Author Topic: The Shaw Family Of Ashton-under-Lyne  (Read 26695 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: The Shaw Family Of Ashton-under-Lyne
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Of hand I would say about 3 years ago but it could be longer as time passes so quick Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I've never been what you might call a "big drinker" and have usually been satisfied with just the odd pint or two, so, it was some years before I ventured down to that end of Stamford Street for a "swift half." By now (probably the mid or late eighties), that part of Ashton was in terminal decline and it would only be a matter of a few years before most, if not all, of the properties were bulldozed completely. I recall nipping in to the Red Lion (or had it become the grotesquely named Toad and Tulip by then?) for a "looksee". The place was as dead as a doornail and clearly destined for closure. On the opposite corner, the King William IV was doing no better and, no doubt I hurried my half in there to enable me to clear off, never to return. The only good thing to be found in that part of Stamford Street was a rather large second hand shop crammed to the rafters with every conceivable piece of tat you could think of. I was always impressed by the huge selection of second hand electric guitars they had hanging from the walls and ceiling. Sadly, I never plucked up enough courage to take the plunge and ask to try a couple. Tat at its finest!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Any one remember what the name of the brewery was on Park road Dukinfield part is now a small cafe

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 09:42 PM »
I think the block that included the Red Lion was knocked down some time between 2000 and 2004.

As for Magee's book, I suppose he had to have a rule about listing a pub under its most recent name at the time of publication, as pubs are always changing their names.

That pub had been called the Lowes Arms, the Paganini Inn, the Bush, the Red Lion and finally the Toad and Tulip. It would have been helpful, though, to have an entry reading: "RED LION - see TOAD AND TULIP."
Martin

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Any one remember what the name of the brewery was on Park road Dukinfield part is now a small cafe

Albert, According to Mike Pavasovic in,"No Mean City: A History of Dukinfield," published in 1984, Henry Shaw's Brewery, taken over by John Smiths in 1941, stood on Park Road. Shaw's owned a number of local pubs, including the Astley Arms on Astley Street and was well known for its bottled Gradely Ales which were on sale from the 1920s. Could this be the one you have in mind?

PS The back (outer) cover of the book is a copy of a whole-page advert for "Shaw's Gradely Ale: Strongest of the Strong" from 1933. If you want to place an order you have to phone ASH 1564. Expect a long wait as they are quite busy!

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 10:05 PM »
..... that part of Ashton was in terminal decline and it would only be a matter of a few years before most, if not all, of the properties were bulldozed completely.

William Shaw was certainly a product of right place and right time. In the second half of the 19th century towns such as A-u-L were growing rapidly as more and more labour was required in the mills etc. thus creating increasing demand for ales. So, in under a decade, William went from brewer's traveller to major brewer and, some twenty years later, had amassed significant wealth.

SHAW William (Probate Record, 30 September 1889)

The Will with two Codicils of William Shaw, late of Bank Top, Ashton-under-Lyne, and of 176 Lord-street Southport, both in the County of Lancaster, Brewer, who died 16 July 1889 at Bank Top was proved at Manchester by Joseph Shaw of 124 Eccles-New-road, Salford, in the said County, Brewer, George Shaw of Bedford, Leigh, in the said County, Brewer's Manager, and Henry Shaw of Bank Top, Brewer the Sons the Executors. Personal Estate 114,334 18s. 4d.

Using the Retail Price Index as a guide, that amount translates to 10,700,000.00 in contemporary value.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:31 PM »
  Hi To shy I was thinking that was the name on the brewery did it have the name on after the take over
  I have the book by Mike Pavasovic so I will not need the phone number which might be out of date e/g ASH
   Thanks Albert

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 10:30 PM »
In my copy of A Directory Of Ashton Pubs And Their Licensees (Rob Magee, 1989), a small section of print has been omitted on page 45. In the Oxford Inn section, there are a number of licensees missing. The gap occurs after John T Hibberd 1961-1965 and until John Ormerod 1982-1987. Looks like five entries haven't been printed. Assuming this is a one-off production error I'd welcome details of the missing section.  :)

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 02:05 PM »
In my copy of A Directory Of Ashton Pubs And Their Licensees (Rob Magee, 1989), a small section of print has been omitted on page 45. In the Oxford Inn section, there are a number of licensees missing. The gap occurs after John T Hibberd 1961-1965 and until John Ormerod 1982-1987. Looks like five entries haven't been printed. Assuming this is a one-off production error I'd welcome details of the missing section.  :)

The missing licensees are

James F Townson 1965-1966
Roy Artingstall 1966-1968
Doris J Fowles 1968-1978
Peter Grady 1978-1982

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Thanks for that, Too shy.  :)

domshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Following this with interest. My Grandfather Kenneth Shaw was born in Brewery Lane, Leigh around the turn of the century and was teh direct descendant of William, James and George.

Beer Label Collector

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 05:04 PM »
I have a couple of beer bottle labels from both George Shaw of Leigh and Shaw's Dukinfield Brewery if you are interested in scans.

Ericavivienne

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2016, 03:03 PM »
My Great Aunt Doris was married to Shaw the brewer and they lived in Ashton. Their daughter was my cousin Pam. I do know quite a lot about the Shaw family.