Author Topic: Holy Trinity Ashton  (Read 17879 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Holy Trinity Ashton
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I was told yesterday that Holy Trinity is closing down so sad to hear that as over many years lots of my family have been married there or baptised It mke you wonder what it will be turned in to. Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Holy Trinity Ashton
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24 PM »
Church or school?
Martin

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:29 PM »
All of our family went to HT,Pop Mac was the headmaster,a few names come to memory,Ms Burgess, Ms.Martin Ms Steele(nee Platt),Ms.JagoI have a 1947 class photo.I sang in the choir when Hayden and then Hancock were there.My sister did the school dinners up until a few years ago.I went in the church on my last but 1 visit about 8 years ago and it seemed to be partially cultural center(muslim??)
It still smelt the same as 60 years before (moldy and damp)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:43 PM »
The Church not the School Fudge

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:48 AM »
Find it very sad as you think churches will go on forever but society is vastly changing

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35 AM »
Don't forget that Ashton is down from four Catholic churches a decade ago to just two. Several Methodist churches have closed. Many churches are becoming unsustainable these days when you balance the diminishing congregations with the increasing maintenance and repair bills. It is sad but unavoidable.
Martin

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36 AM »
Just wondering which four catholic churches there were 10 years ago, could only think of st christophers now and is st annes church goin still, st marys got knocked down and can't think of another one.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:36 AM »
St Ann burlington st St Mary Wellington Rd St Christopher Lees Rd and St Paul (Guide Bridge)
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Thats right always forget guide bridge

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 06:38 AM »
Hi
         I was working on some houses on the other side of the road from St Christopher's. Opposite Raymond Plants garage when they were building it I think that was in 1946 or 7   herby

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Hello Herby,

Hope all goes well with you.........The houses you were talking about, were they the back to front houses just after the Royal Oak and before Connery Crescent? Gerald's mother used to have the end one nearest to Connery Crescent.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 02:55 PM »
I think the houses were known as The Dirty Dozen. Groovin G. lived in one I think.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 05:05 AM »
Hi Maureen
                    Yes those were the ones.I remember now it was 1947 and it was a very bad winter. The cabin for the job was that air raid shelter just after the Royal Oak. I had to be first there every morning because I had the key. I had to light the fire ready for the morning break. I was the apprentice so I had to go for the dinners as well.   I laid my first brick there. Probably on the house that Gerald's mother lived in That's where they started and finished near the Royal Oak.  herby

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 06:00 AM »
Hi Jaywit,

The houses that Herby is talking about are further up Lees Road towards Hurst Cross. The ones that GG lived in are opposite St. Christophers, you went down steps off the main road to get to GG's.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 01:13 PM »
hi did the holy trinity have a drinking water fountaing built into the wall i seem to remember it :)