Poll

Well, did man walk on the moon ??

Yes, top job chaps.
7 (77.8%)
No, It was all filmed on the Coro St Site.
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: 40 Years Ago Today  (Read 7122 times)

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
40 Years Ago Today
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:55 AM »
Mankind landed on the Moon Forty years ago today... Top job by the SPAMS  :)

I am close to poking Mrs Kiwi in the eye because she has read some old b-s that we never went to the Moon and is being argumentative.

Yes we flippin did.. we're talking about the original Moonwalker  ;)  long before  some kiddy fiddler stole the title.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: 40 Years Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Yes I stayed up nearly all night watching it. Thought people would be holidaying there now Ha ha ;D ;D Fudge

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:12 PM »
I was 8 years old and it makes me annoyed being told that it never happened as although went to bed as usual I was woken up especially to watch the event and both my sisters made special scrap books at the time. Wondering Jan have you still got yours? I'd feel very cheated if my childhood excitement had all been a lie but saw the man from jodrell bank on tv and believe again!!!!!!

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:15 PM »
If they were really on the moon , why did the flag they planted flutter in the breeze.

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:58 PM »
HI  Seems strange there must be some wind of some sort,when you look up in the sky you see clouds going by.they say its one big cheese so it must stink bad.  :D :D :D         
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:53 AM »
If the U.S. didn't get to the moon I'm sure Russia would have been the first to point it out.  ::)

Of course they went to the moon. How else did they film The Clangers?

One of the things that the astronauts did whilst on the moon was to emplace laser reflectors which were used to very accurately calculate not only the moons distance from earth, but its rate of drift away from its parent planet - among other things. And oddly enough I met a bloke in the pub once who told me the moon landings were faked because "you need moisture in the ground to leave footprints and there is no moisture on the moon so... yadda yadda". I pointed out that twenty years ago I worked in the Simpson Desert, where there is also bugger all moisture and that my vehicle tracks and foot prints are probably still there.  ;)

Job Jobbed. (Unless you wear a tin-foil hat and think the X-Files was a documentary)
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38 AM »
*lol* I thought it was Kiwi *adjusting my aluminium fedora*

jan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:52 AM »
Lydia - can't remember a scrap book but we certainly collected news cuttings and colour postcards.  Not sure if I still have any of them as I think Matt had them for a school project.  I do remember all the excitement that day though.  While on the subject of space travel I have a stamp commemorating Yuri Gagarin (first man in space) that I bought in Ashton market when I was very young. :)

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:42 AM »
Re the Moon landing a fake.How can so many people Who worked on the whole set up can keep a secret.If there is three people talking one wont leave in case the other two had something to say about the who left
Kevin

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:51 AM »
I dont think it was staged. I watched every second of it , and thought it was the greatest thing since the abolition of the Chastity belt. But if you listen to some of the evidence against it taking place , it does make you wonder. I mentioned the flag fluttering , another expert worked out that the time delay , between NASA sending a radio message and the time it took the Astronauts to reply it couldnt have come from the moon. I think he actually pinpointed to within a mile as to were the Astronauts were supposed to be. I suppose a way to win over the doubters would be to get NASA to give some moonrock to a neutral geologist, and ask him to test it, and see if it compares with stuff on earth.

My uncle was on holiday in Russia when Yuri Gagarin took off. He brought me back loads of souveniers, posters, books, and badge with Gagarin on it. Couldnt read any of the posters , all in bloody Ruski wernt they. Bet they would be worth a fortune now.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:55 AM »
hi what makes me wonder if they did or did not land on the moon , why as no one ever gone back after 40 years , russia tried it they said there was a radiation belt ,but i would say they did go to the moon ,but there are many conspirousy theories about a lot of events that have happened over the years and the moon landing being one  :D

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:19 AM »
I agree Greeny, with all the junk flying about up above us. Why have they not taken any pics of the landing site , to see how it as stood up to the test of time. I think we should get onto Google, we have Google Earth. Why not Google moon.

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:05 PM »
HI  Re google moon just write in google moon and send, google will take you to the MOON                              
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:08 AM »
How come the moon's an exact fit over the sun when there's a solar eclipse?
[geek mode]
 It's just one of them strange coincidences, the moon is actually moving away from our planet and in give or take a couple of million years the moon will appear smaller so there won't be any more total eclipses.
[/geek mode]  :D

Ashtonian54

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 04:09 AM »
I agree Greeny, with all the junk flying about up above us. Why have they not taken any pics of the landing site , to see how it as stood up to the test of time. I think we should get onto Google, we have Google Earth. Why not Google moon.

They have, just recently and soon they will have closer pictures.