Author Topic: THE SCRIMPERS  (Read 4051 times)

greeny

• View Profile
THE SCRIMPERS
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:15 PM »
HI  as any one been watching the scrimpers on tv monday night , i think it should be good one we might learn how to get by on the cheap in these hard times , i think the government should watch it to , when i went to school in the 50s and 60s i remember all the men teachers had patches on the elbow of the jackets ,were they bought like that or did they sew them on to make them last longer  :)  any tips to make your money go a bit further  :)

KENNETHO

• View Profile
Re: THE SCRIMPERS
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:43 PM »
yes send it to me in canada cheers kennetho

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:26 PM »
hi when making a brew with a tea bag , after put the tea bag in a platic food bag ,and you can get a least 3 more brews out of it  ;D

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Pause for thought.....
The four-day wait works. If you are about to buy something which isn't a necessity, and you have a little voice in your ear whispering to you, listen to it, and wait four days before you make the purchase. It gives you time to compare prices elsewhere, or to come up with an alternative, or even to decide that you don't need or want it. Works for me!
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28 PM »
Use packaging, you don't always need to bin it (in the recycling bin, of course). Cereal boxes make excellent file holders for storing papers. Cut off the top, trim the sides at an angle. Those bags inside cereal boxes can be used for wrapping bread or for using in the freezer. Wash them and use them again unless you've used them to wrap meats.
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Ask for help on facebook  ;D  I priced up some timber to make a nice picket enclosure for the chooks at B&Q. I then asked on FB if anybody knew anywhere cheaper. My friend told me to try Howarth timber on Katherine street . I rang them, better quality wood, twice the length for half the price  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:01 PM »

Atlas trading on Oldham Road is good for wood too and you can buy one length, not half a dozen like you do at B&Q. Its handy having Screwfix on the Moss too, you can order and pay online then go and pick it up at the depot, a lot cheaper than B&Q too.

Vanessa

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:23 PM »
You know who screwfix is owned by ?  Err B&Q  ;D   I bought a compressor from B&Q, and my friend, who is a gaffer there, told me to go to screwfix for my accessory pack  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I reuse tea bags too Greeny , good advice Meg, how many times do we get tempted by clever packaging? I luckily live near a very good open air market , so I get very fresh fruit and veg, and buy dry goods in bulk.
   My step father was in Italy after the war and he remembered little children going through the bins at the army base , eating left over porriage and tea leaves..so he never wasted food , and would get annoyed if anyone left food on their plate. So I always remember that story , left overs get eaten the next day or frozen .
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31 PM »
You know who screwfix is owned by ?  Err B&Q  ;D   I bought a compressor from B&Q, and my friend, who is a gaffer there, told me to go to screwfix for my accessory pack  ;D

Is that why B&Q never have what I want, its all at Screwfix.

Vanessa

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:30 PM »
Hi
          It's easy Buy what you need not what you want. I've tried to tell my youngest son this but it falls on deaf ears. Great big telly top music system house full of junk half my garage is filled with his stuff thats been used about twice. Credit is too easy to get these days.     herby   

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Had a 5 pair($14.95) pack of socks for Christmas,at the end of January I had holes in 2 and very thin in others(1 pair not worn)I have rough heels,but give me a break!I returned them and got my money back.I am still using last years socks.As for scrimping,I make a straight cut to remove the hole part from the heel,turn inside out,get the sewing machine out and sew it,put the socks on with the seam on the top of the instep.The better half gives me a hard time but what the heck.
Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11 PM »

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 02:13 PM »
People don't seem to darn socks anymore, I remember my friend arriving at school with her tights darned  ;D

Vanessa

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 04:03 PM »
i would like to know what kind of tea bags you get three brews from and how big are they?? i will pass on the third cuppa thankyou. cheers kennetho