Author Topic: Whatever happened to?  (Read 25605 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Thanks for that reminder of his talent, Bill. It certainly was effortless. The mood change at 1.29 and 3.47 was worth waiting for.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:30 AM »
Here's another one for you. If, like me, you spent a lot of your childhood and youth (let's say in the 40s and 50s) at the local cinema, then no doubt you had your particular favourites. Some you just couldn't avoid - acts like Abbott and Costello, The Three Stooges, Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) etc. appeared to be on the silver screen every week. A "lesser" act that I always enjoyed was any film from The Dead End Kids, The Little Tough Guys, The East Side Kids or The Bowery Boys. The main two actors, as I recall, were Leo Gorcey, mainly playing the fast talking leader of the gang and Huntz Hall, the dopey one who just seemed to tag along. The others were the good looking boys who, no doubt, all the girls drooled over. Between the thirties and the fifties they featured in dozens of grainy black and white cinema films or TV series which kept generations of youngsters (and no doubt their parents) entertained as we ran around with them and got up to mischief in the grimey backstreets of old New York. Where are they now? Sadly, but perhaps inevitably, all departed.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Who was Alfalfa?

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09 PM »
Who was Alfalfa?

I think he belonged to the Our Gang/Little Rascals film series. He was the slim, goofy kid with freckles and slicked down hair. Whereas the Bowery Boys etc. were the rough, tough inner city kids, prepared to get in a scrape if they could benefit from it, the lot that Alfalfa belonged to were a bit more "wholesome", mid-west, small town American kids who were total innocents by comparison. I must admit, I'd completely forgotten about him until you brought up his name, Bill.

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 03:22 AM »
i yhink we got our moneys worth at the flicks in our younger days. thats for sure .. cheers kennetho

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 01:16 PM »
Lots of related clips on YouTube, Our Gang etc.    Far toooo early for me, but what cute kids they all were.   Denise

Just for you, Bill & Too shy - Enjoy!!

You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 07:34 PM »
Thanks, Denise. Cute little fella, wasn't he? In real life (Carl Dean Switzer) he came to an unfortunate end when he was shot and killed, supposedly in self-defence, in an argument over a dog training business arrangement that he had been part of. He was only 31. His younger brother, Harold, who had also been in films as a child, committed suicide at only 42 having earlier killed one of his business customers. Child film stars? It seems a dangerous trade for sure.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12 AM »
Here's a couple more for you. Whatever happened to Terence Stamp and David Hemmings? We all remember that they were household names in the sixties when they were both regularly on our cinema screens but I can't remember anything about them in recent times (although, I must admit, I am no longer a great cinemagoer and can probably count my visits to the cinema in the last decade on the fingers of one hand). I can recall Terence Stamp as the cool, somewhat heartless Sergeant York in "Far From The Madding Crowd" in about 1966 and that's about it. Was David Hemmings the male lead in "Barbarella"? Other than that I can't come up with any film titles for him. This just goes to show how the memory can be a great thing but it can also let you down from time to time.

Bonus track...whatever happened to Ray Brooks who starred in another 1960s film that you may recall, ""The Knack - and how to get it"?

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17 AM »
David Hemmings died in 2003.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Here's a couple more for you. Whatever happened to Terence Stamp and David Hemmings? We all remember that they were household names in the sixties when they were both regularly on our cinema screens but I can't remember anything about them in recent times (although, I must admit, I am no longer a great cinemagoer and can probably count my visits to the cinema in the last decade on the fingers of one hand). I can recall Terence Stamp as the cool, somewhat heartless Sergeant York in "Far From The Madding Crowd" in about 1966 and that's about it. Was David Hemmings the male lead in "Barbarella"? Other than that I can't come up with any film titles for him. This just goes to show how the memory can be a great thing but it can also let you down from time to time.

Bonus track...whatever happened to Ray Brooks who starred in another 1960s film that you may recall, ""The Knack - and how to get it"?

Here's his latest filmography

The Black Marks (post-production)   - 2013

2012 One Square Mile: London (short)  - 2012
Clarence (voice)

2012 Unfinished Song  - 2012
Arthur

2003-2011 Smallville (TV series) - 2003 - 2011
Jor -El

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Thanks to Son of Nomad and Ashtonian 54 for a bit of background. Poor old David, now no longer with us - I still can't recall any of his film titles. Similarly, Terence - although his performance in "Far From The Madding Crowd" sits vividly in my memory. All three of them (including Ray Brooks) were part of that whole explosion of British music, film, art, fashion and culture generally that we were bombarded with in the Sixties when everything seemed to be centred on Carnaby Street, Chelsea, the Kings Road and anything to do with the Tower, Big Ben, black London taxies and red London buses. In respect of film actors, I suppose many of them are still around but in slightly diferent capacities, producers, directors, writers, agents etc. So the fact that we don't see them on our screens anymore doesn't necessarily mean they've gone for good.

PS "Barbarella" was a strange film wasn't it?

Ashtonian54

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:59 PM »
I loved him in "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" 1994

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 11:57 AM »
I think David Hemmings is best remembered for playing the lead in the 1966 film 'Blow Up' where he plays a 'mod' photographer in a rather convoluted plot. It's very 1960s 'swinging London' and something of a cult film now.

Going back to the earlier mention of 'Alfalfa' which I've just seen, I'm only aware of the 'Our Gang' series because I saw it shown on television in the early 1950s shortly after my parents bought a tv set. When my son (now aged 26) was a little boy he would often have a spike of hair sticking up from the crown of his head and I would call it his 'alfalfa'. So he has grown up thinking a sticking-up bit of hair is an 'alfalfa'.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Does anyone remember a female musical performer (from the sixties?) called Blossom Deary? I recall her being a jazz singer/pianist who recorded a song called "Sweet Georgie Fame" which she dedicated to the R&B performer of the same name. Why do we walk around with such junk in our heads? The worrying thing for me is that there's more where that came from.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58 AM »
I remember the name (how could you forget it!) only because in the 1960s I owned a reel-to-reel tape recorder and recorded a lot of songs direct from the radio and I happened to record one of her songs. I can't recall the title but I must have like it because I kept it but can't play it now. I believe she was quite quirky and died in 2009 aged 84.