Author Topic: nostalgia  (Read 191800 times)

gargoyle

• View Profile
nostalgia
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:02 AM »

----- ] Nostalgia

Remember when:-

All  the girls had ugly gym  slips

It  took five minutes for the TV to warm  up

Nearly  everyone's Mum was at home when the kids got home from  school

Nobody  owned a thoroughbred  dog

You'd  reach into a muddy gutter for a  penny

Your Mother wore nylons that  came in two pieces

All  your male teachers wore ties and female teachers had  their hair done every day and wore high  heels

You  got your windscreen cleaned, oil checked, and petrol served,  without asking, all for free, every time.

It  was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner  at a real restaurant with your  parents

They  threatened to keep children back a year if they failed. . .  And they did it!

When a Ford Zephyr was everyone's dream car...
And people went  steady

No  one ever asked where the car keys were because they were  always in the car, in the ignition, and the doors were never  locked

Spinning  around, getting dizzy, and falling down was cause  for giggles?

Playing cricket  with no adults to help the children with the rules of the  game

Bottles came from the corner shop without safety caps and hermetic seals  because no one had yet tried to poison a perfect  stranger

And with all our progress, don't you wish, just once, you  could slip back in time and savour the slower pace, and share it with the children of  today.

When being sent to the head's study  was nothing compared to the fate that awaited the student at  home

Basically we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and  grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we survived  because their love was greater than the  threat.
As well as summers filled with bike rides, cricket, Hula Hoops, skate hockey and visits to the pool, and eating  lemonade powder or liquorice sticks.
Didn't  that feel good, just to go back and say, 'Yes, I remember  that'?

Can you  still remember the Lone Ranger and Sgt Bilko or Roy Rogers and Dale Evans

How  Many Of These Do You  Remember?

Coca Cola  in bottles.

Blackjacks  and bubblegums.

Home  milk delivery in glass bottles with tinfoil tops.

Hi-Fi's  & 45 RPM  records. Not surround sound 5.1.

78  RPM records!

Adding Machines.

Scalextric.

Do  You  Remember a Time  When..

Decisions  were made by  going 'eeny-meeny- miney-moe' ?

'Race  issue' meant arguing  about who ran the fastest?

Catching tiddlers  could happily occupy an entire  day?

It  wasn't odd to have two or  three 'Best  Friends'?

The  worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex  was'chickenpox' ?

Having  a Weapon in School meant being caught with a  catapault?

War  was a card game?

Cigarette cards  in the spokes transformed any bike into a  motorcycle?

Taking  drugs meant orange - flavoured chewable  aspirin?

Water  balloons were the ultimate  weapon?

If  you can remember most or all of these, Then You Have  Lived!!!!!!!  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.85/2193 - Release Date: 06/21/09 20:02:00

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Yes Gargoyle I remember all them what fun we had we always seemed to be laughting not like Robots stuck in a world of X boxes, Whee, Play stations, and Intendo's . Glad to have lived those happy carefree days when bread was bread and butter was butter the real thing . Fudge

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 02:09 PM »
yes no time to get bored not many fat kids around in those days it makes one think ?? cheers  kennyo

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Wow I'm 46 and remember most of them. I still recal joining the Caravan Club in the late 80's,and thinking that was just like my childhood was in hadfield,no locked doors and everyone knew everyone.
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Albert

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:08 PM »
chrisand angie  In the old days to join the Caravan Club you had to be
recomended by another member and the club did not advertise for members
  Albert  No 00066xxx Caravan Club

gina44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:01 PM »
I remember playing rally ho, and the biggest crime we committed was apple nicking  :o

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Hi
         Anybody remember when nobody in your street had a car, no tv, accumalttor radios if you were one of the lucky ones free clogs and meals from the canteen horres and carts with free fertilizer in the street Halfpenny bags of toffees The penny quarter shop on Stamford st and Woolworths with nothing over sixpence. all the men out of work standing on the street cornersno work.Those were the days my friends.     herby

Vanessa

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:36 PM »
Hop scotch and skipping with one end of the rope tied to the lampost, you don't see kids doing that now. Anyone remember American skipping with elastic bands tied together in a loop. Clapping songs "3,6,9 the goose drank wine, the monkey chewed tobacco on the street car line, the line broke, the monkey got choked and they all went to heaven on a little row boat" or something like that. We had lots of rhymes to sing while we clapped each other hands. We always seemed to be laughing then, its a long time since I've heard kids really laugh, you know the type, a real belly laugh where you nearly pass out because you can't take a breath.

Vanessa

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 09:46 PM »
we used to get two peneth of broken bits from leeses ?? bakeshop a big bagfull oh boy happy days kennyo

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 10:47 PM »
HI   Nice to bring back the past, Do you remmember when your shoes or boots  were worn ,they went to the coblers and were made into glogs,then you would start makeing sparkes by kicking the floor with the sole of your glogs ,till your irons came off, Yes those were the GOOD old days.we used to go to the church on sunday with glogs on,
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT

Albert

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 07:01 PM »
  Hi Kennyo would that be A Lees on Queens rd I passed today
 and its For sale or To let.I worked there on Saturdays on the vans
 Albert   

kennyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:47 PM »
yes thats the one on queens rd.its still there is it then next to it  was the bowling green across was the libral  club we lived on hope street witch are now flats they tell me. we had lots of fun in those days before the war. cheers kennyo

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 04:37 AM »
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Yes i remember it well!!We used to play the game with elastic around our ankles , do you remember we used to have "seasons ' for games in the playground ? Suddenly all the lads would be playing cricket and the girls would be skipping , then by some unknown law the games would change suddenly and the boys would have conkers and the girls would be playing 2 balls on the walls?
 On a Tuesday morning everyone would have their free gift fom Beano or Dandy at schol , I remember the cracker , which was a piece of folded cardboard which made a cracking sound .
No wonder we had toothache in those days what with all the stuff we used to eat , and really cheap ...how many of you were off school with gum boils ?    "if a gum boil could boil oil , how much oil could a gum boil boil ?"     
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

hoggyman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 07:47 PM »
HI Those were the days when we used to spend hours playing merps.and also we would go raiding orchards, and if you the caught you would get a good hiding,and you still went a few days after,these days its wrong to hit you,  
HELLO EVERYBODY ENJOY YOUR SELF,WHY NOT