Author Topic: The Shaw Family Of Ashton-under-Lyne  (Read 26744 times)

George Shaw

• View Profile
The Shaw Family Of Ashton-under-Lyne
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:44 PM »
First off, I'm new here and am looking forward to posting.

I live in Leigh, Lancashire, and am currently researching into the Shaws of Ashton-under-Lyne a family which made a significant contribution to the wealth of my home town.

For those who don't already know, brewer William Shaw (1822-1889) was invited to manage Leigh's Bedford Brewing & Malting Co. (BBMC) in 1883. Essentially, William was already a successful brewer in his home district and BBMC was in financial trouble. Thankfully, William accepted the invitation and later took his son, James (1848-1880), with him to Leigh to assist him and later still, also took his younger son, George (1860-1918). Although William died in 1889, BBMC's fortunes had been turned around and George took over from where William had left off, James having died in Leigh in 1880 at the young age of 32 years. George wanted expansion and set about buying out a number of local breweries until, essentially, the Shaw Brewery monopolised brewing in Leigh.

George continued the excellent work started by his father and, in 1902, changed the name of the brewery to Geo. Shaw & Co., Ltd. From 1902 to 1910 (approx.), the renamed brewery was almost completely rebuilt and employed a substantial workforce. George became involved in politics and became the second Mayor of the recently chartered Leigh Corporation for the period 1900/01.

By now a very wealthy man, he resided at one of Leigh's finest house, Pennington Hall. When he died in 1918, Pennington Hall and its substantial grounds was bequeathed to the people of Leigh for use as a public park. Sadly, it fell into disrepair due to lack of council maintenance and the Hall was demolished in 1963.

On George's death in 1918, his sons, William (1889-1937) and Frank (1891-1949) took over the running of the brewery but they clearly didn't possess the business acumen of their father. An attempted takeover of Sharman's Brewery (Bolton) some time around 1927 placed Shaw's Brewery into financial difficulty and this ultimately resulted in the sale of Geo. Shaw & Co., Ltd., to the Walker Cain brewing conglomerate in 1931.

The building continued to be used by Walker Cain, mainly as a distribution centre, until around 1966 (by then owned by Tetley Walker) and was demolished in 1998 to form a site for new houses.

If you're still awake  ;D  ,  although I have considerably more information on this subject, I also have some notable 'holes'. In this respect, I was hoping that some of the good folk on here might be able to assist me.

Some of the Shaw clan remain quite mysterious in that little seems to be recorded of them on Ancestry.com. This isn't helped by the habit that some of the Shaws had of changing their names! Eric Shaw of Dukinfield is referred to in four Leigh newspapers as attending family events in Leigh. These were in 1904, 1912, 1918 and 1920. He was described as the nephew of George Shaw. He was also listed as a lieutenant away on active service in 1918. I cannot with any certainty trace his birth or death details. A second family member, Joseph (Lockwood) Shaw (1850-), brother to George, disappears from the record after his final census return in 1891. I believe that he married Harriet Ann Jones in Ashton-under-Lyne during 1888, but I cannot trace his death. One more for the minute...William (another of George's brothers and son of the William who first came to Leigh in 1883) was born c. 1853 in Ashton-under-Lyne and married Rachel Walker in West Derby, Merseyside, in 1882. Again, I cannot trace a death date. It is known that some Shaws did emigrate (e.g. Henry (Harry) Lockwood Shaw moved to South Africa in the 1920's).

I would welcome any information you have on these three chaps and anything remotely related to the Shaws.

George Shaw

• View Profile
Re: The Shaw Family Of Ashton-under-Lyne
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:49 PM »
Would also like to trace the location of Bank Top House, Ashton-under-Lyne, the home of Ashton & Leigh brewer, William Shaw (1822-1889), for the latter part of his life. Is it off Currier Lane near to where 'Bank Top' is now?

Ashtonian54

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Bank Top House was at the end of Currier Lane at Scotland Street.
Large House, large gardens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47692448@N05/9657688994/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47692448@N05/9346644391/

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Thanks for that, Ashtonian54.

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Hi
On Familysearch, there was a christening for an Edward Lockwood Shaw in 1850 St Michaels Ashton under Lyne parents are given as William Shaw and Jane.

Heather

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Hi
On Familysearch, there was a christening for an Edward Lockwood Shaw in 1850 St Michaels Ashton under Lyne parents are given as William Shaw and Jane.

Heather

Thanks, Heather. I will try to find whether this new information slots in to what else I already have.

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Hi
There are at least 2 families
From www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

Edward Lockwood SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD registered 1850 Dukinfield
Martha Ann SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1851 Dukinfield
Harrold SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1855 Dukinfield
Jane Lockwood SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1860 Dukinfield
Ellen Ann SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1878 Dukinfield
William SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1878 Dukinfield   

James SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD registered 1848 Ashton Town
Joseph Lockwood SHAW  mmn LOCKWOOD registered 1850 Ashton Town
William SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1852 Ashton Town
Hannah SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1853 Ashton Town
Mary SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1855 Ashton Town
Martha SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1857 Ashton Town
George SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1860 Ashton Town
Henry SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1862 Ashton Town

Heather   

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Jane Lockwood Shaw was buried in 1860 a St Paul Stalybridge

Martha Ann Shaw born on 18th November 1851 was christened at St Michael Ashton on 25th January 1852 Parents are given as William Shaw and Jane

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Marriage: 11 Jun 1882 St Jude the Apostle, West Derby, Lancashire, England
William Shaw - 32, Brewer, Bachelor, 29 Walker Street
Rachel Walker - 26, Spinster, 12 Newton Street
Groom's Father: William Shaw, Brewer
Bride's Father: Robert Walker, Commercial Traveller
Witness: Wm. Hy. Hiller; Emily Griffiths

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Mystery solved.

The family born in Dukinfield were the children of William Shaw a nail maker born Stalybridge and Jane Shaw from Denby Dale.
Jane died between 1851 and 1861.

Heather

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Thanks for doing some digging, heather, I'll look through your findings in more detail later today. There were lots of William Shaws in the Tameside area at the end of the 19th. C..

The William Shaw marriage you noted (Marriage: 11 Jun 1882 St Jude the Apostle, West Derby, Lancashire, England - William Shaw - 32, Brewer, Bachelor, 29 Walker Street/Rachel Walker - 26, Spinster, 12 Newton Street) refers to the William Shaw who seems to disappear from the record after the 1891 Census.

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Hi

From www.cheshirebmd.org.uk

James SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD registered 1848 Ashton Town
Joseph Lockwood SHAW  mmn LOCKWOOD registered 1850 Ashton Town
William SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1852 Ashton Town
Hannah SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1853 Ashton Town
Mary SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1855 Ashton Town
Martha SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1857 Ashton Town
George SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1860 Ashton Town
Henry SHAW mmn LOCKWOOD 1862 Ashton Town

Heather   

This is certainly the family I'm researching.

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 06:50 PM »
In my search to learn more about the Shaw brewing family of Ashton-u-Lyne, I traced William Shaw (1822-1889) in the 1851 Census as living at The Red Lyon, Stamford Street, A-u-L, employed as a beerseller and brewer's traveller. In A History Of The Breweries Of Stalybridge, Dukinfield & Hyde (B. Sullivan, 1996) it expands on this thus, "....in 1850 he [William Shaw] became the licensee of the Red Lion public house on Stamford-st. in Ashton-under-Lyne. It was here at the Red Lion that he commenced brewing on a small scale in premises that were situated at the rear of the public house..."

Trying to find out more about the Red Lyon/Lion, I referred to A Directory Of Ashton Pubs And Their Licensees (Rob Magee, 1989). Sadly, he makes no reference to the Red Lyon/Lion in the alphabetical listing.

I'm guessing that this pub is still around, listed as:-

Red Lion, The
282 Stamford Street West
Ashton Under Lyne
OL6 7NW
Lancashire.

Has this pub ever been known by another name?

Ashtonian54

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 04:55 AM »
In my search to learn more about the Shaw brewing family of Ashton-u-Lyne, I traced William Shaw (1822-1889) in the 1851 Census as living at The Red Lyon, Stamford Street, A-u-L, employed as a beerseller and brewer's traveller. In A History Of The Breweries Of Stalybridge, Dukinfield & Hyde (B. Sullivan, 1996) it expands on this thus, "....in 1850 he [William Shaw] became the licensee of the Red Lion public house on Stamford-st. in Ashton-under-Lyne. It was here at the Red Lion that he commenced brewing on a small scale in premises that were situated at the rear of the public house..."

Trying to find out more about the Red Lyon/Lion, I referred to A Directory Of Ashton Pubs And Their Licensees (Rob Magee, 1989). Sadly, he makes no reference to the Red Lyon/Lion in the alphabetical listing.

I'm guessing that this pub is still around, listed as:-

Red Lion, The
282 Stamford Street West
Ashton Under Lyne
OL6 7NW
Lancashire.

Has this pub ever been known by another name?

What a strange omission. It should be between the Red Bull and Ring'O'Bells  It's on the inside back cover number 93 .

One of the anomalies in Magee's Directory is the use of later "trendy" names to long established pubs. "Witchwood" is a prime example.
This happened to the Red Lion where in 1986 it was renamed the Toad & Tulip, closing 3 years later. ( Rob Magee, Pg 61)
-

George Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Thank you, Ashtonian54, for pointing out the name change and for the photographs. I too am surprised at Magee's preference for the latest names.

You mentioned that the pub closed in 1989. Based on Google Earth's Street View, the building is no more. Have you any idea when it was demolished??