Author Topic: nostalgia  (Read 222677 times)

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: nostalgia
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2011, 01:47 AM »
Tellyphones ?? Newspapers ?? Email ??

I remember trudging seven miles through pouring rain into town to listen to the Town Crier to see what was going on in the world.

Actually, the first bit's a lie. It was always sunny!  ;)
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

Lewy

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 22, 2011, 09:36 AM »
Brilliant list Gargoyle.   Hope I have your permission to add to it.

Friday evenings, after Mum and Dad came home from work, going to the "Chippie" for tea (pay day!!!!) and getting, FREE, a bag of scraps to eat on the way home.

Lewy
you can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2011, 06:14 PM »
That was a staple part of our diet growing up at school , chips & gravy with fishbits, alas elf and saftey stopped that a long time ago  :'(
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 02, 2011, 11:11 PM »
Hi
        At 11-o-clock today your time Ashton and the rest of the country declared war on Germany.               Doesn't seem that long ago does it         herby

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2011, 04:25 AM »
Try pressing the hash key a few times Fudge that's another sure way of getting straight through.
Stella

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Hi Herby - yes, I remember that time well on the Sunday, Sept. 3rd, 1939.  We had already been evacuated to Tintwistle on Friday, Sept. 1st and I listened to the announcement with my new foster parents.   Sometimes it seems as though it was only yesterday and then sometimes I wonder if I was really there but I must have been!  Here's to happy times ahead for everyone.   :) ;D

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 05, 2011, 01:22 AM »
i will drink to that joyce better times ahead cheers kennetho

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Hi Joyce
             Yes I'll go for the happy times ahead and hope to God theres never another one like that at 11-0-clock i was out side Belle vue with my Brother Harold and the lady in the kiosk told us to go home War had been declared and she wouldn't let us in. We had gone there on our roller skates I was eight at the time and my brother was nine.    herby  

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2011, 01:04 AM »
I started my apprenticeship at Ferguson Pailins on Monday 28th August 1939 & the War was declared on the 3rd of September so my Father used to say "I caused it was because I had started work."--Jayess

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2011, 01:16 AM »
1939 ..............  My dad was still in short pants  ::)  ;)
My pet hate is passing. When my time comes, Iím going to die, Iím refuse to ďpassĒ. I want people to say Iím dead. Brown ******* bread. Any ****** that says I passed, Iíll haunt.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 06, 2011, 03:21 AM »
Hi Kiwi
            I'm still in short pants     herby

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 06, 2011, 03:27 AM »
me too for another month i hope kennetho cheers

charter

• View Profile
    • World Charts
« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2011, 07:57 PM »
I remember weapons at our school were pea-shooters
Anyone else remember:
Gobstoppers - Penny specials from the chippy - 6 penneth of chips and asking for scratchings - Chips wrapped in newspaper - Putting your own salt & vinigar on chips - Taking a bowl to the chippy for a mixture - Spangles - Black & Greens tea - Green Shield Stamps - Penny bars of Cadburys chocolate - Kai-lei & spanish - Fry's 5 Boys - Pepsodent toothpaste - Co-op divi - Getting a pop bottle putting in some spanish and filling it with water, giving it a good shake and calling it Spanish Juice - Frozen Jubbly - Basin haircut - Penny Bubblegum machines outside shops - Taking a pop or milk bottle back to the shop to get a penny back - Petrol 4 shillings (20p) a gallon - Camp & Bev liquid coffee in bottles - Nescafe coffee in tins - Buying loose biscuits - Fennings Little Healers - Mothers Pride Bread - Butter & Lard being weighed in the shop and wrapped in greaseproof paper - Omo, Tide, Lux Flakes & Rinso washing powders - Laundrettes - Missing the bus only to see it stopped at traffic lights, running and jumping on the open platform - Bus conductors. Frequent (5 minute) bus services - Limited Stop buses - Glass Marbles - Yo-Yos - Comics (Dandy, Beano, Beezer, Topper, Eagle) - Booths in record shops - Guys cuban heel shoes - Bellbottoms - Kaftans - Long button-down shirt collars - rounded tab shirt collars

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2011, 08:20 PM »
Crisps with blue pkts of salt in, Liquarice twigs, Spanish Gold , And taking jam jars to Maypole for half of a old penny. Happy days. Fudge

Vanessa

« Reply #239 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41 PM »
Anyone know where I can buy a sherbet fountain, you could still get them a couple of years ago, now I can't find them.

Vanessa