Author Topic: World Ice Skating Championships, London, Ont.  (Read 1353 times)

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
World Ice Skating Championships, London, Ont.
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Just been watching on TV the CBC broadcating the first of the World Ice Skating Championship competitions taking place here in London, Ontario at the Budweiser Gardens (about 6km from me in downtown - next to the Covent Garden Market), five minutes walk from the River Thames!    ;D ;D   No, this isn't London, England, but I'm sure there are lots of people visiting from there to see this great event.
It will last until Sunday, March 17th and I was just wondering if any of you have even heard of all this taking place on your news?   (The new Pope Francis I of Argentina was shown making his first appearance on the Balcony at the same time, so I was switching back and forth - not that I'm Catholic, but just interested who they chose!).   
They say there's not a hotel room to be had here in London, and they've been heavy-duty-spraying and sprucing up all the street sidewalks, etc.  (which is no small feat when it's winter with dirty snow around and thousands of new people sightseeing), and everyone here is thrilled to little pieces.   While I was watching the Pairs Short Program, I couldn't see one empty seat inside the arena.  (The Russian pair came first, Canada 2nd in the Short Program).
I won't be enjoying the competitions from inside the Budweiser Gardens arena myself (which would be nice) but I do hope all goes well for the visiting skaters and their friends and families from all the countries involved and they take away a good impression of our little London, Ontario.    ;D ;D