Author Topic: whit walks  (Read 19857 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
Re: whit walks
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10 PM »
Nothing like fairy cakes, think of a very soft drop scone but more spongy, oval in shape, about an inch thick, a good 4 inches long, a small hollow filled with jam, the bun is lightly glazed. Now I'm really desperate to have one  :(

Vanessa

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00 AM »
Nothing like fairy cakes, think of a very soft drop scone but more spongy, oval in shape, about an inch thick, a good 4 inches long, a small hollow filled with jam, the bun is lightly glazed. Now I'm really desperate to have one  :(

Vanessa

I think Vanessa's description just reinforces the fact that we all see things rather differently. I would have described a bun as the kind of eatable that mum always used to make in a (paper?) bun case (don't the Americans call them cup cakes?). Not too big, although big enough to go into your gob in one go when you were swigging it down with a small (school size) bottle of milk at Crescent Road Congs, Dukinfield after a typical Whit Friday.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 01:53 AM »

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15 AM »
 ;D There you go Vanessa!, both Bill And Ashtonian have got it right. Could practically reach out and eat one!!! Hope you enjoy baking them, I am going to put a batch in now! :D

The Americans MUFFIN appears to have stole the name of our English BUNS. We were brought up on BUNS, Fairy Buns, Vanilla Buns, Currant Buns  - Fat Cake and Eccles Cakes.  Here in Oz, everything is now a MUFFIN. I love to be difficult and ask for a BUN!!!!!

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 11:52 AM »
OOH!  Fatcake....using up last little bits of pastry after making batch of pies, you fold the pastry over a filling of raisins, or sultanas, roll it out fairly thickly and bake.  Yum!!!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 12:09 PM »
OOH!  Fatcake....using up last little bits of pastry after making batch of pies, you fold the pastry over a filling of raisins, or sultanas, roll it out fairly thickly and bake.  Yum!!!

Mum used to always make fatcake. Now, that's the stuff to give the troops!!

While we're at it, anyone for drippin' on toast?

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 06:47 PM »
"Drippin' on Toast"...now that's what I call a real treat, and especially if you can get some of the lovely dark brown jelly in with it too!   ;D ;D

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 08:29 AM »

I thought this photo might amuse you.  I'm walking on Trinity Sunday, mid 1950's, when this picture was taken but look at what the photographer has done.  I'm walking on a cobble street but with a huge hand painted garden in the background.  Even my hair, the trimmings on my dress and the flowers I'm holding have been hand coloured.  I'm probably walking down Katherine Street or Stamford Street.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Gorgeous photo. Jules. Which church di you walk with? My guess is one of the RC churches . I used to envy my friends who went to St Mary 's . They looked lovely all dressed in white.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Jules its a lovely picture , I remember you had very fair hair , I remember seeing a pic of my dad when he was about 6yrs old on the walks , that must have been in 1920, I dont remember where I saw it , most probably at my granmas  , long gone , but I remember he had a big smile and was looking directly at the camera !!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 02:39 PM »
Thank you, Meg and Pamela, for your kind words.  I walked for St. Ann's when we lived in Buttermere Road and then for St. Christopher's when we moved up to Broadoak Road. 

Here are three more photos I've found.

The first of of of St Ann's May Queen and her retinue circa 1918.  My Uncle Bob is one of the page boy on the left.

The second is St. Ann's Queen with her Maids of Honor taken about 1948.  My eldest sister, Linda, is third from the right, looking very sweet.

The third is of the young men and Children of Mary with the statue of Mary, late 1950.  Again, my sister Linda is right behind the girl in the front.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Lovely old photos!!   Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 03:45 PM »
I love these  ;D

Vanessa

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Thank you for sharing Jules, such wonderful memories you must have in these photogoraphs.

Stanny47

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2015, 01:35 AM »
Thank you, Meg and Pamela, for your kind words.  I walked for St. Ann's when we lived in Buttermere Road and then for St. Christopher's when we moved up to Broadoak Road. 

Here are three more photos I've found.

The first of of of St Ann's May Queen and her retinue circa 1918.  My Uncle Bob is one of the page boy on the left.

The second is St. Ann's Queen with her Maids of Honor taken about 1948.  My eldest sister, Linda, is third from the right, looking very sweet.

The third is of the young men and Children of Mary with the statue of Mary, late 1950.  Again, my sister Linda is right behind the girl in the front.

St Anns Queen in the 2nd photo taken in 1948 is my sister Joan Stanfield