Author Topic: brush works  (Read 4726 times)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
brush works
« on: September 11, 2012, 12:35 AM »
was there a brush companyin or around ashton i think my mother used to work at one called shaws ??

Jayess

• View Profile
Re: brush works
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Hi Kenny  --There was  Brush factory called Shaw`s Brush Works --I cannot remember the Street name where it was . They used to Dye all the Bristles etc for Brushes & I do know this for my Father Worked there just before the War &  into 1940 when he left there for a job labouring at Ryecroft Electric.  --Jayess

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45 AM »
There was Shaws brush works on Winton Street Ashton which is just under the small tunnel next to the big one at Charlestown. They also had a warehouse facing it both burned down some time in the 50s at different times We use to watch the stoker throwing coal in to this huge boiler Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:12 AM »
hi shaws brush works , brought back some memories , i bet all turner lane and the streets around turned out to watch when the warehouse on winton street burnt down, i did ,  the fire brigade were there days after damping down , it was short time after when the other side burnt down i think that started in the boiler house , they cleared the sites after and built a cash and carry warehouse , and a tea warehouse where the first fire was ,which later became a waste paper warehouse not been round there for years dont know if the buildings are still there

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 12:42 PM »
thanks for the info. i dont know when my mother worked there it could of been around 1920 or even before as far as i know. cheers kennetho.

ourjud1

• wherever I live ashton will always be home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:21 PM »
Hi There was a brush works on Old Street on the corner of Bentinck St. It was called Rodo Brushes.

ourjud1
up the boro

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:36 PM »
I think Rodo brushes went up Oldham road and later took over the old Asda ?

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I used to live near Shaw's Brushworks that occupied the block between Warre St and Winton St off Turner Lane. My school friend Lorraine Hilton's dad used to stoke the boilers there. We used to watch from the doors on Winton St. The brushworks hooter signalling dinner time acted as a clock in our house. The works must have burned down later than 1954; it was still there when I moved to Waterloo. My Mum said the air-raid shelter was in the factory during the War. She used to write letters to my dad from there whilst he was away in the Army.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 10:37 PM »

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 09:25 AM »
Hi Meg Sam is 93 now and can walk better than me. Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 01:09 PM »
I don't suppose Sam Hilton would remember me but I used to spend a lot of time round at their house and Lorraine and I used to walk up to Elgin st school together.
Meg
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I will try and remember to ask him next time I see him Fudge

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 02:22 AM »
My father also worked at Shaw's Brush Works, Jayess. He was a "Bass Dresser", I don't think th job had anything to do with setting up the bottled beer.  Ayess

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 08:02 AM »
According to a book on Occupations,a Bass Dresser, dressed fibre. Im still non the wiser.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 07:02 PM »
A bass broom is what the old road sweeper used with very hard bristles
According to a book on Occupations,a Bass Dresser, dressed fibre. Im still non the wiser.