Author Topic: TWO PRICES  (Read 2813 times)

greeny

• View Profile
TWO PRICES
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:48 PM »
HI just wondering when you go to the seaside for the day, or on holiday world wide do  the tourist after pay more for the goods they purchase , and do the locals get it cheaper my daughter just come back from kiwi land she said the cost of living there is exspensive and some of the goods that are produced there are cheaper to buy in the uk , no wonder locals there are into moonshine , when you go out for the day here in the uk i am sure the locals dont pay the same price as the tourist , as any one else thought the same ??   :)

daftjack

• POWER TO THE PEOPLE....KEEP THE NET FREE.
    • View Profile
Re: TWO PRICES
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Hi Greeny, If you go to the game parks in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe etc; you have two prices, Local and tourist. (you have to produce your ID, for local prices)

Just a thought......

Daftjack.

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08 AM »
Cuba actually as two currencies,one for tourists and one for the locals. So while we pig out on the all inclusive,at the luxury hotels,the locals use the local Bodega or ration shop to pick up the weekly rations. The Cubans who work in the luxury hotels are the lucky ones especially the Chambermaids,when you leave them such items as Soap,Deodorant,Toothpaste,Clothes,Chocolate,and Colouring books and crayons for the kids.Plus any loose tourist currency change you might have.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Years ago I went a couple of times to Bulgaria the tourist could buy lots with your English Currency the Bulgarians need our money if they wanted to get any thing from them they would always be asking you to buy your clothes or watch or other items you had they also asking if you would change money it was a big thing over there. We got free umbrellas on the beach for a jar of coffee.
 for two weeks What you left for the cleaners they were over the moon with. Fudge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 03:05 AM »
HI
        No difference here in aus every thing is dear for every body  herby

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 04:37 AM »
Everything is all one price no matter who you are over here - at least, as far as I know.  I don't know about hotels, etc. as I've hardly ever stayed in them here myself, but you surely won't get everday shopping with a price for locals and another for tourists.   The price tag you see is the price you pay, and that's it!!
We often grumble though about the higher price in Canada for the same type of article if sold in the States.   They even stamp the different prices on the covers of books - much cheaper in the States than Canada!!  The same applies to U.S. made autos, houses and furniture, etc.   Same item cheaper to buy in the States.  >:(   Perhaps it's because they earn less???   :-\
If you go to the States, you have to stay there for a certain period of time before you're allowed to bring only a certain value of stuff back through Customs.  If you go over your value limit for the amount of time you were there, then you pay Customs Duties so you might as well buy it here and save your car gas price there and back as well as your hotel bill!!   ;)  :D

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 01:16 AM »
HI just wondering when you go to the seaside for the day, or on holiday world wide do  the tourist after pay more for the goods they purchase , and do the locals get it cheaper my daughter just come back from kiwi land she said the cost of living there is exspensive and some of the goods that are produced there are cheaper to buy in the uk , no wonder locals there are into moonshine , when you go out for the day here in the uk i am sure the locals dont pay the same price as the tourist , as any one else thought the same ??   :)

Hi Greeny, things are definitely no cheaper for the locals here in Godzone, Mrs Kiwi in all her years has yet to set foot on the South Island of NZ, the main reason being that it's cheaper for us to head to places like Samoa, Tonga or any other South Pacific island than to holiday at home. If we want to visit one of the attractions we're paying the same as foreign tourists who until recently have enjoyed a very favourable exchange rate, for example a couple of years back a Kiwidollar only cost around 33p but it's been as high as 54p recently so things have got more expensive for tourists, the same thing has happened with the US and Ozzie dollar so if it wasn't for the newly affluent Chinese and other Asian visitors our tourist industry would be struggling. Besides we're a heckuva long way from the rest of civilisation, even those descendants of convicts across the ditch have to spend 8 hours in the stratosphere getting here and back home.
Dual pricing is more common than most people think, in Thailand there is the Thai price and there's a 'Farang' price which is usually double or treble the price the locals pay.
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Hi
         Yes it's strange in Aus. When the Aus dollar went up the price of petrol went up and when the dollar went down the price of petrol went up, how do you figure that out                                     herby

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 01:46 PM »
hi its been going on for years , two prices more so at holiday resorts , it happens in ashton ,more so on the market some stalls dont  show the price of the goods  until you ask the price ,if its above what you wanted to pay they will barter with you  :)