any.Its a big thanks to the people who were response able for this major miracle.   herby   

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 04:50 PM »
But they are only removing the carbuncle that was built in the 70s, both the magnificent stone buildings are going nowhere !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I personally like what's happening to Ashton. I can remember what a horrible dirty place it was in the 50s. Nothing can stay the same forever and I am waiting for some of the eyesores to be removed.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Here are the links to the information on the 2 projects

www.visiontameside.com

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/tbc/neighbourhoods/marketsquare

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 12:58 PM »
hi went to the market the other day it looks like half a market , not many stalls on and the market ground is split up with half of it dug up and fenced off , not much as happen in the last few weeks what are they doing ?

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 02:09 PM »
The new look supposing they have to make a mess of everything Fudge