Author Topic: Whatever happened to?  (Read 25627 times)

Too shy

• View Profile
Whatever happened to?
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:51 AM »
If, like me, you've reached a certain age, where you regularly ponder on things from years back, no doubt you've also got round to asking yourself, "I wonder what happened to suchabody?" You give it a bit more thought and you can't recall the last time you saw them on the tele or heard them being interviewed on the radio. When my late father was alive, I could engage him in this kind of debate and we had great fun pondering on whether they were even dead or alive. Often, someone we thought was long gone was alive and well and doing a summer season in somewhere like Minehead or Scarborough and others would pop up in panto in somewhere like Aylesbury or Oxford. I'll pose you the question, whatever happened to Millicent Martin?

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Whatever happened to?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 12:18 PM »
"Millicent Martin was married to the pop singer Ronnie Carroll from 1958 until 1965, and subsequently to the actor Norman Eshley, but both marriages ended in divorce. She has been married to an American, Marc Alexander, since 1978, and is now a permanent resident of the United States."

"Her later television roles include Gertrude Moon, Daphne Moon's Mancunian mother, in the American sit-com Frasier."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millicent_Martin
Martin

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Thanks, Martin. I know that, in the computer age, we have instant access to sites like Wikipedia which, hopefully, should be able to put our minds at rest that "suchabody" is alive and kicking. However, I think we still wrestle with those imponderables like, "Why isn't he on the tele anymore? Does she still have a recording career? Are those two still married? On the subject of Wikipedia, I recall a pop star (1960s I think) talking on the radio. He said that he realised that he had a Wikipedia entry but that some of the details were incorrect. He set about correcting the details but the next day "whoever" had altered his "corrections" back to being incorrect. He banged away for a few day, correcting the other persons incorrections but the other person always came back with incorrect details so, in the end, he gave it up as a bad job. He realised that he had very little option but to see his own Wikipedia entry with some details that were totally inaccurate.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Each Wikipedia entry has a discussion page where contributors can discuss the rights and wrongs of what is written. I wonder whether the star in question joined this discussion and pointed out the reason why he had made the changes.

Wikipedia has a system for resolving disputes when no agreement can be reached: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Dispute_resolution
Martin

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:22 PM »
He didn't elaborate on his efforts, Martin. No doubt he was too focused on keeping an eye on his financial investments tucked away in Geneva or Monaco or some such haven of respectability.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04 AM »
That's the problem with WP
That's why I stick to  the EB

Ian

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 09:10 AM »

Are you sure it isn't because you've got marmalade on the covers?
Martin

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:21 PM »
That's the problem with WP

Ian

Pardon my ignorance, Ashtonian, but what exactly is the EB?

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 02:55 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, Ashtonian, but what exactly is the EB?
"Ditto"?

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Encyclopaedia Britannica?
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Encyclopedia Britannica?

That's right Gay

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Here's another one for you although, admittedly, you will probably have to be of a certain vintage (just like me) to relate to it. Does anyone out there remember Vick Flick and also, Big Jim Sullivan? Both were exceptional electric guitarists and both were there at the birth of British rock n'roll in the late fifties and early sixties. You rarely, if ever, hear any mention of either of them now but, from the brief enquiries I have made, they're both still involved in the business if only on the fringes. Vick Flick can perhaps best be remembered for being John Barry's lead guitarist which placed him ideally to be the man who played that resonant guitar piece in the James Bond Theme. A rather big man (hence the title), the usually long haired, moustachioed Big Jim Sullivan could often be seen on our televisions backing solo artists like Tom Jones but his major work was clearly in the recording studio. His achievements speak for themselves and the figures are totally amazing - he played on something like thirty number ones and featured on over one thousand hit singles - often doing the business in the recording studio for a guitarist from a top group who just couldn't get the fingering right.

As Duane Eddy would say,"The Twang's the Thang."

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Hello Too shy.

Sadly, one's no longer with us.

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Well spotted, Bill. Apparently, Big Jim died on Tuesday, just three days ago. One more for the heavenly orchestra.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 11:22 PM »