Author Topic: Family History  (Read 3332 times)

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
Family History
« on: April 01, 2012, 07:29 AM »
Could one of the family history buffs tell me if the name Jas
is short for Joseph, if not could you give the alternate if known?
Thanks Stella

ayess

• View Profile
Re: Family History
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Jas = James;  Jno = John;  Jos = Joseph;  Wm = William    Just a few of the usual ones

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:45 AM »
Also you can be looking for John and his name as been changed to Jack very confusing Fudge

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:14 PM »
Yes my dad was John but everybody called him Jack. My mum was Marion too, but was always Marie .
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Mary becomes Molly and Polly, Henry becomes Harry

Vanessa

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:43 PM »
gertrude is gert cut the rude part out. cheers kennetho

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 03:46 PM »
 p.s  sorry about that

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Hi Ashton Masher
                               Try Jasper   herby

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58 AM »
Thanks to you all I will try the Jasper. I am trying to trace my Dunkerley ancestors who seem to have bred like rabbits around Oldham and Ashton, its just like looking for a needle in an haystack especially when they all seem to love the same names. I have lost count how many Joseph Dunkerleys there are and Hannah's.
Well back to the chase..Stella

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 11:36 AM »
Helen often becomes Nelly which is somehow rather an ugly name. Sorry, all you Nellies out there :))
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

paul_b

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:19 PM »
I wonder were the saying, Not on your Nelly, comes from.

heather

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:59 PM »
The Urban Dictionary says

'cockney rhyming slang for not on your life. nelly rhymes with smelly, which leads to smelly breath, breath leads to breathing to keep alive, leading to not on your life.'

Another one says

'Short for 'not on your Nellie Duff!'; and 'Nellie Duff' rhymes with 'Puff', i.e. breath, i.e life.

In other words, "Not on your life!"'

Heather

Too shy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Mary becomes Molly and Polly, Henry becomes Harry

Vanessa

Being new to family history at the time, I was told by my father that he had had an "Aunty Polly." A second cousin of mine also supported this fact. Try as I might, I couldn't find this lady anywhere until I eventually arrived at the conclusion that she was the Mary Alice who kept popping up in my researches with such regularity.

I went with my father to register the death of his eldest sister who was a widow. Imagine my surprise when it was revealed that the "Aunt Sally" (no pun intended) who I had known and loved for so many years was, more correctly, Sarah Ann.

These traditions are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. For example, my grandson has gone straight to being Harry withought having to be a Henry first.

Other naming traditions that appear to have gone out through the back door in recent times are keeping particular (dare I say it in this oh so pc world) Christian names in a family. I appear to have had lots of Benjamins down the generations in my fathers family and, similarly, a succession of Thomases in my mother's. I hadn't the inclination to request that my grandsons inherit these names. I ponder on whether or not it would have been a valid request. Also, the tradition of using family surnames as middle names - appears to have sunk without trace. I am aware of it from some branches of my County Durham roots and also some relatives from north of the border.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 04:00 PM »
An Aunty Sally in our family was always called 'Cis' and my husband's grandmother used to call herself 'Cicely'. It was only when we had to register her death we found she was 'Ethel Mary'.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

margaretmakinson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Regarding Dunkerley family. We had a boy in Christ Church Junior School called Alan Dunkerley.  Can't remember much about him but he would now be 65'ish.  Regarding shortened or nick-names,  my grandma was called Sissy (her real name was Margaret) but she had six brothers and they all called her Sis or Sissy and it stuck.