Author Topic: whit walks  (Read 19827 times)

Jules2

• View Profile
Re: whit walks
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:27 PM »

As a child, I walked on Trinity Sunday for St. Ann's and, then when we moved and changed parishes, for St. Christopher's.  I loved the brass bands and getting dressed up in white.  I remember the Benediction Services held after the walks when we would all give a very hearty rendition of the hymn 'Faith of Our Father's'.  It is still one of my favourite hymns.
The photo is of me (on the far left) circa 1960, holding one of the ribbons on St. Christopher's banner, walking down Stamford Street.  I think 'The Reporter' used to take lots of photos which you could purchase from them.  They used to display them in glass boxes outside their offices and it was great fun to see if you were in any of them each year.  I also recall 'The Reporter' would have a couple of pages full of pictures too.

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:41 PM »

Does this bring back any memories for you Pamela?  St. Christopher's May Queen 1960/61?  I can't remember which year.  My brother is carrying the cushion.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 06:17 PM »
Jules yes that brings back memories , one of the train bearers looks like a boy in my class at St Mary's called Stephen Drath , I could be wrong , I might have been one of the girls behind the queen , I had very blond hair tied back in a ribbon . Funnily enough after reading about the Whit walks the hymn "Faith of our Fathers" had been buzzing around in my head today !!That hymn scared me to death  and it still does , the image of these poor people suffering "Our fathers chained in prisons dark were still in heart and consious free, how sweet would be our fate if we could die for thee!! " tell me that doesn't bring up images of poor people who were tortured and killed in the middle ages , just for being Catholic
   . But it certainly was a very good show , one of the ladies here on the board's father was a standard bearer , they had to be strong didn't they , they had leather belt with a pocket at the front where the pole was held, what is your brother's name ?
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 09:29 PM »
I remember Father Kelly walking with St Christopher's, a jolly chap.
The Black Knight rides again!

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04 AM »

Father Kelly, photo taken July 1961.  I don't remember him very well but at least I wasn't frightened of him!  I remember that he used to own a Boxer dog.  Yes, Pamela, it is one of the Drath boys, I was in a class with his older brother at St. Mary's.  My brother's name is Charles (hi Charles if you're reading this) you remember him going to Australia and writing back about cooking an egg on the  hot concrete.  I agree, the words of the hymn are quite horrific when just read.  I probably didn't take too much notice of them as a child and just enjoyed the singing.  I'll probably have the tune in my head all day now!

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Nice to see a picture of Fr Kelly and wearing a biretta too! Those were the days!!!!

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 12:44 PM »
RIP father Kelly , the pic must have been taken in the garden outside his house beneath the church, I recall it was a very modern style house and so was St Christophers in those days .Remember his tupee? His hair in younger days must have been ginger , and the tuppee was ginger with wisps of grey hair underneath.
    Yes Jules I know you now!!! A very good picture of Charles , lovely wavy blond hair, as I remember him . Do you remember Father Kelly blessing cars etc ?My brother took his bike to be blessed and I took my scooter !!!!
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

wombat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23 PM »
Jules / Pamela

Those pictures take me back. At about the same time I was the cushion bearer at the St Mary's procession. The young lady who was the May Queen that year was the (delightful) Susan Ridgeway.

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Wombat , I had a friend called Susan Ridgeway , she was a year younger than me, we both went to St Mary's school and I used to go to her house for lunch cos I wouldn't stay for school dinners . She lived with her granma and dad on Conway crescent , near Oakfold. She was a very pretty petite girl with dark curly hair , is that the same girl ??

Ashtonian54

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 12:03 AM »
Ours was Father Elliot.
I remember the double pages of pictures in the Reporter.

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35 AM »
Hi Pamela
                   That would be my Cousin Annies daughter My Aunty (My Fathers Sister)she would be Susans Grandma used to live in Connery Crescent. she used to live in Tatton St. I also remember Father Kelly with the red head he used to come to our house when he was at St Marys's telling us we should go to St Marys for mass as we lived in St Mary's parish.I went to St Anns school and got the cane if we didn't go to mass there    herby 

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 06:28 AM »
Hi Herby , I heard this story while working at Ashton General ... Father Kelly was around seeing the patients and stopped a doctor who was Indian , and asks him what religion he was , the doc says "I,m Parci"  so Father Kelly says(thinking he said RC)" why haven,t you been to church , I expect to see you next Sunday !"poor guy was too embarassed to say anything ..

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Hope the weather is nice on Sunday for the walks Charlestown is Celebrating 150 years this July and are having a banner made special for the walks, I also know people in Canon Johnson and Canon Burrows Rose Queen Retinues. Will give a full account on Sunday  weather permitting Fudge

Assheton

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 07:21 PM »
I hope the weather is good for you Fudge. Dry and bright would be nice with not too much breeze for the big banners. I hope you will give us your usual report on the walks!! Best of luck to the walkers!

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Hi Pamela
                   Sorry Susan was my cousin Johns daughter not Annies she lived with my uncle Charlie and aunty Sissy on Connery Cresent when John got divorced. Blame it on old age it's been a while since last time I saw any of them.          herby