Author Topic: Tameside Theatre  (Read 79702 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: Tameside Theatre
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 09:27 AM »
The only thing I am worried is the ticket prices lots of shows I would love to see but the tickets are out of my price range. Fudge

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2012, 02:39 PM »
How does it compare with the Appolo in Mcr ?  Once stellar bands, reduce to it when they are no longer large, but can still fill that, it would be wonderful to see some good bands locally !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

keithdo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Hi Fudge, Ticket prices have to be negotiated to some extent with the incoming company as most shows are on a percentage of the box office. Generally speaking though our costs are lower than those of similar theatres and these savings will of course be passed on.
We are aiming for an average capacity of 68% to begin with. That's approximately 860 people per performance night, every night. So we HAVE to make the seats affordable in order to attract audiences. And ideally we'd like most people to make a regular monthly date at the Hippodrome because there's always something good on.
We will also have discount schemes - season tickets, gold and platinum memberships, the Firstnighters Club, family tickets and so on.
We're aiming to give the people of Tameside an affordable good night out without compromising the quality of shows. Watch this tightrope - lol!

Chrisand angie. The Apollo, Manchester has a flexible layout. Its maximum capacity is 3,500 (986 seats and 2514 standing). Fully seated it holds 2693 which is over twice the size of the Hippodrome (1262). It is essentially a major rock/band concert venue and its stage, capacity and general ambience is better suited to such productions. But of course not all bands - especially up and coming ones - can fill a venue that size. So watch for our programme!
And before anyone asks the seating capacity of the M.E.N. Arena is 21,000, which is larger than the O2 in London.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2012, 05:46 PM »
hi the last band i saw at tameside theatre was a johnny cash tribute band that was a couple of months before it closed, the theastre was not full but all those who were there enjoyed the music , i hope more bands local and afar becomes a venue tameside  :)

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Candi Staton and Shalamar filled the Theatre two or three years before it closed down.  It was a really good night.  Jeffrey Daniels is with Shalamar and he was one of the the main choreographers for Michael Jackson - absolutely a fabulous dancer. He taught Michael Jackson the Moonwalk - check him out on YouTube.  Many years ago saw Tony Christie (not my choice, husband liked him) there and also used to take my kids to the Sooty Show.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Hi Gay I loved the Sooty shows. Also the Ashton and Dukinfield Operatic's and The Panto at Christmas. Fudge

keithdo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Ashton and Dukinfield shows are back (actually just in from a presentation to Ashton O.S. Committee). Panto is booked for 2013.

keithdo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 12:31 AM »
NOW OPEN FOR BOOKING!

After four years and three months, seats are back on sale at the Hippodrome! To help with our fundraising we are offering sponsorship for the new seating. In return for a donation, sponsors will be able to have a seat dedicated to them or to someone they nominate and a small plaque to mark this will be affixed to a seat in the appropriate area.

Prices vary from 200 to 1000 per seat depending on your chosen location. Front stalls and dress circle are 1000, centre stalls and centre circle (front of the rear circle in effect) are 500 and rear seats are 200. The dedication will last for five years. SEND NO MONEY NOW but if you're interested please let me know and I'll let you have full details. Please note that seat A18 in the dress circle has already been allocated and will be dedicated in memory of Kevin C Howarth.

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Brilliant artist impression on face book it will go from Oldham Rd to Gas St they must have purchased the other building next to the theatre w Fhich was in the pipe line Fudge

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2012, 11:22 PM »
Great news about the theatre re-opening, love watching musicals such as blood brothers and having seen war of the worlds twice can understand that it wouldnt be able to be shown at a smaller venue but as a regular at the metro in bury they manage to put on varied performances. Groups that are coming down on popularity would fill the theatre, remember watching wishbone ash there years ago and with the tram links people will travel, and hopefully we can walk to a venue instead of going to bury, bring mountain to tameside.

keithdo

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Hi Lydia, We have negotiated that the last Metrolink tram will leave Ashton at 1am - so plenty of time to enjoy a performance, have a few drinks or a meal afterwards, maybe meet some of the cast, generally have a good night out and still be able to get home. And the theatre will only be about 200m from the Metrolink terminus.

keithdo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2012, 07:42 PM »
And if somebody tells me how to do it I can upload the artist's impression to here. Comments on it (good or bad) would be very welcome

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Hi Lydia, We have negotiated that the last Metrolink tram will leave Ashton at 1am - so plenty of time to enjoy a performance, have a few drinks or a meal afterwards, maybe meet some of the cast, generally have a good night out and still be able to get home. And the theatre will only be about 200m from the Metrolink terminus.

It's a pity that the transport organisers couldn't have cottoned on much earlier that allowing the last train to leave Manchester for Ashton and Mossley at something like eleven o'clock is next to useless for theatregoers who might still be enjoying their evening's entertainment at ten forty five in Manchester. Take my word for it, it is well nigh impossible for a couple of slightly overweight, semi-arthritis, asthmatic sixty year olds to get from the Opera House to Victoria Station with only ten minutes to do it in (and leaving the theatre with the show still not finished). Try approaching the transport authorities with this type of request (as I did some years ago) and they pass the buck quicker than you can say "hot potato".

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2012, 11:19 AM »
And if somebody tells me how to do it I can upload the artist's impression to here. Comments on it (good or bad) would be very welcome
The photo has to be online somewhere (such as Flickr, Photobucket, etc). You click the Insert Image icon and paste the URL of the image (not the Flickr page).

You have already uploaded the image to Facebook so that should do. Here it is:

By the way, a 1.00 am tram will only help people get home if they live near the tram line. What about potential theatregoers from Dukinfield, Hyde, Denton, Stalybridge, Mossley, Oldham, Glossop, Stockport, etc.?
Martin

keithdo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Thanks Martin, I'll try to upload the Gas Street view! I do take your point about the Metrolink. Another of its benefits is that people from North, West and South Manchester can drive to a convenient stop and then get the tram to avoid having to drive across Manchester, particularly in rush hour for an evening performance. This might also apply for people who live a long taxi ride from the theatre but a more affordable distance from a tram stop.
We are working on transport possibilities for the Tameside Districts. We have already secured 80 car park spaces and are negotiating with car park owners for more. We also have 6 x 52-seater coach stands. We have other ideas that we need to discuss with the relevant transport providers.
It is very important that people can not only get to the theatre but can get home afterwards - and that isn't necessarily immediately the curtain is down. And even able-bodied people sometimes have problems getting home from Manchester in the evening!