Author Topic: How we shopped  (Read 3209 times)

Ashtonian54

How we shopped
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:49 PM »
That was a great show the other day on the BBC.
History of shopping from the 50's to the the big shopping malls of today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b039q4ct/Robert_Peston_Goes_Shopping_Seduction/

greeny

• View Profile
Re: How we shopped
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 03:02 PM »
hi i was down manchester the other day i noticed there are quite a few smaller super market like ashton tesco on mossley road and asda at hurst cross could that be that the giant supermarkets might in some time take over where the corner shop s have failed  and more opening in residential ares  :)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:31 PM »
There is a Tesco at Limehurst, as well, and a number of Raja's shops opening around the area, such as in the former Buckton Castle pub. The Grotton Hotel is now a Co-op. It seems to be the way supermarkets are going these days.
Martin

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 02:23 PM »
hi the great supermarket war as started tesco ,morrisons , asda and sainsburry , i wonder why is because of aldi  lidl more and more people are going ,they have even made the car park bigger at aldi ashton  :)

Ashtonian54

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 02:12 AM »
They have indeed. Saw it On Chris' errands video!

Artmak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:47 PM »
I used to work at George Masons grocers on Stockport Road, Ashton, after school and on Saturdays.  My jobs were delivering groceries on the old sit up and beg bike and cleaning the brass surround round the shop window and the brass scales with all the brass weights.  I used to earn 10 Bob (50p) a week, happy days.
Artmak