Author Topic: Ashton Technical College (Hegginbottom School for Boys?)  (Read 23558 times)

tonyf9

• View Profile
Hello to everyone,
I am a new member and this is my first post, so I hope someone can help me with some information.
I was a pupil at the Tech College in the same building as the Library and Art School on Old Street during the years 1952/57, and I have no idea if the posts I have read in the forum are referring to the same place, particularly those indicating a different spelling.
The only teaching staff names I can recall were Mr Horrocks (School Principal), who took History, and Mr Williams who took Geography, and they both wore gowns. Others who took Maths, French, Science etc were not so formally dressed.
Prior to my leaving the college we went on a trip to Spain, and this was included with the Girls School, but I am so vague where everyone came from.
I joined Mather & Platt as an Engineering Cadet after leaving school, and moved to Australia some 12 years later.
As a start, I am trying to find out when the school ceased to operate, and any advice as to where info may be got from.

I am enjoying reading the forum on all subjects, and I will be pleased to receive any comments you may have, or questions of me.

Tony

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Technical College (Hegginbottom School for Boys?)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:35 PM »
The Archives and Local Studies  that is a new building joined to the Library will have the info you want I can't remember it still being a School in 1962 when I left the girls school. If you look on the TMC web site and go on A scroll down to the Archives and there Email address will be on it. Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I was a pupil at the Tech College in the same building as the Library and Art School on Old Street during the years 1952/57, and I have no idea if the posts I have read in the forum are referring to the same place, particularly those indicating a different spelling.

Hello Tony. Yes, it was the same place and the spelling is "Heginbottom".

You can see it here on the Google Street View that shows the words "Heginbottom Technical School and Free Library" on the wall facing Oldham Road.

The Heginbottom Girls' School was in the former Mechanics Institute at the junction of Church Street and Warrington Street.
Martin

tonyf9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 02:10 AM »
Thank you for the response, and I can continue my search in the areas of interest.
A further query I have, is on the way or method of selection, that either boys or girls, became Heginbottom students. I recall sitting an exam prior to joining the "Tech", but does anyone know if this applied by invitation, or requested by parents?

An interesting recollection I have, is that our Principal was a fierce supporter of our school, and what it stood for.
One day at the morning assembly, he indicated that after the routine address he normally gave, he had some serious business to impart on us all. Apparently he had travelled to school that day and overheard a group of boys from the Grammar School, conversing with a group from our school, with the overall topic of discussion being the suggested superiority of the Grammar School. His frustration was that our boys accepted an argument supporting the claim, and he went on to point out the achievements of our school in education, and as he knew who the offending boys were, he was going to get them together and educate them in the required input they had to contribute to change that perception.

Tony

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:58 AM »
For the Girls school we sat a test to see what stream we would be in A or B the school its self was a Secondary School and you just applied like you do today. For Fairfield Girls Audenshaw Boys and Ashton Grammer you had to sit your 11plus exam and pass to get in one of them Fudge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Hi
       The Mechanics Institute and later the Modern Girls School was a military hospital during World war one
  My Mother had a photograph taken with patients and nurses on the steps in Church street.    herby

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Tony. I worked at The Central Library on Old st from 1964 to 1968. As far as I remember there was no longer anyone using the rooms formerly occupied by the boys school or the art school. My mother sat her entrance exam for the Grammar school in the late 1920s and she had to go on a Saturday morning to Heginbottom Boys School to sit the examination.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36 PM »
I have a friend who originally failed his 11 plus, and went to Stamford Boys, but at 13  then passed to go to the Grammar School, but chose to go to the Technical College instead - that would have been in 1958.  He thinks this was the very best thing for him and did very well, qualifying, after time, as a professional engineer.  I'll ask him if he wouldn't mind sharing his email address with you.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

seabe443

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 05:04 AM »
Hi Tony only just discovered this thread, I was a pupil at The Tech 1955 -1958 i think (still have my old reports so can check).
we did have an entrance exam to pass to attend.  i was in the E stream remember Mr Horrocks well.  (2 of the best for forgetting homework.)
who tried in vain to instil the principles of calculus into me.
Not sure when the tech closed.  I know i went on to do GCE at Beaufort Rd.
I too live in Australia - Tasmania in fact

Colin

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:40 AM »
I have just caught up with the forum so coming a little late into the conversation. My apologies if I cover something already discussed. Up to 1944 on the Library campus there were four separate places, the Heginbottom Public Library, the Heginbottom Technical School, the Heginbottom Modern School and the Heginbottom School of Arts (upstairs from the entrance to the library).Down the corridor on the left as you enter the portico of the main library entrance the rooms along the corridor were the science laboratory, the wood work room and the semicircular room at the end was a lecture theatre. The two story building at the rear consisted of classrooms on the top floor and a metalwork room and a room full of cotton machinery which was never in use in my time.  i did the first two years of my secondary education at the Modern School. The main staff were the headmaster Mr Whitehead MA MC and his deputy Mr 'Sammy' Ashton. The rest of the staff appeared to be somewhat itinerant. This together with Mr Whitehead being the Chief Air-Raid Warden for the town and often absent meant that there were times when 'Sammy' Ashton had the school to run on his own! Eventually complaints were made to the council, one person reckoned that, "the Modern School has become a 'Bear Garden' and so at the end of the school year 1944 the "Modern Dogs" left the "Tech Rats" to have the whole place to themselves. We had a choice of attending either Stamford Senior Boys or West End Council Schools. Most of us decided to follow Mr Whitehead up Mossley Road for our final year of school. Incidentally, on most days I used to walk to and from Hill Street, between Portland and Welbeck Street up to school every day. Maybe that is why I am still going strong at 86 in March. Stay well.   Ayess

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Thanks for the history.
I went to Stamford after Holy Tripe Shop(my grandma fathers side had the  Tripe shop on Katherine St.  close to Bentinck St)(spell check is almost almost as good a laugh as Kiwi.(Icumbent from Bentinck) the mind boggles.
Whitehead some times gave Stamford  School Boys a lift to school in his old Ford car.(2 door) He always had to play around with the choke to keep it running,hence a really strong smell of petrol.

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 04:37 AM »
ayess, Do you recall any other Teachers names. I recall a math teacher Mr Winded.. I was there in 1941 and many of the teachers were called up for service. I gained a lot of French language from the French teacher. and Science had a good man also ,who could have made a fortune playing baseball. He could throw a piece of chalk like a bullet.

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49 PM »
Hi Brian! Sorry I am a little late, I've been down in Sydney celebrating my birthday with my daughter. I've been turning my brain over looking for teacher's names, here is what I have come up with. "Jacko" Jackson, tall bald headed guy, invalided out of the RAF with a metal plate in his skull, took Geometry and Maths, died from Scarlet Fever. "Chinny" Williams, took English with a very strong Welsh accent, "Look you". "Woody" Williams, he of the enormous eye brows! Took Woodwork, Mrs Chadwick took Science. Some of the "fillers in" I remember, but not their names. There was the elderly lady whose hero in history was Garibaldi. There was the sister of one of the Technical School teachers who sent any recalcitrants around to her brother for a whack with the cane he carried in the sleeve of his gown. Oh! Yes we had Mr Horrocks, another invalided out from the services. He didn't stay long but had some "different" ideas in education, which seemed to work. They were interesting times, looking back. Stay well,   Ayess.

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Ayess,  Thanks for the memories. I recall Mr Jackson and Mr Williams. One teacher I recall had an arsenal of canes in his sleeve and would let you pick which he should use.
I am 90 this year in December!. and I used to run home to Montague Rd at lunchtime !!! the  young
nowadays cannot navigate a block  without mummy
 picking them up in the car. I had a Green blazer with a Red Rose embroidered on the pocket.  Mr Whitehead arranged for me to take an exam and I left for the Grammar School for a year and a half.  Do you  ever meet up with Jayess in Queensland, I have corresponded with him but not heard of him  for sometime.

Cheers  Brian

brian seward

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 05:19 AM »
A teacher,s name just popped into my head   Mr Bagnall I think he was Chemistry  Mr Ashton was Geography I am talking 1941!!!