Author Topic: Tameside Theatre  (Read 79039 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Tameside Theatre
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Hi was talking to someone from the history forum this week and at long last The Theatre as been purchased now the job of getting it up and running begins good luck to all those involved Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Whilst this is very good news and well done to all those behind it, it's sad to have to remind people that the nearby "pay and display" car park (with a capacity of about a hundred vehicles) appears to have been sold off and is currently being built on. Seems very short-sighted of a council which has always prided itself on encouraging and supporting the best in arts and entertainment.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I believe that the Precinct car park has said people can use there's. It is stupid to close that car park as the Library and Archives use to go on there. Fudge

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I believe that the Precinct car park has said people can use there's. It is stupid to close that car park as the Library and Archives use to go on there. Fudge

I think the beauty of the car park that has since closed, Fudge, was that it was quite literally only yards away from the theatre, which made it very easy for dropping off theatregoers who were elderly or disabled. I'm not sure that that can be reproduced so easily. As I said previously, very short-sighted of the council.

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2014, 02:08 PM »
The car park on Burlington Street which had been 'given' to New Charter to build on is reverting to a car park this month as they are unable to build there. It is not as near as the one on Cotton Street was but it is better than having to go to the precinct.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12 PM »
hi went a walk to ashton the other day , went by the old swimming baths ,no work started , then by the friendship pub , the work as now finished they are offices ,and it looks like some work is going on in st petersfield , henry square , earth movers at work , then i went up old street , the armoury still there un touched , then i went up oldham road by the tameside theatre , no work going on there, it now look worse for wear then when proposed work a good year ago . its sounds good all this work to be,  but knowt going on will tameside theatre ever open again, or will it come under the new college being built near charlestown station  :)

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2015, 10:14 PM »
Work has started on the baths, but it's inside so you can't see it, more clearance and repair at the moment. Tameside theatre (The Hippodrome) has just had a survey done and once the lease has been signed The Hippodrome Ltd will start work on the repairs, it should be reopened later this year.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Hi Vanessa Thank you for the update it is nice to here what is happening Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2015, 01:15 PM »
hi thanks vanessa ,good update great, it will be good to see live entertainment again

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I cant find any up date on the Theatre web site last one was Sept.and as phase 2 dropped of the radar.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Hi Too shy if the car park had been full of theatre goers the council would have been happy, but it will need more support than than it had in the past

Hi Heather re the car parks the council may have gave them away,I don't know how much they collect for parking but they will have do there sums on what will come in via the the rates   

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2015, 01:11 PM »
There are regular new updates posted on the Hippodrome's Facebook group. However, you would need to sign up to Facebook to read it.
(Link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/390099814350895/)
Martin

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2015, 08:36 AM »
I also remember going with my parents to see shows it was like London Palladium rows of ladies kicking there legs high. Don't think I ever saw till the end as I fell a sleep. Fudge

I was outside the Theatre Royal trying to get Eddy Calvert's autograph along with a few others. He just walked passed us without rudely saying a word. one of the girls waiting yelled  I hope your bloody trumpet goes rusty.    herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2015, 12:29 PM »
Date for opening 19th Aug 2016 great news Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2016, 12:11 PM »
hi can anyone give me a update on tameside theatre , been by several times there is no activity and its still boarded up hope it does get renewed , but it looks like the building is in a sad way and will end up being demolished i hope not :(