Author Topic: Margaret Broughton  (Read 4669 times)

margaretmakinson

• View Profile
Margaret Broughton
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:07 AM »
I attended Christ Church Junior School from 1951 until 1958.  My name was Broughton.  I remember my best friend Gail Parker she moved to Australia.  My other memories were of Roy Bradburn, Roger Hodgkinson, Alan Jamieson - then there were the people I cannot remember their second names - Jennifer (mother Diane), Minnie, Gordon, and Eric.  Other people I remember were the Pott's from the local butchers in Waterloo (my uncle Jim worked for them for a while), Alethia Rothwell, Kathleen Cook (who i think you have already mentioned previously).  I also remember a good friend Josie Gorman (and her family) Linda Zak, Pauline Zak, Nicholas Stzenko, Mararet Kay (whose mum Mary Kay was a guiding light in the lives of people from Christ Church Sunday School).  I attended Mossley Road School for Girls where my friends were Vivienne Hall,  Carol Bradburn,Carol Hall, Susan Owen and Susan Burgess.  From there I went to Beaufort Road (?} college.  I helped Jean who was disabled.  I am retiring soon and I work with disabled young people - does anyone remember me?  Thanks

Lynn56

• View Profile
Re: Margaret Broughton
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21 PM »
I'm sorry I don't know you , but Alan Jamieson is my sister in laws brother.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Hi Margaret
Welcome to the discussion board. I sent you a private message as I was sure I recognised your name. However, there are several names in your message above that I recognise... Carol Hall was my best friend at Waterloo Council school, then when I went to the Grammar in 1958 we lost touch. Have you any idea where Carol is now. I also remember Minnie ?  She lived on Downshaw Rd. Nicholas Stzenko also rings bells. Alethia Rothwell was my friend at Elgin St school. She had an older sister Anthea? And they lived on Oldham rd almost opposite the Atlas Mill.
Meg
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

margaretmakinson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27 PM »
To Meg: The Minnie you refer to was the right one.  Her dad took over the Co-op on Taunton Road and sold all kinds of stuff.  I don't know what happened to Carol Hall.  I used to go to youth club at christ church school.  Nicholas Stzensko (not sure the spelling is correct) lived opposite the Dog & Partridge in a row of buildings, long since gone. 

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Minnie's surname came to me in the middles of the night...Marsden. My brothers used to call her Minnie Mouse. WOuld you remembers the Shevlin children off Downshaw Rd? I think they went to Christchurch.

margaretmakinson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Thanks Meg.  I must know you although the your name didn't ring a bell.  I was born in 1947.  I knew the Shevlins very well.  There were two families of Shevlins at Christ Church.  One was a smaller family with two sons (I think}.  Michael Peter Shevlin was in my year at school and he had a much younger brother.  Their mum used to come to the Sunday School.  Then there was a much larger family of Shevlins - the girls I knew were Margaret (older than me) and Moira (a little younger than me).  I saw the picture posted of Christ Church School and I think Paul Shevlin was related to one of those two families.  Mr. Bagnall (Headteacher) arrived at the school just before I left (again I think) and Mr. Turner was there for a long time.  Before Mr. Bagnall it was Mr. Pidcock.  Thanks for Minnie's name - I also knew her as Minnie Mouse.  You said you sent me a personal message.  Not sure how to pick that up as I am not very used to using messaging - until now I was a messaging virgin - so I would like to thank you all for pushing me into the 21st Century.  My mum worked at the Rock Mill as did my uncle Jim Ryan.  Thanks once again for your messages.

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Hi margaret, think you just have to go on my messages to see your private message

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:34 PM »
Once you have logged in, look along the line starting with HOME and you'll see 'my messages'. Clic k on that to see private messages
[