Author Topic: whit walks  (Read 19828 times)

Vanessa

• View Profile
Re: whit walks
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Went down to watch the Whit walks, now known as The Annual United Procession of the Churches of Ashton under Lyne. I did a bit of filming as I usually do, one question, should I name the film "Whit Walks" or "The Annual United Procession of the Churches of Ashton under Lyne", I will go with the majority vote.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Well After a dull start to the day as the walks left the car park the sun came out. The wals seem to get smaller each year.
1 St James
2 Carlestown
3 Albion U R C  Behind them was a small group of Hurst Churches
4 St Gabriel's
5 St Michael's with Gospel Church
6 St Peter's
7 Christ Church Canon Johnson's
8 Christ Church Canon Burrows with Waterloo Methodist behind
There were some lovely Queens with there Retinue's and some pretty dresses
But there were lots walking in casual clothes.
The bands were in full form playing a mixture of tunes.
This years hymns were All people that on earth do dwell.
I like to build the world a home
and Your hands O God, have guided
Guest Rt Hon. D.Heyes, MP and Mrs Heynes.
Mayor of Tameside, Councillor Brenda Warrington and Graham Warrington Consort
The Service ended with God Save The Queen.
They then moved of to walk down Stamford St not many watching along the way.
Martin was out with his Camera and it looks like Vanesa as had her Camera out looking forward to phote's Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Went down to watch the Whit walks, now known as The Annual United Procession of the Churches of Ashton under Lyne. I did a bit of filming as I usually do, one question, should I name the film "Whit Walks" or "The Annual United Procession of the Churches of Ashton under Lyne", I will go with the majority vote. Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,  I'm all for 'Ashton Whit Walks 2012'. If someone's searching YouTube, easier to locate than 'The Annual United Procession' etc...   Looking forward to your video as always.  I walked on the banner at Ashton Parish Church each year until I was 18.  Denise.   :)

You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Thanks for update on the Whit Walks, Fudge.
Vanessa- Whit Walks, Ashton Under Lyne would get most hits on Youtube I should think.
Looking forward to the photos/video
Used to walk every Whit Friday with waterloo Methodists.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Martin

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 11:52 PM »
Here's the video

http://youtu.be/TzTF527rSwI

Vanessa

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 05:54 AM »
Hi Fudge,

Many thanks for your program. I always walked with Hurst Nook, don't know if they walked this year? Started on the Ropes in the Primary Section going onto the Basket and various other things over theyears. Later onto the Big Banner. Remember all the boys and men who used to struggle most years with the banners pulling everyone everywhich way. Walked up Nook Lane, Hurst Cross to the Cedar Park Spare ground where everyone gathered. Next down Queens Road and into the Infirmary Grounds. Another service took place there. After that, down Mossley Road, Along Curzon Road and back up Kings Road, how many little girls had heel blisters with their new white shoes rubbing after such a long walk. We all thoroughly enjoyed it though, long white dresses and flowers of every description. All the flowers used to be delivered to Hurst Nook Sunday School before the walk so that we were all regimentally sorted out with the same varieties. At the end of the Walks, we would go back to Hurst Nook Sunday School and have Raspberry Buns and either milk or Creaming Soda (What a treat) All this occured on White Fridays. On the Sunday the Catholic Churches walked and we would all turn out to watch them, run into the walks and give three penny bits or sixpences. It is one of the fondest memories I have of my growing up. Its a shame they should want to change its name. At least some people still turn out even though not in such  profusion as used to be. Thank you all again for the Videos and Photographs.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 09:06 AM »
Hi Danny Hurst have had no walks for the last few year. But as you see there is a Hurst of mixed Churches behind Albion. I Know quite a few from Hurst Nook and Hurst Methodist were walking and I also think some of St Johns were with them. I just hope they don't stop in Ashton. Fudge

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Fudge, do you know Alice Kane, she lives just down the road from me and went to Gatefield School with my mum, I can see her on the video at the front of Christ Church. I know her late husband was the Christ Church organist.

Vanessa

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Yes I know Alice Sheila and Phil pick her up every Thursday for choir practice. I see her on Wednesday sometimes shopping in Marks. Fudge

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Good to see the whit walks in Vanessa's video. The bands brought a tear to my eye. Of course, the procession is so much smaller than it used to be. Waterloo Methodist always walked on Whit Friday morning. I started off in the Beginners class of the Sunday school, holding on to he ropes, then moved up to primary and junior classes, holding a ribbon on the various floats which had passages from the Bible on them. Finally, as a teenager holding a ribbon on the 'big' banner. The men had to be strong to hold the banner as it was so often windy. I have some old cine film ( now on DVD) of the Whit WAlks in Waterloo in the 60s. We used to meet up with Oaken Clough Wesleyans by the top 'Dog', then back down Oldham road to Kelvin Ave, along Taunton rd, meeting Taunton Methodists at the War Memorial. In the film, my brother, who was in the Boys Brigade, lays a wreath. I have many fond memories of those times...one of the highlights of my year as a child. Strange how we all had raspberry buns at the end!! Sme bakery in Ashton must have churned them out specially!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Dare I ask what a raspberry bun is?
Martin

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48 PM »
You don't know what a raspberry bun is  :o. Hard to described, soft, moist and spongey, a bit on the flat side, they had a hollow in the top where there was a blob of raspberry jam, jummy. Does anyone know where you can buy them now, I've been looking for ages.

Vanessa

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55 PM »

Martin, I think you're having us on. It could only be a bun with raspberry jam in the middle. Now, don't tell us you've never had one. Be warned, if you do say that you've never had one, you'll be sent boxes and boxes of them for weeks to come.

PS Buns are, seemingly, becoming things of the past. Due to the American influence on British culture, some bakery firms are now calling them muffins and buns have become men's bottoms. What kind of a world are we living in?

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01 PM »

Martin, I think you're having us on.

Don't forget that I'm a comer-in, so I wasn't brought up on whit walks and raspberry buns! Are they like fairy cakes?
Martin