Author Topic: BUS STOPS  (Read 3619 times)

greeny

• View Profile
BUS STOPS
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:20 PM »
hi went to manchester the other day on the 216 comming back from manchester at 5 0 pm , its a free for all getting the bus home what happened to the great british queue , and woman and children first , the bus arrived and it was mad panic to get on the bus people desended from nowhere i would not like to work down manchester today its a nightmare getting home  :)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: BUS STOPS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:44 PM »
It's been getting that way for a long time, Greeny. Sometimes the old folks can be the worst! I can remember in Bolton some 20+ years ago being elbowed aside by an old lady while queueing to board a 400 back to Ashton.

Mind you, I was elbowed aside by an old lady who pushed in front of me at a supermarket checkout in France last year, but then the French have never really got the hang of queuing...
Martin

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52 PM »
 ;D Hello honey i'm home  ;D   It's a scrum alright !  sometimes it is better to let them all scramble on, and let them dissapear, another 2 empty ones will appear soon !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Ashtonian54

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18 AM »
;D Hello honey i'm home  ;D   It's a scrum alright !  sometimes it is better to let them all scramble on, and let them dissapear, another 2 empty ones will appear soon !

That then go on to overtake the full one!
I remember that!

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:24 AM »
Just reading greeny's post and noticed he used the term 'down Manchester' which prompts the question do people still go 'up' to Ashton (or town), 'down to Manchester and 'over' to Mossley ?.

Back on topic,  :) Even the Asians form queues in NZ which seems strange, maybe they've learnt the hard way not to push in front of a big Maori or Polynesian  :D
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:51 AM »
Just reading greeny's post and noticed he used the term 'down Manchester' which prompts the question do people still go 'up' to Ashton (or town), 'down to Manchester and 'over' to Mossley ?.

'Town' always means Manchester and not Ashton. I hear people say they are going 'down Ashton' even if they are somewhere like Penny Meadow. I have only ever lived on the north side of Ashton (apart from when I lived down South). Do people from the West End talk of going 'up Ashton'?
Martin

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30 AM »
well we from hurst always went down to ashton and up to pike cheers kennetho

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56 AM »
'Town' always means Manchester and not Ashton. I hear people say they are going 'down Ashton' even if they are somewhere like Penny Meadow. I have only ever lived on the north side of Ashton (apart from when I lived down South). Do people from the West End talk of going 'up Ashton'?
That's what I thought, living in Droylsden we always went 'down' to Manchester (or town) and up to Ashton, if we went to Yorkshire [shudders] we always went 'over', I s'pose as in over't 'tops (they were never called the Pennines or hills for some reason)  ;)
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:54 AM »

Living in the west-end as a little lad we always went "up Ashton". Stands to reason when you went "down Manchester".    Ayess

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06 AM »
The places I have livid we have always gone down to Ashton and up home after. but when I worked at the Police Station I us to say up to Ashton. If I go to M/c its down town. Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:43 AM »
hi if you live in the west end its up ashton ,down manchester ,up oldham ,up hyde up dukinfield down stalybrige , up mossley , up hust,and if you live in bardsley it going to oldham and down ashton  :D

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48 PM »
We still go down to Ashton, even though we live in it  ;D  Town is Manchester  ;D, that is written in stone !
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

pamela

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Good geography lesson there, we used to call Manchester "town" "i work in town "(if you wanted to show off). Oldham was" up to Oldham "and "over "to Leeds etc , so it must refer to the Pennine way
Politicians and nappies should be changed frequently...and for the same reason!!!