Author Topic: George Formby Senior  (Read 9481 times)

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
George Formby Senior
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:05 PM »
I have been asked to help spread awareness of a campaign to get a blue plaque erected to commemorate George Formby Senior, who was born in Hodgson Street, Ashton under Lyne, and later lived on Crickets Lane, although he moved to Wigan at around the age of 15.

Father of George 'When I'm Cleaning Windows' Formby junior, George senior was a successful music-hall entertainer in his own right.

More about George senior and the blue plaque campaign can be found here:
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/history_doorstep/plaque.html
Martin

Fudge

• View Profile
Re: George Formby Senior
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:45 PM »
That was a brilliant story They say you learn something new every day will be proud to se a blue plaque for him . Fudge

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:29 PM »
My friend Trevor is trying to raise funds to pay for the plaque, as the Council isn't interested.
Martin

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Didn't know that, brilliant, where is Hodgson street please

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:21 PM »
It's not just the council - two of the members of our history forum are consulted regarding who should receive a blue plaque.  I've tried for two of my ancestors without much luck.  One for our Stalybridge Mayor who converted to Islam in the 1890s and became the leader of the Islamic community in Manchester and was of much help to the Caliph of Turkey.  Also for Blind Jack of Knaresborough (John Metcalfe) road-builder who built two of the turnpike roads in Tameside and who lived at Spout house at Gee Cross for a while with his daughter and son-in-in-law in the 1770s.  He was a most remarkable Yorkshireman.  Totally blinded from the age of six he eloped with his wife on the eve of her marriage to another, fought at Culloden, ran the first stage coach business in Harrogate, was not averse to a little smuggling and was the first industrial road-builder, pre-dating Telford and Macadam.  Most of his descendants ended up living in Hyde.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:11 AM »
Hodgson Street is where the previous fire station used to be, off Margaret Street.

I don't know the details, Gay, but it seems the council has declined to support this, apparently, so the campaigners are trying to finance it by public donation. Apparently Ashton Pioneer Homes have agreed to put the plaque on one of their properties close to Hodgson Street. There is a blue plaque at the Diggle entrance to Standedge Tunnel commemorating Thomas Telford that was privately commissioned by the Newcomen Society.
Martin

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:34 AM »
Thank you, know where it is now :)

ayess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:27 AM »
Martin, I was interested to read your post regarding a blue plaque to commemorate George Formby Senior, purely altruistic. My great aunts used to tell me, in pre-war days, of how their brother Herbert, my grandfather, ran away from home with a lad name Jimmy Booth to follow a circus. The only record I have of him is his name on my late mother's birth certificate from 1906 where he is recorded as Herbert Cecil Shaw, must have gone up in the world, profession, Music Hall Artiste. I cannot find him, or his wife, Catherine McGee, in the 1901 or 1911 English censuses nor marriage or death certificates. I have been in contact with the people who know about music halls and circuses at the Royal Hollaway University in London, to no avail. I have a suspicion that they may have been on the halla in Ireland. Our Herbert is my only missing link.    Ayess

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 10:05 AM »
And there was me thinking that running away to join the circus was something that only happened in stories!
Martin

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:05 PM »
Ayess,

You could try searching the Irish 1901 and 1911 census returns free on-line at: http://www.nationalarchives.ie/ also Itish civil Registration indexes for free at:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1408347
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 09:41 PM »
I'm in two minds over this coz we bought one of them George Formby Grills last year and so far I've been singularly unimpressed, the BBQ does a far better job and it's not so much of a bugger to keep clean.  :-\
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

Kiwi

• ɐoɹɐǝʇo∀ ɯoɹɟ ɐɹO ɐᴉʞ
    • View Profile
    • Central Hawkes Bay NZ
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 10:21 PM »
There is a blue plaque at the Diggle entrance to Standedge Tunnel commemorating Thomas Telford that was privately commissioned by the Newcomen Society.

Looks like BW, the Huddersfield Canal Society and Oldham Council chipped in as well.
"We don't want blood all over the lawn and the hounds are fagged out from yesterdays Jehovah's witnesses"

ashtonmasher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 03:55 AM »
Thank you Martin for this about George Formby senior. Have always been a big fan of Jr George and have tapes and records, but never knew of the connection with AUL
I have passed this on to a relative who in his fan club in Blackpool.
Stella

KENNETHO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 05:03 AM »
i bet they haven't got one of his grills ha ha kennetho

Fudge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 09:39 AM »
I have got a signed photo of George Formby Junior  and a autograph and also a signed photo of Grace Formby. My mum got them in the early 30s at the theatre in Newcastle on Tyne Fudge