Author Topic: Christchurch School on Oldham Road, Ashton  (Read 9793 times)

Patsy R

• View Profile
Christchurch School on Oldham Road, Ashton
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:57 PM »
Hi from British Columbia, Canada.
My name's Patricia Ross (Rothwell). I used to live on Henrietta Street and Oldham Road and went to school at St James and later, Christchurch.  I'm looking for old school photos from about 1951 - 1961 from both schools. My sister Christine Rothwell now lives in CapeTown, South Africa. I married John Ross in 1964 and we emigrated to Canada in 1974. We have 2 children Dave and Julie, 2 grandchildren and two great grandchildren. If you have a pic or two from my school years will you please post on here and maybe contact me if you remember me or Christine. I don't have any school pix at all.
Thanks so much
Patsy     

Meg

• View Profile
Re: Christchurch School on Oldham Road, Ashton
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Hi Patricia
Welcome to the website discussion group. Are you familiar with Facebook as there's an Ashton under Lyne group on there as well as Ashton under Lyne old pictures pages. There have been photos of Christchurch school on there but not sure they're from the early 50s
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Hi Meg. Thanks for the reply. Yep, we're on FaceBook under John's name. I'll check out that group page and the old pictures page on Saturday. You're probably all in bed by now. Its 5:20 pm here so that's after midnight there. Actually I went to Christchurch  in 1957 so anything between then and 1961 would do.  :)
Thanks again
Patsy

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:00 PM »
hi i knew some rothwells mother and daughter i certain she was called christine rothwell they worked at george nixons leather works bentinck street i think christine was going out with the son of the landlord from the theatre and concert ,after the leather works  she then went to work at i c l  park road dukinfield  christine then got married , i think to a ronnie collins it might be the same rothwells but it is many years ago did you both go to st james and which st james hurst brook or central  :)

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Hi Greeny. Thanks for your reply. Yep, That's my mom May and my sister Christine. Chris and I both went to St. James' but I can't remember which one it was. Chris and Ron now live in retirement in CapeTown, South Africa. They've been there about 28 years. Mom died about 26 years ago but she travelled to South Africa and to Canada a few times in her later years. We've  been in Canada for 38 years. :)

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:36 PM »
hi st james hurst brook was on union road and king georges playing fields were at the rear and st james central was near st james church i went to st james central mid 50s left in 1960 , i am glad christine and ronnie are living the dream,  it long way from those i c l days and the bad summers we get now , as ronnie give up power lifting now  :D

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21 PM »
I now know who you mean seeing Greeny said Power lifting Christine had a sister a bit older Worked with Ronnie and Christine at  ICL but knew her before that so it could Have been from St James Central Fudge

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 12:17 AM »
Hi again Greeny. It must have been St. James Central that I went to because I remember the church near there. I was there until I was nine years old which would have been in 1955. I got really ill and spent the next 1 1/2 years in hospital. After that I went to Christchurch School. Do you have a class picture of 1955 or is that before your time there? By the way, Ron hasn't done any lifting for a number of years now, he's 78 or so, but he's still involved in it in some capacities,  like judging etc. We've been to visit Ron and Chris a few times in SA and it really is a fantastic place to see. :)

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 12:20 AM »
Hi Fudge. Yep, I'm 13 months older than Chris. When we talk on Skype on the weekend I'll tell her about you and Greeny. Cheers! :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I Will send you a private message Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 01:01 PM »
hi i have two school group photographs of st james when i attended st james  in the 50s i will try and put them on here i am a bit wooden when it comes to out technical  :)

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:30 PM »
Ya Greeny. Same here. I'll look out for the pix. Thanks :D

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07 PM »
Hi Greeny and Fudge. Wondering if you're on FaceBook or Skype? If you are on FB maybe you could send pix on that?

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Patsy R - I was going to suggest looking on Friends Reunited web site for Christ Church photos but since they rehashed the site I myself have not been able to access anything on it, let alone school photos. Perhaps you might have better luck!

Patsy R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Son of Nomad....Yeah we tried Friends Reunited but  that seems to be in decline now since neither up us here are able to find anyone on that site. Thanks for the input though.  Patsy