Author Topic: FA Cup  (Read 4756 times)

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
FA Cup
« on: January 28, 2013, 04:34 AM »
Up The Latics.Got to chew the Toffees next.I've been a Latics fan for years my Dad used take me Boundary Park when i was very young.Boundary Park ground was one of the first places in Oldham I could remember.
Regards Kevin

KENNETHO

• View Profile
Re: FA Cup
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:19 AM »
hi i have a soft spot for the latics hope they do well cheers kennetho

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28 PM »
I'm so pleased the Latics pulled off a great win - not least because it should bring some much need finance into their coffers. Mrs S.O.N. is from Royton and she was so wound up she couldn't bear to watch the last 15 mins. It brought back memories for me of standing on the Rochdale Road end terrace in the 1960s with the icy Pennine winds whistling around where you didn't want them to whistle. Priceless.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 11:44 PM »
I'm so pleased the Latics pulled off a great win - not least because it should bring some much need finance into their coffers. Mrs S.O.N. is from Royton and she was so wound up she couldn't bear to watch the last 15 mins. It brought back memories for me of standing on the Rochdale Road end terrace in the 1960s with the icy Pennine winds whistling around where you didn't want them to whistle. Priceless.

A decent run in the FA Cup certainly raises some extra revenue (much needed finance) as you say, Son of Nomad, but it isn't exactly a king's ransom. My calculations show that Oldham wil have earned 202,500 so far in prize money

First Round 18,000
Second Round 27,000
Third Round 67,500
Fourth Round 90,000

and, if they are to get past Everton in the next (Fifth) Round, they'll earn another 180,000

These amounts look good on paper but, in this day and age of precarious football finance, they'll hardly be a drop in the ocean where Oldham's debts are concerned.

A 10,295 gate yesterday against Liverpool will have to be halved once the match officials' fees etc have been deducted and legitimate travel costs for the travelling side have been deducted also. In addition, the home side will also have had to employ additional security staff and pay for additional policing. Admittedly, the programme sales, catering (depending on whether or not they've got the financial rights to it) and the bar takings will go to the home side.

Sorry to be a bit of a wet blanket, but it isn't really the massive pay day that we might imagine it to be. Next, it's back to Football League business and fighting for survival at the wrong end of the table. Life's not rosy in this part of the footballing food chain and there are lots of other clubs just like Oldham who have to struggle, not just from year to year, but from week to week.

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I will never forget working in the Lab one night, it might of been 86, not sure , but Oldham were playing and Frankie Bunn scored 6 , it was fantastic listening to that match . I think that was the FA cup too.
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:14 AM »
A decent run in the FA Cup certainly raises some extra revenue (much needed finance) as you say, Son of Nomad, but it isn't exactly a king's ransom.

That's disappointing Too shy - I imagined their share would be higher. When Latics have disposed of Everton we shall just have pray they draw Man Utd at Old Trafford. Although I'm an Ashton lad I have a soft spot for the Latics. My job occasionally took me to Boundary Park to discuss certain matters with Bernard Halford (then secretary) and I also met Jimmy Frizzell there when he was manager. I always look for their result every Saturday.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:03 PM »
i  sighned amature forms with oldham when i was 15 but never made it.i got as far as stalybridge celtic res. 10 bob a week.happy days for sure.. cheerskennetho up the latics get the toffees..and you never know???

PJackson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 12:33 PM »
I will never forget working in the Lab one night, it might of been 86, not sure , but Oldham were playing and Frankie Bunn scored 6 , it was fantastic listening to that match . I think that was the FA cup too.

It was Oldham Athletic V Scarborough Littlewoods Cup 25 October 1989.