Author Topic: Newton Hall Dig  (Read 28326 times)

Fudge

• View Profile
Newton Hall Dig
« on: January 23, 2012, 02:54 PM »
The History Forum have secured a Lottery Grant to continue with a dig. It will be done over a period of 3 weeks with a extra two days linking what as be discovered over the tree weeks. Dates are Monday 16th April 2012 times 930am till 1200pm 1230pm till 3pm till 6th May 2012 excluding the Sunday 22nd 2012.
Press Release this week in local papers. Dates and how to book a showing will be given later. Fudge

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
Re: Newton Hall Dig
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:40 AM »
Is Baldrick going to be there ?.  ;)
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Jules2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Sorry, no he won't, he's here in Adelaide filming for his next T.V. show.  This is a photo of him with my great niece taken on the weekend.  Gosh, I'm only two degrees of separation from Mr. Bean!!

Ashtonian54

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Actually, I have a question.

What is the best city to live in Australia?
Darwin, Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane or Cairns?
Our Neice and her family are moving next year.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Can I answer your question some other questions ?;

Where are they moving from ?.

Will they be seeking employment ?.

Are they able to support themselves for 12 months without state assistance ?.

Can they handle heat, cold, isolation, racism, extortionate booze prices,  flies and mozzies, snakes and other bity things ?.

Darwin is hot, wet and isolated and has cyclones.
Perth is hot mostly, isolated and can get cyclones.
Adelaide and Melbourne are possibly best suited to Europeans, can get hot in summer but mostly temperate, diverse culture mix, best  of the bunch IMHO.
Canberra, just don't even think about it ok ?.
Sydney, New York for beginners, expensive to break into but good rewards.
Brisbane, nice climate, nice people, just make sure you stay north of the river and avoid the Gold Coast at all costs.
Cairns, hot, wet, cyclonic and getting expensive in places.

Have they considered NZ, a.k.a. Godzone ?  ;)

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Ashtonian54

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23 AM »
Can I answer your question some other questions ?;

Where are they moving from ?.

Will they be seeking employment ?.

Are they able to support themselves for 12 months without state assistance ?.

Can they handle heat, cold, isolation, racism, extortionate booze prices,  flies and mozzies, snakes and other bity things ?.

Darwin is hot, wet and isolated and has cyclones.
Perth is hot mostly, isolated and can get cyclones.
Adelaide and Melbourne are possibly best suited to Europeans, can get hot in summer but mostly temperate, diverse culture mix, best  of the bunch IMHO.
Canberra, just don't even think about it ok ?.
Sydney, New York for beginners, expensive to break into but good rewards.
Brisbane, nice climate, nice people, just make sure you stay north of the river and avoid the Gold Coast at all costs.
Cairns, hot, wet, cyclonic and getting expensive in places.

Have they considered NZ, a.k.a. Godzone ?  ;)

From Burnley, East Lancs.

Yes, he's fully experienced in logistics and recently became a Chartered Accountant

Yes

They have friends moving there shortly, house up for sale etc..

We'll see.

I'll keep you informed

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 06:41 AM »
Hi
     Try Sydney North Shore or Northern Beaches I lived in Newport Beach for twenty odd years it' on a pennisular Pacific ocean one side and Pittwater on the other side (it's an inlet about seven miles long) It's ten minutes walk in between. A great pub sits on Pittwater and there are plenty of R s l clubs. It's  one of the loveliest places in Sydney the only draw back is it's twenty miles from the heart of Sydney and if you work there it's a slow crawl to work every morning if you are a nine to fiver I was in the building trade and up at five every mornng so it didn't affect me so much The houses are dear there now I believe I paid thirty eight thousand dollars for mine and sold it ten years later for 240000 ten years later and that was twenty two years ago. Good luck herby
    Ps If you have ever watched Home an Away they film that on the pennisular

Dannyx6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:40 AM »
Just had the fourth family arrive from Lancashire, unfortunately for them, we have just suffered an 8 day Heat Wave, 38C-42C plus, I think it was a shock to their systems. Still being young, they seem to weather all these obstacles. To-day 37C and tomorrow back to 42C Western Australia needs a bit of getting used to. There is work aplenty at this time further North and in the mines and Ore. A lot of fly in fly out work. No one seems to be hanging about work wise though at the moment. Even the married ladies have attained full and part time work in offices plus other principles have been advertised. Sad the price of housing has gone through the roof over the past couple of years. Perth now become one of the most expensive places to live. Lots of lovely places opening up though and the influx of migrants is growing fast.
New South Wales and Victoria seems to be a 'winner' with the young ones, they feel there is more to do socially than here in the wild west.
Canberra a no no!! in many ways.
Queensland is also a lovely place, depending on work!
I think new migrants need to travel out as far as they can during their breaks to actually find their 'dream' area. A lot of people love Tasmania, some relate it to England. New Zealand is also a lovely place if you live in the right areas and away from the spasmodic quakes of late.
We have loved most places we have lived here in Oz, been lucky work wise. The place has changed dramatically over the years and some times you wonder where the Australia you came out to 40 odd years back has gone to!! it has changed with the times and caught up with the rest of the world. You soon make friends if you are that way inclined.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 03:56 AM »
Good point Danny, totally forgot about the Apple Isle, it's got some of the nicest scenery and beaches in the whole of OZ and contrary to popular opinion most of the residents are pretty normal and not the pointy headed six toed inbreeds that some Aussies would have you believe  ;) Even the climate is like Lancashire in winter  :)

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Hi
     Yes Tassie's a nice place we went there last year to visit my mate he's lived there for the last ten years and wouldn't move anywhere else. Like me is retired though and I don't know how the employment thing is, it remiknded me a lot of England back in the sixtys it's a lot more laid back than Sydney was when I lived there and there wasn't any rush hour that I ever saw. There is some lovely places we were near Burney that 's at the top end of Tassie also went round Launceston thats a nice place too. The climate is a lot like England so that might suit you too.    herby

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:13 PM »
The Dig started today at Newton Hall lots of interesting things coming to light I am on finds and thought there would not be many today already I am mowed out with them as I must have washed and catalogued a full glass window that took well over a hour. If you are passing over the next 3 weeks call in an have a look some one will show you round. Bank holiday weekend Sunday and Monday there is going to be people re enacting , flint knapping and various other things taking place. Martin was there today taking photo's so I bet some will be appearing on Blog or this site. Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 07:26 PM »
Indeed, Fudge. It so happens that the ABC Wednesday thing has reached "N" this week....
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 04:14 PM »
Lots of fines turning up at the dig lots of visitors Martin calls most day taking photo's of what is taking place and finds for a historic record of the site. Every time he goes another interesting find comes in. So will show him on Monday do come along and view if you can. You will be made welcome. Fudge

chrisandangie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 04:36 PM »
I think we will pop and have a look tomorrow , but I know it will just ignite my need for a metal detector  ;D
If it sounds too good to be true,it probably is!

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 05:44 PM »
I think we will pop and have a look tomorrow , but I know it will just ignite my need for a metal detector  ;D

I wouldn't do that, Chris - it isn't open on Sunday!

Fudge - what did you find after I left, then? I had to leave at that time. It's taken me more than two hours to get today's photos sorted, resized and uploaded to the album site with titles.
Martin