Author Topic: Stamford High School video  (Read 7010 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
Stamford High School video
« on: January 29, 2012, 12:22 AM »

Here's a video of Stamford High School, thought I would film it before it disappears. It was all locked up and I couldn't get in the grounds, but this is what I managed to get of the frontage.

http://youtu.be/6DMYn7e3p64

Vanessa

Jayess

• View Profile
Re: Stamford High School video
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:09 AM »
Vanessa --That brings back many happy memories & also some painful ones too.  I was a Prefect for the last year which ended for me in 1939. The last time I was at Stamford Boy's I was in the Navy & on leave walking across Ashton market when I was tapped on the shoulder by Mr Duncan the headmaster & he asked me to visit the school annd so I went there the following day & he took me around showing me all the classes & what & how they had altered during the War yrs. I was bored to tears but he was pleased & that made his day.  I am sorry to see it go but time marches on. --Jayess

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:01 AM »
thanks for that venessa i was there when it was the stamford boys school and we also used the school for the sea cadets too. sorry to  see it go. cheers kennetho

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Thanks for the lovely film Vanessa. It is sad to see the place looking so neglected. I cannot believe such a building will be demolished, it was only put up in 1932. The newer bits will not be such a loss! As your camera panned around the classrooms, I remembered the subjects taught in each one and the names of the teachers too! As a matter of fact, I can still remember the names of the boys in my class, 1A of 1966!!! I could bore you with them sometime if you like!!!
The Black Knight rides again!

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40 PM »
Great video, Vanessa, to say you couldn't get in the grounds. Fond memories of Stamford and many of the superb teachers, including Miss Warren. My daughter attended there 1981-1986. One for the archives!!   Denise  :-[  
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Hi
           I am sptised they are knocking it down I always thought of it as a new School.I worked on some houses behind the oposite side of the road. There was a house there called Tooth Acre and it belong to Mr Payne who was a dentist in Ashton       herby

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Hi Kennetho I had friend from childhood right up to leaving for Aus.He went to Stamford and was member of the Sea Cadets there.He was called Glyn Lomas.I was in the Army Cadets.
Kevin

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19 AM »

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 03:41 PM »
This photo has appeared on the Ashton under Lyne page on Facebook, its been taken from the school Golden Jubilee book and is of a group of boys on the 1971 Pennine walk, they were in my  year, but though I recognise the faces I can't put names to them, Assheton you were in my year, can you name them please.

Vanessa

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08 PM »
Hi Vanessa
sorry Vanessa I am not sure who they are. Is the lad in the middle Brian Wallwork??? Reminds me a bit of him!
The Black Knight rides again!

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Yeah, that's Brian. Its driving me mad as I know the faces.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Was at a meeting yesterday and was told that a application had gone in to demolish Stamford School Fudge