Author Topic: Waterloo Co-op Employees  (Read 14618 times)

palmygirl

• View Profile
Waterloo Co-op Employees
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:15 PM »
Hi
I am new to this forum - joined up as my Grandad came from Littlemoss.
I have found what was the Co-op building on Oldham Rd thanks to Meg's list; now wanting to find out if there are any relatives around of the folk he worked with....

Grandad was Ernest Bell, employed as a Grocer's assistant from 1920 to 1926 when he emigrated to New Zealand aged 20. The manager at the time was Frank Taylor (married to Edith), and another assistant was Frank Mottram (married Annie). Frank & Annie Mottram kept in touch with Ernest until at least 1976.

Cheers, Sharee in NZ

Owdab

• View Profile
Re: Waterloo Co-op Employees
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I should have read your Friends from Littlemoss first!  At least we are talking about the same Edith and Frank Taylor.
Neill

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 03:32 PM »
Hi Owdab I have done quite a few ways to come up with a Gordon Taylor mother Maiden name Buckley and there is only one boy for 1923 born Ashton and his name was Frank Gordon Buckley I bet he his yours and he used Gordon as his name. Fudge

Owdab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Hi Fudge
I should be aware of folk using their second name, I'm one of them.
Thanks so much, a puzzle solved.  I suppose as dad was Frank it would have been a bit confusing.
Neill

Owdab

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Here is the photo of the Waterloo Coop on Oldham Road with, as far as we know, Manager Frank Taylor (in the middle?), Frank Mottram and Ernest Bell (Sharee's Grandad on the left).

It sounds like Meg knows exactly where this is (or was). I'd love to know.  There is a similar photograph on the Tameside Archive site but it doesn't look exactly the same - reference t09187

Neill

palmygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:40 AM »
The Co-op is on the corner of Oldhm Road and Store St; now painted white and used as a car accessories store with a Karate place above it! This has been confirmed by Archives, andI have a letter from the Co-op giving the Oldham Rd address.

They used to take up all 3 premises on the block with a grocer, butcher and clothing department.

Correction to names in photo - Ernest Bell is not in the picture - I presume he took it - and I am only guessing that one of the lads is Frank Mottram, as I do know he worked there. Other possibilities for these lads would be Frank Allen or David Loyd.

I have written to Archives about the photo Owdab referred to as is definitely isn't the same place.

Sharee

Owdab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I wonder if Frank and Annie Mottram are any relation to George Mottram, Ashton Cricket Club's Honorary Life Member? 

I remember watching George, Tim Wood, Peter Stansfield, Reg Scarlett, Brian Priestley and the rest in the 1960's down at Reyner Lane.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Waterloo Co-op used to be, as PalmyGirl says. on the corner of Store St and Oldham Road. I used to be sent there to shop for my Mum as we lived on Beech Mount, top of Store Street.
From the Store Street end it was the grocery dept, next was the Drapery and at the end (next to the pens (allotments) was the butcher's. I remember it from the mid-50s and I'm pretty sure it was still open until about 1968 although the Drapery bit might have closed by then. That shop is now the Post Office cum convenience store. Norman Buckley who was our neighbour worked in the Butcher's.
We collected the " divi stamps" - it was my job to stick them in the little book and then you'd claim back your dividend eventually.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

palmygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:42 PM »
Apparently the Waterloo Co-op had 5 branches (according to Archives).

The photo I posted, if you look closely, above the door it says No. 1 Branch and apparently this was the "Head Office". I have no idea where the other branches were though.

Bardsleycrow

• Me with a well-known statesman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Palmy Girl. There where two branches I knew of.One in Bardsley in between what was Bardsley Shool and The Halfway House pub another in Hathershaw facing the where the bus's turned round.
Kevin

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Was the Co-op on the corner of Atlas Street part of the Waterloo Co-op?
Martin

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Could have been. Martin but I somehow feel the "unofficial boundary" of Waterloo was Wilshaw Lane but stand to be corrected.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02 PM »
I'll just jump in quickly.  I got stopped yesterday by someone asking where Waterloo Park is.

I hadn't a clue - never heard of it - but apparently it's on Store Street.

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Yes it's behind the former Co-op, you can see it on my video.
Talking of video's, I got a windscreen mount for my video camera and tried it out today by driving through Waterloo up to Bardsley and back, I haven't had a chance to edit and upload yet. but will as soon as I can.

Vanessa

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49 PM »
First time I've ever heard of it being called Waterloo Park, Bill. When I was a young wench it was just all fields belonging to the farm at the back of Wilshaw Grove (where Downshaw Rd ends in a cul-de-sac). Used to muck out the horses at the farm in return for a free bareback ride! The farmer collected pigswill which everyone used to have in a bin in their back garden- vegetable peelings etc. and he also sold eggs door-to-door.
Then they built Yew Tree Close (where my parents moved to) and the park was created (Bowling Green) and playground equipment - early 70s
?