Author Topic: Newton Hall Dig  (Read 27652 times)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
Re: Newton Hall Dig
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Martin,

You deserve a day off - must have time for yourself sometimes

Taking photos is much less tiring that operating canal locks!
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Don't Forget its the open weekend Sunday and Monday. Fudge

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 04:49 PM »
What a Fantastic day we have had weather kept good for us and lots enjoyed it so much some  are returning tomorrow. Another find seconds after Martin left a wall that goes behond the sites history and they were talking about funding to dig futher in the future. Thats great news Canon kept going of muskets kept shooting drums rolls . Hope it keeps fine tomorrow. Fudge

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Yes! Fudge, I thoroughly enjoyed the day - but very cold and draughty in the Hall.  Every time the cannon went off I jumped out of my skin.  Lots going on and Brian Grimsditch told me that they have evidence of occupation of the site prior to the Hall being built.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2012, 07:29 PM »
I saw the newly-discovered wall before I left, Fudge! It was believed to have been older than the brick extension to the hall that was next to it, but I don't think it was thought to be older than the hall itself. However, there are ditches that were found earlier in the dig that were older than the hall, so indicated that the land was occupied before the 1380s.

Anyone who has not been to see the dig, tomorrow (Monday) is the last chance. The second Open Day will be in progress, similar to today's. The trenches will be filled in next week, so lost to sight until such time as another dig might happen there.

From today - a bit of a bang...
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I Martin Sorry I thought you had left before it turned up. And they were saying it was a earlier phase so things keep changing all the time. Gay it was warmer out side than in the Hall the Stone floors seem to hold the cold in Fudge

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 11:52 AM »
hi i believe there as been a dig in leicester under a car park where the body of king richard the third was buried , they found the body and wanted it re  buried in westminster abbey but i think it going to remain in leicester, not heard the final outcome ?  :)

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 12:24 PM »
I Thought they were doing DNA to see if it is him Fudge

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2012, 03:27 PM »
They are, a Canadian man claims direct descent, so they are conducting a  Y Chromosome DNA Test. This may lead to more problems if the Canadian man's ancestry includes any so called intrusive events.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 11:02 AM »
hi thanks if it turns out to be richard the third would the remains stay in leicester or would he have a grave in westminster abbey as he was the last of the plantagenets ???  :) 

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57 PM »
According to Newsnight, the usual archaeological protocol is for bodies to be re-interred near to where they were exhumed, so they think Leicester is favourite.

greeny

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 11:56 AM »
hi thanks, i think he should remain in leicester he was not the best of kings

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Great  conference on Newton Hall dig this morning and it looks like we might be having another with late evidence turning up. The  afternoon was a speaker on the on going digs in York which was Realy good in 2011 they uncovered 28 bodies beheaded some had other injuries some had heads placed near them others just thrown in they discovered they were Gladiators. Other Graves with lovely grave goods and cremations some from Romans some from Anglo Saxon. Lots of Viking archaeology I could go on . Really stirred my imagination Fudge

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2012, 08:56 PM »
Would have loved to come, but had to attend my own AGM in Mobberley today.  Excellent speaker from Chester Record Office about the future of Archives made it worthwhile though.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2012, 11:59 AM »
  Hi Fudge did you see any of my relations at York???
                        A SAXON