Author Topic: Liverpool pathway to care  (Read 12487 times)

Albert

• View Profile
Liverpool pathway to care
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:20 PM »
 I  see in the paper to day that some Inquiry wants to change the name to some thing more kind It says that the LPC as been used for 5 years. But my wife went into Christys 7 years ago for radiotherapy,but after 5 days in hospital I was told she had a perforated bowel and moved into a side ward and what I think was LPC eg staved and drudged until she died after 5 days later
My question to members of the board that have worked in hospitals how long as this been going on
and would some doctor sign her death warrant for 25 pieces of gold for the bonus to save bed blocking
      Not very happy Albert 

paul_b

• View Profile
Re: Liverpool pathway to care
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:50 AM »
My dad died Aug 30th last year in Bolton Hospice. Because my dads death was expected,he unexpectedly died very suddenly. They had to have a Inquest,into is death,because it was sudden. Before the Inquest i received all the statements from witnesses giving evidence at the Inquest. One statement was from his Consultant at the Hospice who i had only spoken to a few hours before my dad died. In her statement she said it had been discussed at length with the family about putting my dad on LPC. It was never discussed at all with either my mum or myself. I had never heard of LPC till i saw it in this statement,i had to google to find out what LPC was. The disturbing thing i discovered was a lot of people were put on this LPC without consulting loved ones,because the hospital got Financial Inducements to put people on the LPC. In fact the Government brought out some legislation i believe,ordering hospitals to speak with families first. The Consultant in my dads case was rebuked by the Coroner. One reason it was never discussed and was proved was , arrangements had been made with all difefrent departments for my dad to go home on the Thursday,because his condition had improved,unfortunately he died suddenly on the Tuesday.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 06:28 PM »
All so sad!  We just don't handle death very well, do we?  I had to practically force a young hospital doctor to say that my father was dying...he didn't seem to be able to say the word. Yet, I knew that my dad didn't have long as he was refusing to eat or drink. Instead they talked about putting a peg in his stomach i.e. force feeding. That's when I got really mad!!!!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I ain't no nurse but my wife is, and works with the LCP all the time ( you don't want a visit from her !!)  Most people in the hospice are on the LCP, and lots in the community, who choose to die at home. Angie is getting so upset with other peoples versions of what the LCP is, she is threatening to bring the paperwork home, so everyone can read what it takes to get on the pathway, I can't speak for any other areas, but in Tameside the family is very much involved, and as such the patient is given the most dignified and pain free exit into the next world .
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:47 PM »
i cant speak for Tameside either,Chris. Maybe Tameside do keep families involved. Im just speaking from my own experience.My mum nor me were ever involved,like i said i had to Google to find out what LPC was.Im sorry Angie gets upset,it must be so frustrating for her,especially the hard work she puts in.But in the end the Consultant as figures he or she as to reach,and the final decision is being made by them not the nurses.Money talks.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2013/01/30/peer-calls-for-liverpool-care-pathway-to-be-abolished/

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/review-of-liverpool-care-pathway-outlined

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20191568

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220409/My-diary-mums-awful-death-Liverpool-Care-Pathway-Nurses-heart-rending-account-doctors-decided-mother-pathway-death.html

I could go on forever posting these,but it isnt an isolated problem.Families must be consulted first.Not as Albert says for the 25 pieces of Gold.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Thanks paul b Our G/P said that my wife went in Christys for help and a perforated bowel was neglect
 and a doctor that works with my son said she was not that weak if it took 5 days
 Chris have you ever been sat with some one on LPC it is NOT pain free they suffer from pressure sores

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17 PM »
It would seem there was more than me unhappy about the LPC and is to be stopped for the time being
as many as 60.000 have been placed on the LPC without consent.Perhaps with the new way relations
will see some kind of form for them to sign and perhaps two doctors contra sign the form but not like the
Shipman case were the second doctor just ticked them off.
Also the bonus is to be stopped because of abuse by doctors to hit targets. 

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Yes, good news Albert.Its about time it was stopped.I just cant understand why it took so long.Lots of people voiced their concerns about it.like you said maybe now they can come up with something,that states that relatives must be informed,and paperwork signed by the those involved .

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 10:03 AM »
It is going to be an individual plan, per patient, which is pretty much what it is in the community anyway. All the problems flagged up were in hospitals, where it is pretty feasible that doctors would try and hurry people up, to free up beds !

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Hi Chris I know we will never agree about LPC  you or Angie benefit from from it I lost my wife of 52 years by it
I know we all have to die some time but when did a doctor be come judge and jury ??
We do not hang for murder
We do not allow people to help with suicide or euthanasia
On a death certificate as the LPC ever been put on as the cause of death ??
Perhaps Shipman was doing his bit for bed blocking

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Hi Albert, I totally feel for you, and can appreciate there are a million sides to any story, and this is going to go on for ever.
The LPC is just a part of palliative care, and I think the day someone decided the NHS needed to provide this service was a good day for all.
Not so long ago, you could not choose where you wanted to die, and whatever your choice, you are supported to the end.
My wife is not a doctor, she works at the dirty end tending to the patients and their families needs !

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Hi Chris I had to smile when you said your wife is not a doctor and works at the dirty end
for 20 odd years I worked at NWW at local sewerage works and the nurses would come on
a tour of the works with there hankies over there nose I wonder how they went on in the wards