Author Topic: Ashton Town Centre Christmas Day  (Read 6911 times)

Jayess

• View Profile
Re: Ashton Town Centre Christmas Day
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 01:50 AM »
Hi Joyce-- I remember the Majestic very well for a friend of my girl (Later my Wife) used to let us in without paying.. I think it was named Gaumont later. Used to be big queues on Friday & Saturday nights but we avoided joining them if she was working. It was on Old Street & a little further along on the Right (going towards the Library) was the Pavillion.
 I also remember the Pub on the corner of Old St & Warrington St where there was always a lot of young blokes drinking & playing Cards for money.  One night the Cops raided it & a friend & myself were out at the back so we climbed over the wall  & dropped down near a seat where a old Couple were sat --Frightened the life out of them but they didn`t Dob us in to the Cops. Never went in that pub again. I was 16 at the time & my father would have given me a good hiding if had he found out. --Jayess

herby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34 AM »
Hi Jayess
                 That would of been the Cotton Tree.  I left in 65 and haven't been back.  herby

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I enjoyed your video, Vanessa. Very evocative somehow. One thing that did strike me (a sign of the times, I suppose) was that most shops have steel shutters. Wouldn't be able to go 'shop winder fuddlin' as my Dad used to call it (window shopping in other words).
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Joyce_in_Canada

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Spent many happy hours at Sunday early evening movies at the Majestic/Gaumont so I could escape the "family gossip" at Grandma's - but now wish I'd stayed home and listened to!   ;) 
At a much younger age I remember so well Mom & Dad taking my little brother and I "window" gazing in The Avenue around Christmas time, always on a Sunday afternoon.  That way we knew there was no way all the lovely toys and games displayed in the big windows could be asked for!  And, as I remember, The Avenue seemed to be so much bigger then than it looks now!  I wonder why everything shrinks as you get older?   :D   ;D ;D ;D

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 08:13 PM »
There was a shorter section of the avenue behind me, the part between the market and Old Street, but it wasn't a nice sight as it was completely shuttered and has lost the old feeling of the section in the film. One thing I found very eerie was the Arcades, as you walked passed the music was still playing very loudly with no one to listen, it felt a bit like a Stephen King Horror Movie, I kept expecting to see the ghosts of two little girls stood in the middle of the road, very creepy.

Vanessa

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 02:36 AM »
Herby-- I thought it was called "Cotton Tree" but I was not certain for I have forgotten the names & places of the Pubs . I still remember the Miners at the corner of Montague Rd & Mossley Rd & the New Inn for I did frequent them before I left Ashton.  I left there in1948 to live in Denton,then Hyde & then bought a house in Denton --Sold it & arrived in Aussie in March 1958 --Went back to UK in 1990- had 7 wks touring UK & Scotland &  4 wks in Europe & finished with 5 days in Singapore. --Jayess

GayJ

• Dukky Duck
    • View Profile
    • Tameside Family History
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 01:00 PM »
The Miner's Arms was the pub we sneaked into (under age) at the Grammar School. Of course some sixth formers were over 18.
Don't let the B***ds grind you down.

jaywit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Last again? Happy New Year to all.
Dull and mild, +5 today -9 tomorrow.Brrrr.

Meg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 01:58 PM »
"The Miners' Arms" still on Mossley Rd (or was until abt 4 yrs ago)  Gay- were you one of the naughty Grammar school girls drinking in there at lunch times? I was swotting up my Latin, of course  ;D
"Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open"  Thomas Dewar

Martin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.ashton-under-lyne.com
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 02:39 PM »
When I was in the sixth form of my school (a long way from Ashton) we used to slip across the road into the pub some lunchtimes. There would always be a little group of teachers in there, too. The teachers and the sixth formers would sit in different area, each group pretending not to notice the other!

When I later became a teacher, I sometimes wondered how I would have managed as a teacher in the afternoons if I'd gone out for a drink at lunch time. I'd probably have fallen asleep!
Martin

lydia

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 12:48 AM »
Used to go in the cottage opp new inn but much later than grammar school as didnt go in pubs till I was at college and then it was the swan and white horse, had been going in the white horse for ages and was asked by the landlord what we celebrating and I replied " its my 18th birthday", but I loved cockbrook in those days, many happy times and then later went in the cottage, great times

Jayess

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 01:22 AM »
Lydia -- I forgot the Cottage but I went into the Snug there many times when I was young kid but it was taking a Jug to be filled for a elderly couple that lived oppisite us in Hope St. Used to walk back up one of the Ginnals & keeping taking a sip. Then when my playmate & I would get nearly to the end we would call into a backyard that had a tap & top it up. It was the only house that had a tap in the back yard & the old lady that lived there had put there so the old Rag & Bone man could give his Donkey a drink.  Never got found out --Jayess

Vanessa

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 03:01 PM »
My uncle (now 91), used to go and get a jug of beer for his grandad who lived on Union Street. One day grandad said to him, "tell him to bloody fill it up this time". So off he went (I think there was an off license door so you didn't go in the pub), he handed the jug to the landlord "granddad said to bloody fill it up this time", to which the landlord replied "tell your grandad that when he pays what is owed, then I'll bloody fill it up". On the way home he had a sip, but thought it was horrible (changed his mind when he grew up), when he handed it over, grandad said "have you been supping this", my uncle put on an innocent face "no grandad", but grandad must have smelled the beer on his breath, but didn't say anymore. Can you image sending a kid to the pub for grandads beer now.

Vanessa