Author Topic: 1930's = 1940's Game - Pegotty  (Read 258 times)

ayess

• View Profile
Re: 1930's = 1940's Game - Pegotty
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 06:05 AM »
Thank you Joyce-in-Canada and Fudge for your kind thoughts, no it is not anything that will return. My biggest problem is all these kind, enthusiastic ladies, those whom we would have called Almoners one time. "Mr Shaw you are an "Old Man"  and live alone. How can you take care of yourself?" One came this morning and was quite surprised to see how clean and neat the place is, when I gave a menu of the meals I cook myself she was quite surprised. Evidently I do not fit the profile of "Old Man" it the University text books. Well. I'm not the one to change. Stay well, best wishes to all,  Ayess.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Never heard of "splits" before....what on earth was it for?   What was the point - or end result?  and besides the kitchen knife, what did you use and what was the intent?   ???

Here we go, Joyce, I'll give you my version of the "game." Two opponents stand facing each other with their legs reasonably wide apart (for obvious reasons). The game is usually played on grass or soft soil (yet again, for obvious reasons). Presumably, some decision is already made about who will start first. Each combatant is armed with a throwing knife. The objective is to throw your knife between the legs of your opponent, but making it land (stick in the ground) perfectly. How the game ended I'm not entirely sure although there were the inevitable accidents!

PS Until the Market Hall, in Ashton, burned down a few years back, there stood a stall inside which sold every form of kitchen and household knives and cutlery. In one large display cabinet, they had a large number of knives - clearly not for sale to us little oiks but fascinating to us nonetheless. This was where you got your throwing knives from. Every trip to Ashton for us lads involved a look at the throwing knives and also a trip to Rogersons, opposite the old bus station to look at all the bottles of spirits on display - but especially the "rocket fuel strength" Polish and Russian vodka. Little boys have strange fascinations.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 10:31 AM »
hi too shy thats the game split the kippers , any one remember these two games slaps, and knuckles ? must have been mad  :)

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 10:21 PM »
KICK  CAN  WHIP
to me it was KICK  CAN and HOOKY

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 03:05 AM »
Never heard of "splits" before....what on earth was it for?   What was the point - or end result?  and besides the kitchen knife, what did you use and what was the intent?   ???
Hi Joyce, well any knife would do...... (usually one from the home cutlery drawer) so, its a game for two players - who stood on soft ground (grass) and faced each other with their feet astride at shoulder width. Okay, the object of the game was to make your opponent do the splits by progressivly widening their stance (feet) until they eventually fall over. In order to do that one player threw the knife at the ground which had to stick in the soft grass (blade first) if it stuck in the ground then the opponent had to move their foot to touch the knife then remove it from the ground and give the knife back to the thrower....... for another go. Hence if you could stick the knife in at every throw - the the game is won by the thrower because the opponent would eventually lose balance and fall over. However, if a throwers blade did not stick-in, then the other player became the thrower and so worked on the opponent to widen their stance. I often saw this game whereby both players were at their limit of balance... and because of that neither player could successfully throw the knife to make it stick-in the ground (watchers would retrieve any knife that had bounced away from reach of the players) - then it became a test of strength and duration. So, whomever fell over first - duly lost the contest. Hard to explain the tension, strength and levels of concentration required... but I hope you've got the principals of how it was played. I've seen players who were straddled for hours - some even continued to play after dark (in torchlight) Hahaha - the good old days brought out pride grit and a great determination to last. - eh?

Have a great day.....

-Larry

LCGI

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 06:41 PM »
hi too shy thats the game split the kippers , any one remember these two games slaps, and knuckles ? must have been mad  :)
Hi Greeny..... yes remember both "slaps and knuckles" very well - I even taught those games to my own kids too - Ha.Ha.

- Have a good week.