Author Topic: Newton Hall Dig  (Read 28327 times)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Newton Hall Dig
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Hello Martin  :)   I do hope your remark was just good-humoured fun,

Of course, Joyce! That was why there was a smiley with it!

We have had something approaching saturation coverage of Richard III in the UK, as you might imagine, so it was indeed somewhat interesting (and refreshing) to read the Canadian connection. Sorry if you thought I was saying otherwise!
Martin

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2013, 05:34 PM »
Joyce - if you ever meet your illustrious neighbour don't forget to curtsey and call him "my liege".

There has just been a 90 minute documentary on the BBC about the discovery and tests done to confirm our Dickie's his identity. One lady associated with the project and who is a member of the Richard The Third Society (no, I had never heard of it either) was rather tearful throughout and at one point had to leave the room overcome with emotion. There are now murmuring of trying to locate Alfred The Great but personally I think that is overambitious. I've not seen him for ages.

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Phew!  Thanks Martin - your words are reassuring.   There's more about this in today's paper but I won't go on about it now, except to say I believe Michael (of the UK) is going to come and give some kind of lecture on this here in London later in the year.  At the University, I think.   ;D

Hi Son-of-Nomad....I'd be glad to call him "my liege", but I think it's not too likely I'll meet my illustrious neighbour - at least until Spring, as we "oldies" over here have a tendency to hibernate during our long winter!   ;D   And anyway, if I curtsied I'm not sure I'd be able to straighten up again as I'd probably freeze in that position!   Our temps. have been down to minus24C at night a couple of weeks ago, and it's not looking too warm for a while yet.   Roll on Spring - the sooner the better for me.  Take care of yourself....Joyce   ;D

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03 PM »
hi after finding richard 111 they still wondering where to bury him some say leicester and his family say york , hope is family dont get billed for the funeral , as he being a yorkist i say york  :)

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02 PM »
hi i see the car park king ,king  richard the third is to be be laid to rest in leicester cathedral on the 26 march 2015 , he was paraded through leicester on sunday there was a massive turn out , it was nice to know a distant relative from canada made the oak coffin for the king , he will lie in state till thursday  they have even made a crown to stand on top of the coffin , i think there will be a bigger turn out on thursday , i bet he never would have thought the pomp that is given to day , after he was killed in the battle of bosworth and how he was treated then and thrown in is resting place at grey friars , i bet the florist mad a fortune on the white roses , all we need now is to find alfred the great so he can have a good send off  :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2015, 03:54 PM »
I watched the full programme last night I thought in some parts it was very emotional wish I could be there on thursday Fudge

Denise

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Public queuing to see his coffin had over 4 hour wait today.
Richard would never have had such a send-off even if he'd reigned longer and died naturally.  Controversial monarch who was allegedly responsible for the deaths of the young Princes in the Tower. Leicester City Council among other interested parties spent 250,000 on legal wrangles over where he should be buried, and there are still doubts among the experts that these are indeed Richard's remains.
You're only given a little spark of madness, don't waste it!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2015, 04:22 PM »
hi they have the remains of the two princes in westminster abbey , i believe that they wanted the remains to be tested to see if they were the princes ,but west minster abbey have reclined to let that happen .they were found under some stairs at the tower of london a few hundred years later then there deaths

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2015, 04:50 PM »
Like the lady on the Richard III programme the other day said, all kings of that era did unsavoury things yet ended up in cathedrals e.g. King John who had to be 'frogmarched' into signing the Magna Carta is buried in Worcester Cathedral. I've never been into history to any great extent but I did feel we were witnessing a truly unexpected and unique event. Surely we must give 'old Dicky' some credit for having the guts to ride into battle. No king since has had the cojones to do it!

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2015, 02:18 PM »
hi i suppose the black knight from ashton wave a money at the church so he would buy is ticket to heaven  :)

PJackson

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Surely we must give 'old Dicky' some credit for having the guts to ride into battle. No king since has had the cojones to do it!

Actually, George II was our last king to lead an army in battle, in 1743.
There were others in between, such as Charles I during the civil war.

Son of Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42 AM »
You're probably correct - I was just repeating what presenters said several times on television - but I'm no historian.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2015, 02:41 PM »
hi it looks like they could be looking for another car park king , henry 1    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/could-another-english-king-buried-under-car-park-102538142.html#HPxHBVR

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2015, 03:36 AM »
Any more and we'll see these going up all over the shop.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.