Author Topic: Where's Bill?  (Read 9812 times)

Meg

• View Profile
Where's Bill?
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Has he been sighted recently?
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: Where's Bill?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Dunno, he hasn't been spotted round my neck of the woods  ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19 PM »
Hello Meg.

Still alive and kicking.

My absence from here is down to me not particularly wanting to contribute to a board where posts are removed for party-political reasons.

For those who missed 'the event' a few weeks ago, it started when I posted a single-word comment and linked it to a news item in which the Labour party leader, Ed Milliband, said “we got it wrong” in relation to a particular subject (which dare not speak its name).

I was angry that for nigh on a decade, his party and its supporters have ignored people's concern on the subject, often stigmatising those people with the word I used, and felt that his comment had more to do with the local council elections than with anything else.  There was a lot of anger wrapped up in the word I posted but it was no more offensive than others that have appeared on here over the years.

As for the subject itself, it isn't as hyper-sensitive as some want to make out.

Unfortunately for my post, the message from the Labour party high command that it's now acceptable for grown-up people to discuss the subject hadn't reached some of the troops and it was removed along with a few other posts in the thread.

I don't want to upset the apple cart for those who think the board should be all sweetness and light and Stamford Street so, as I said the other week, I'll be piping down from now on.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:26 AM »
Hi Bill

I also replied to your post in relation to the subject of which we shall not speak  ;) to be honest you were raising a fair point however I can't remember my exact reply which was probably one of my typical inane 'off the cuff' comments. However, there was also a response from another poster who shall remain nameless which could IMHO be construed as being fairly inflammatory and could have lead to allegations of '***ist' comments being levelled against this site and its owner, therefore it was hardly surprising to see that particular post deleted. I must admit I was surprised to see all the posts on the subject taken down as well and mentioned this to you via IM.

As I've stated previously this site is Martins train set and we should respect that and abide by his decisions, even if it does state 'For putting the world to rights or other topics of interest to readers of this site' on the front door of the General Discussion forum  ;)

I don't want to upset the apple cart for those who think the board should be all sweetness and light and Stamford Street.

What's wrong with a bit of sweetness and light anyway ?  :)

There's always this place should folk need to partake of a bit of spleen venting  ;)

So, get your post count back up again you lazy bugger, as you can tell by the title of this thread you have been missed by many and I can't keep the comedy factor going all by meself  ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40 AM »
Hi Bill.....
I would be so very pleased if you could please re-consider your decision to "pipe down", Bill!   :)   I often find your pictures and their wonderfully amusing titles and themes, etc.  are things that brighten my day many a time, and in my humble opinion are truly clever pieces of a form of "art"!  :)
Life can sometimes be not so great for lots of people, and your sense of humour and your great photos are often the one thing that breaks the miserable spell. 
I had no idea so many posts were removed, although I suppose some people could construe them as being controversial and it was public knowledge anyway as far as I can tell, however, with the forum being so terribly quiet over the past several days I was beginning to think everyone had decided to leave.  I hope not, and although I know politics and religion can often lead to big upsets and I try to avoid commenting on many occasions for that reason alone (even though I actually have very strong feelings about various subjects), it would be a terrible shame if everyone deserted this forum for such places as Facebook, etc.

As KennethO always says.....Cheers, everyone.    ;D   Joyce
P.S.  I think Spring has finally arrived here for me - at least some of my tulips are blooming now, my white Star Magnolia tree is in full blossom, and my grass is once again green.  Lovely....although we had another day of snow last week!   ??? :o  J. 

Ashtonian54

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:41 AM »

I like Bill
Don't be a stranger!

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39 AM »
 I also like Bill and all he contributes. He makes the world a lot brighter with his pictures and sense of humour.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Hello Meg.

Still alive and kicking.

My absence from here is down to me not particularly wanting to contribute to a board where posts are removed for party-political reasons.

For those who missed 'the event' a few weeks ago, it started when I posted a single-word comment and linked it to a news item in which the Labour party leader, Ed Milliband, said “we got it wrong” in relation to a particular subject (which dare not speak its name).

I was angry that for nigh on a decade, his party and its supporters have ignored people's concern on the subject, often stigmatising those people with the word I used, and felt that his comment had more to do with the local council elections than with anything else.  There was a lot of anger wrapped up in the word I posted but it was no more offensive than others that have appeared on here over the years.

As for the subject itself, it isn't as hyper-sensitive as some want to make out.

Unfortunately for my post, the message from the Labour party high command that it's now acceptable for grown-up people to discuss the subject hadn't reached some of the troops and it was removed along with a few other posts in the thread.

I don't want to upset the apple cart for those who think the board should be all sweetness and light and Stamford Street so, as I said the other week, I'll be piping down from now on.

As usual I'm A dittoman

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:18 PM »
I think Bill filled the gap when we lost GG RIP and as been one of the main stays of the forum
Come back Bill. Albert

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I'm going to see my MP, and ask him to table a bring back Bill BIll  :)  You know it makes sense! C'mon Bill please start posting again, I'm missing you too !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 10:28 PM »
I miss reading your comments too Bill, please carry on regardless :)

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Bill come back,its costing you a fortune propping that bar up at your local watering hole.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

First of all, my recent comments aren't a case of me taking my ball home, they're a bit more than that.

I think Martin does a good job and don't want make that job any harder so I'll continue to post pictures and leave the comments to others.

Regards,

Bill

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 03:53 PM »
For the record, Bill, your post was not removed for party political reasons, but for one of the responses to it, over which someone else then said they were "out of here". I just don't want that kind of bad feeling here and thought it simplest to remove your post and those that followed it. I am sorry if this offended you. You are perfectly entitled to post criticisms of Ed Milliband if you wish. That was not why the posts were removed.
Martin

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 09:11 AM »
I was watching a programme the other night, the first half was just satire on the current news, but the 2nd half was a debate. There was a young English Asian labour MP, Peter Stringfellow and goofy Porter woman ( both pensioners) The MP was saying it was out of order, how the young and working class people are being punished by the austerity measures, and that the pensioners have not been affected at all. He is in the media somewhere, saying the 5% of rich pensioners should hand back their bus passes and winter fuel payments. 
It was a brilliant heated argument for the rest of the program, but got me thinking !!
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!